Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to be careful

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Need to be careful

Here is my 2 cents take it for what it?s worth to you

The new AD is the Oklahoma dude.

The rest of the SEC is not waiting on us to hire a OC. We have needs on offense. The portal closes soon. We are not getting any offensive transfers (we need them) right now bc they don?t know what we are going to run. It is past time. If we are going to use a TE/H (we need to) we are going to have to get 2 or 3 from the portal. We very now are going to have a TE coach with no TEs on the roster. Doesnt make much sense.

Other schools are offering our kids money. Serious money. Im not going to name names but its some kids that we really need and some kids that have done nothing but right by us and even turned down money so other kids would stay with us. And yes those other schools are you think they are and are offering that money thru some folks that love to tell others how to act and what to do with their time. We need to pull the trigger on a OC soon in my opinion.

Turner is great, I am ok with Friend. Bumphis is a legend. But these are all types of coaches we have tried to win big with before and it didnt work out. You are not going to beat Bama by trying to out name them on your staff. Basically we are doing the exact opposite of what Leach did with the staff. Hiring based on being a name and not on loyalty or what you personally believe or value. Leach was a dinosaur in some ways that we needed to change, but his culture and his values are why people loved him and We do not need to lose that in my opinion. I love Arnett seems like a great dude and he coached hard. We will see how it goes.

vCash
    What the frig is taking so long on hiring an OC? Is Arnett having to run this by the Cigar boys for approval?

vCash
    Problem is Arnett's experience or lack thereof. You never put all your eggs in one basket.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Too late. Arnett showed the staff how loyal he is by firing most of them. And anyone who doesn't think the OC search is an abject failure to this point is a maroon suck up. He is off to an awful start. No offensive direction, 3 of the 4 qb on campus walked, and no OC for us to bring in transfers at this point.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Too late. Arnett showed the staff how loyal he is by firing most of them. And anyone who doesn't think the OC search is an abject failure to this point is a maroon suck up. He is off to an awful start. No offensive direction, 3 of the 4 qb on campus walked, and no OC for us to bring in transfers at this point.
    Our offense has sucked against anyone worth a shit and Arnett saw it up close and personal. He’s trying to fix that side of the ball, because it’s broken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Our offense has sucked against anyone worth a shit and Arnett saw it up close and personal. He?s trying to fix that side of the ball, because it?s broken.
    Yeah but fixing it didn't necessarily mean you had to burn it to the ground. I think most here would agree that a few tweaks would've prolly been sufficient.

vCash
    Im not here to bash Arnett. Or cause a panic. I like Arnett I am just giving my 2 cents like I posted. We needed to change the offense a little bit. We dont need to change the most important parts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Here is my 2 cents take it for what it?s worth to you

The new AD is the Oklahoma dude.

The rest of the SEC is not waiting on us to hire a OC. We have needs on offense. The portal closes soon. We are not getting any offensive transfers (we need them) right now bc they don?t know what we are going to run. It is past time. If we are going to use a TE/H (we need to) we are going to have to get 2 or 3 from the portal. We very now are going to have a TE coach with no TEs on the roster. Doesnt make much sense.

Other schools are offering our kids money. Serious money. Im not going to name names but its some kids that we really need and some kids that have done nothing but right by us and even turned down money so other kids would stay with us. And yes those other schools are you think they are and are offering that money thru some folks that love to tell others how to act and what to do with their time. We need to pull the trigger on a OC soon in my opinion.

Turner is great, I am ok with Friend. Bumphis is a legend. But these are all types of coaches we have tried to win big with before and it didnt work out. You are not going to beat Bama by trying to out name them on your staff. Basically we are doing the exact opposite of what Leach did with the staff. Hiring based on being a name and not on loyalty or what you personally believe or value. Leach was a dinosaur in some ways that we needed to change, but his culture and his values are why people loved him and We do not need to lose that in my opinion. I love Arnett seems like a great dude and he coached hard. We will see how it goes.
    Man, I see it as completely opposite. We are not hiring big names, we are hiring MS guys.
    Now, if they happen to be big names, and MS guys, then its a win-win.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Man, I see it as completely opposite. We are not hiring big names, we are hiring MS guys.
    Now, if they happen to be big names, and MS guys, then its a win-win.
    But he is hiring them for a purpose that others have attempted. He wants to own the state in recruiting.

Who here actually thinks that if Bama wants a kid from Mississippi they won't get him? When has that really been the norm? I like hiring guys who get the job done in training up the players. That's not to say theses hires won't be able to.

vCash
    R.E.L.A.X.

vCash
    1. Portal opens back up after spring ball. We're not finding any more impact players this late in the juncture. I do agree with you on TEs. We're going to have to grab one after spring ball or move Harmon because WE ARE NOT MOVING ROBINSON TO TE. I know you didn't say it, but I want to cut that off before someone mentions it.

2. Other schools offering our guys money is going to happen 365 days a year now. Just like I know we're putting those same feelers out to kids. Everyone is doing it so you have to accept that. Agree on needing an OC hire ASAP. It's taking far too long and shows Arnett's inexperience in the big chair.

3. Turner is meh, Friend is a decent hire, and I have no clue why we brought back Bumphis. At least Friend and Turner have experience and recruiting connections in the area. None are upgrades over their predecessors though. It will be paramount to keep Washington and hire an OC with Texas connections. We can't lose that pipeline. We've already lost Louisiana and some of Georgia. We can't lose Texas as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    1. Portal opens back up after spring ball. We're not finding any more impact players this late in the juncture. I do agree with you on TEs. We're going to have to grab one after spring ball or move Harmon because WE ARE NOT MOVING ROBINSON TO TE. I know you didn't say it, but I want to cut that off before someone mentions it.

2. Other schools offering our guys money is going to happen 365 days a year now. Just like I know we're putting those same feelers out to kids. Everyone is doing it so you have to accept that. Agree on needing an OC hire ASAP. It's taking far too long and shows Arnett's inexperience in the big chair.

3. Turner is meh, Friend is a decent hire, and I have no clue why we brought back Bumphis. At least Friend and Turner have experience and recruiting connections in the area. None are upgrades over their predecessors though. It will be paramount to keep Washington and hire an OC with Texas connections. We can't lose that pipeline. We've already lost Louisiana and some of Georgia. We can't lose Texas as well.

Your disdain for Bumphis is well known, who would you have hired?
    Both our WR coaches went to be OC's, it's not like we ran them out of town, we just weren't going to promote them.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Your disdain for Bumphis is well known, who would you have hired?
    Both our WR coaches went to be OC's, it's not like we ran them out of town, we just weren't going to promote them.
    There's plenty of people we could've hire. Daikiel Shorts at Houston, Kodi Burns who's with the Saints but was with Tennessee last year, Luke Huard or Dennis Simmons at USC, DJ Mangas who helped architect that offense at LSU with Joe Brady, Ricky Turner at Samford.......or and this is wild......we could've let the OC bring in who he wanted to.

And look, Bumphis may end up being ok. But he has no recruiting ties anywhere the Southeast and he's coached receivers in a run first spread. Our receiver room is as talented as it's ever been right now. I worry about bringing in some guy who doesn't have either strong recruiting ties to an area or a track record of developing guys to be NFL prospects.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 01-11-2023 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    There's plenty of people we could've hire. Daikiel Shorts at Houston, Kodi Burns who's with the Saints but was with Tennessee last year, Luke Huard or Dennis Simmons at USC, DJ Mangas who helped architect that offense at LSU with Joe Brady, Ricky Turner at Samford.......or and this is wild......we could've let the OC bring in who he wanted to.
    I would love to know what we offered Briles. We could have offered 2 million and probably closed the deal. In MSU fashion, we probably tried to get him for 1.5 or less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I would love to know what we offered Briles. We could have offered 2 million and probably closed the deal. In MSU fashion, we probably tried to get him for 1.5 or less.

1.85. We would've gone to 2 if that's what he asked for.

vCash

Who have we signed from Texas lately that has been a starter or impact player since Ross many moons ago?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Who have we signed from Texas lately that has been a starter or impact player since Ross many moons ago?
    Well Jalen Green started for the last two years. Marcus Banks, who will probably start for us next year is originally from Texas. Hunter Washington is from Texas. Hell, Chris Parson is originally from Texas.

But we need to recruit as many players from the state of Texas as possible. They're 10x the football state MS is. We need to stop falling in love with 2 stars from D'Iberville because it worked a couple of times. There's 5x as many that didn't. Go recruit Duncanville, Southlake, Westlake, Katy, South Oak Cliff, North Shore. Because here's the thing, start a pipeline and you'll have eyes on your program from these schools so that when their next 5 star comes along, which happens almost every year, you may have an in. You've got to be in the game to play it.

vCash
    Well Jalen Green started for the last two years. Marcus Banks, who will probably start for us next year is originally from Texas. Hunter Washington is from Texas. Hell, Chris Parson is originally from Texas.

But we need to recruit as many players from the state of Texas as possible. They're 10x the football state MS is. We need to stop falling in love with 2 stars from D'Iberville because it worked a couple of times. There's 5x as many that didn't. Go recruit Duncanville, Southlake, Westlake, Katy, South Oak Cliff, North Shore. Because here's the thing, start a pipeline and you'll have eyes on your program from these schools so that when their next 5 star comes along, which happens almost every year, you may have an in. You've got to be in the game to play it.
    You are wrong here. X100. Texas puts out a lot of players because they are a huge state. Across the board, however, they are soft compared to players from small schools in the southeast. TX high school football has nothing on MS football other than money to build big stadiums and indoor practice facilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    You are wrong here. X100. Texas puts out a lot of players because they are a huge state. Across the board, however, they are soft compared to players from small schools in the southeast. TX high school football has nothing on MS football other than money to build big stadiums and indoor practice facilities.

And better talent. Katy would've beaten any team in MS by 4 TDs this year. And they didn't make the state championship. The state of Mississippi is not very good. We've produced some good talent over the years, but it's isolated. The state of TX had 6 five stars and 63 four stars this year. The state of Mississippi had 0 five stars and 6 four stars. I don't give a rats ass about "tough". Get me guys who can produce. For every Jeffrey Simmons this state has produced we've produced 10 Lee Autry's. And I'll go a step further, I don't mind you getting defensive players from this state, because we have an ok hit rate there. But our hit rate at skill positions on offense is abysmal.

vCash

Bump only coached at a school that went to back to back rose bowls , with a coach that didn?t want me to leave .. so yeah Bump sucks