Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is our basketball team gonna improve?

vCash

How is our basketball team gonna improve?

We have 3 3-stars and an UR player signed. We're 10th in the sec in composite, but the teams we're ahead of only have 1 commit or 2. Our avg per recruit is worst in the sec. In fact our avg per recruit is the worst in the sec since 2020 mizzou.

ETA... in 2020 mizzou only signed 1 guy. The last time a school signed 3 or more with an avg per recruit at 86 or lower was South Carolina in 2016.
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-11-2023 at 09:12 PM.

vCash
    Welcome to Mid-Major recruiting. Transfers brought in on current team about the same or even less. Still early, but looking like another questionable hire as a parting gift from "The smartest guy in the room." Hope I'm wrong. I called this team fun to watch earlier in the year. Now, brutal to watch.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 01-11-2023 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    Jans has been busting it on the recruiting trail. He's made some inroads with really good talent, but he needs to be able to get their signatures.

We will be relying on transfers this next season and our nil is much better organized than last season. I hope he's able to figure the recruiting piece out because he's a heck of a coach.

vCash
    Jans is a really good coach but he needs to get a recruiting coordinator to get to the next level. We went from Howland being a great recruiter to an outdated coaching style to Jans who is a really good coach with a talent deficit. If we can just get some 4 star shooters that will be the key to competing in this league.

vCash
    Jan?s? tenure will be determined in the transfer portal and on the recruiting trail. Our current model isn?t sustainable at the power 5 level, you have to have scorers.

vCash
    I?m starting to doubt his coaching ability. Our 5 starters shot 5-20 on free throws tonight. And this is half way through the season. It?s a glaring problem that is fixable. I could do better left handed and blind folded. We are giving out scholarships to guys who can?t make a free throw 75% of the time!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    Jan?s? tenure will be determined in the transfer portal and on the recruiting trail. Our current model isn?t sustainable at the power 5 level, you have to have scorers.
    And I would like to add that he brought in 5 transfers, none of which are very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    And I would like to add that he brought in 5 transfers, none of which are very good.
    Agreed, but he didn't stand much of a chance with our NIL situation. We had zero organization last spring.

vCash
    Maybe when OM fires Kermit, we can convince Murrell to come here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    I?m starting to doubt his coaching ability. Our 5 starters shot 5-20 on free throws tonight. And this is half way through the season. It?s a glaring problem that is fixable. I could do better left handed and blind folded. We are giving out scholarships to guys who can?t make a free throw 75% of the time!!!!
    Yeah because let's blame lack of free throw shooting on coaching ability. Dumb.

vCash
    Tolu and Jeffries need to sit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I don't know what the issue is, but tolu, Moore, and DJ's FT % is down considerably.

vCash
    It?s simple? teach the players HOW TO SHOOT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Jans does have to take some blame here though. He can't make the shots but he has to be able to scheme, make adjustments, have the offense flowing. I haven't seen that at all, especially in the half court. And His recruiting so far is just bad.

This is probably the worse offense if seen since I've been following State in the 90's. That's on the coach no matter how you slice it. Howland got more out of DJ, Tolu and Shak than I've seen from Jans. I have seen an increase in Matthews game but he is just a tough nosed hard worker and would be that under any coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know what the issue is, but tolu, Moore, and DJ's FT % is down considerably.
    Do you remember a few weeks ago Jans said all of his teams are typically ahead on the defensive end but are still a work in progress on offense? Honestly maybe he's focusing on defense too much.. I mean we look completely horrendous on offense. Jans isn't an offensive guy but he's going to have to get that figured out soon because you are not winning on a consistent basis at the SEC level by only playing defense

vCash
    Truly don't know how to explain a Div I team shooting sub 50% FT in conference. That is just inexplicable.

vCash
    Kenpom has our offensive efficiency sitting at 181. Bart Torvik has us at 224. Those are unacceptable at the power 5 level. Factor in we were 355th in the country before going 7/22 at the free throw stripe and we?re legitimately looking at the worst offense in major college basketball.

vCash
    Maybe when OM fires Kermit, we can convince Murrell to come here.
    The portal is the only way to improve. Have to get some NIL funds and get a player like Murrell. Would make a massive difference.

vCash
    The game has been allowed to become too physical. There were a couple of fouls called tonight that should not, many not called that should have, and still a whole lot of fouls called. The bodying up has become way to physical yet they call ticky tack fouls. Our guys shoot poorly because the continue to rush their shots before contact when they find themselves open by a foot. It is rugby on a basketball court. I saw some shots tonight that didn?t even look like the player had the ball anywhere near proper shooting position. Many times, it just looks like they know the contact is coming and just push the ball in the direction of the backboard. So the physical play is hurting the game in the paint.

Unfortunately, our guys can?t make an uncontested shot either, whether wide open or from the Charity Stripe. I remember when we complaining about the college game being to boring because of scores in the 70?s while the NBA was scoring in the 100?s to 110?s. Now, college games are playing in the 50?s. Ouch!

vCash
    Can?t blame the Coach for FT?s.

A college athlete is by himself at the FT line unguarded. Those misses are on the players. I literally made 6/10 and 5/10 over Christmas break working with my sons and they challenged me cause I was getting on their ass about missed FT?s. Needless to say they STFU now.

If a team is getting open shots and missing them? That?s on the player and there may be a lack of talent.

If a team struggles to get open shots? That?s on the coach because his offense isn?t creating open shots

We are getting open looks under Jan. Now we got to recruit better shooters
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is