Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New OC name of interest- Slade Nagle

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    You would think a chance to coach in the SEC, being in total control of the offense, and making a good chunk of money would be enticing. But, moving from air raid and having one QB on roster with a first year HC may be scaring folks away

vCash
    Blind resume review*. Who would you hire?

Candidate A
    COACHING EXPERIENCE
    2002-03, Northwestern State (GA)
    2004-05, Dodge City CC (Kansas) (QB)
    2006-09, Northwestern State (QB/WR)
    2009, LSU (ST) 2010, Texas State (OC/QB)
    2011, Central Arkansas (RB/Asst.)
    2012-15, McNeese State (RB/ST)
    2016-Present, Tulane (TE)

Candidate B
    Coaching Experience:
    1998…………..Georgia (Admin. Asst.)
    1999…….…….Georgia (Grad. Asst.)
    2000……….….Jacksonville State (QB’s)
    2001-06………Georgia (QB’s)
    2007-14………Georgia (Off. Coord./QB’s)
    2015-19……….Colorado State (Head Coach)
    2020…………..South Carolina (Off. Coord./QB’s)
    2021……….….Auburn (Off. Coord.)
    2022-present….Georgia (Analyst-Offense)

Hahahaha.

vCash
    better stay away from anyone associated with that UGA offense, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Similar to Washington, UCLA, and UCF. We all still acknowledge that those offenses are good.

Significantly better SOS than Duke, and people obviously aren?t holding that against Johns.
    Because Johns has a track record of very successful offenses. You know who doesn't, Slade Nagle. He has at most 1 year and maybe 10 games of play calling experience. And it's also disputed who was actually calling plays this year in multiple articles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Candidate A
    COACHING EXPERIENCE

Candidate B
    Coaching Experience:
    1998????..Georgia (Admin. Asst.)
    1999??.??.Georgia (Grad. Asst.)
    2000???.?.Jacksonville State (QB?s)
    2001-06???Georgia (QB?s)
    2007-14???Georgia (Off. Coord./QB?s)
    2015-19???.Colorado State (Head Coach)
    2020????..South Carolina (Off. Coord./QB?s)
    2021???.?.Auburn (Off. Coord.)
    2022-present?.Georgia (Analyst-Offense)

Hahahaha.
    You do realize Bobo was never even a consideration right? And Nagle won't be alone as OC IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Candidate A
    COACHING EXPERIENCE

Candidate B
    Coaching Experience:
    1998…………..Georgia (Admin. Asst.)
    1999…….…….Georgia (Grad. Asst.)
    2000……….….Jacksonville State (QB’s)
    2001-06………Georgia (QB’s)
    2007-14………Georgia (Off. Coord./QB’s)
    2015-19……….Colorado State (Head Coach)
    2020…………..South Carolina (Off. Coord./QB’s)
    2021……….….Auburn (Off. Coord.)
    2022-present….Georgia (Analyst-Offense)

Hahahaha.
    This is not a laughing matter, sir. *
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You do realize Bobo was never even a consideration right? And Nagle won't be alone as OC IMO.
    Honestly. No I don't know the details. I assume with Bobo there was no interest one way or the other. Howeve I am enjoying poking fun that MSU internet fans went insane mad over one guy and seem to be ok with another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2 teams that we compare to favorably in the sec talent-wise, OM and ark both run the ball at 60%. Both finished in top
    5 of sec in total offense, both finished top 6 in conf only games, and both finished top 15 nationally. Here's our ranks...

Sec all games - 8th
    Conf only - 11th
    Nationally - 62nd
    Analytically speaking you're better passing the ball in almost every situation other than 3rd and 1. So we actually probably maximized the talent that we have.

vCash
    I'm not opposed to Nagle if we pair him with a good passing game guy and are balanced. I'm not down with pounding the rock heavily. If we go that route, Arnett was a terrible hire. He'd piss away a good team next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm not opposed to Nagle if we pair him with a good passing game guy and are balanced. I'm not down with pounding the rock heavily. If we go that route, Arnett was a terrible hire. He'd piss away a good team next season.
    If he does go run heavy, then dust off your short list of head coaches for 2024. If he does this, then Arnett is going to be your typical meathead defensive head coach who believes you have to control the clock and win TOP to be successful.

Ryan Walters was a defensive coordinator. What did he do? Hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Last year, Joey McGuire was a defensive coordinator. He hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Jake Dickert was a defensive coordinator. He hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator and then replaced him with another Air Raid offensive coordinator when Eric Morris took the North Texas head coaching job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    If he does go run heavy, then dust off your short list of head coaches for 2024. If he does this, then Arnett is going to be your typical meathead defensive head coach who believes you have to control the clock and win TOP to be successful.

Ryan Walters was a defensive coordinator. What did he do? Hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Last year, Joey McGuire was a defensive coordinator. He hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Jake Dickert was a defensive coordinator. He hired an Air Raid offensive coordinator and then replaced him with another Air Raid offensive coordinator when Eric Morris took the North Texas head coaching job.
    Some other DC first year head coaches...

Elko went run heavy at Duke (55%), and they finished 44th nationally in total offense.

Venables went run heavy at Oklahoma (59%), and they finished 13th nationally in total offense. Defense was their issue - 122nd nationally.

Lannings went run heavy at Oregon (54%), and they finished 6th nationally in total offense.

BTW, we were 62nd in total offense this season.
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-11-2023 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    My only point in all of this is that if he changes styles, he has placed himself and MSU in a bad position.

- We are not tooled for what it appears he wants.
    - puts the OC in a bad position in getting the needed pieces because he's late in the process.
    - that means our spring isn't going to be great as far as implementing the new system.

- After spring the likelihood of players transferring out will increase based on the above.

Throwing it all out in a time like this is a bad decision in my opinion and could cost him his job and MSU years.

vCash
    I want us to do what is best for us going forward, and by forward I don't mean just next season. If ZA feels we need a more run-oriented attack, so do it now. We hired him, so let em do it his way. If isn't doesn't work out, find another guy, but don't hire a guy if you don't trust his vision

vCash
    Some other DC first year coaches...

Elko went run heavy at Duke (55%), and they finished 44th nationally in total offense.

Venables went run heavy at Oklahoma (59%), and they finished 13th nationally in total offense. Defense was their issue - 122nd nationally.

Leanings went run heavy at Oregon (54%), and they finished 6th nationally in total offense.

BTW, we were 62nd in total offense this season.
    Well.

OU won only 6 games.

But, you can be a run first Air raid. TCU does that.

vCash
    I want us to do what is best for us going forward, and by forward I don't mean just next season. If ZA feels we need a more run-oriented attack, so do it now. We hired him, so let em do it his way. If isn't doesn't work out, find another guy, but don't hire a guy if you don't trust his vision
    Is it best for MSU to move towards an offense Bama/LSU sees most weeks? That's an easy prep for for them. Is that the best thing for us? We are literally throwing away a system that won 9 with this schedule tooled for an Air Raid waiting to me modified.

If he fails next year, we will be in no man's land for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Well.

OU won only 6 games.

But, you can be a run first Air raid. TCU does that.
    All I know is our style offense has been really bad 2 of the 3 years it's been here. Last year was pretty good, but we didn't sustain it with multiple starters returning. I don't see what a change would hurt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Is it best for MSU to move towards an offense Bama/LSU sees most weeks? That's an easy prep for for them. Is that the best thing for us? We are literally throwing away a system that won 9 with this schedule tooled for an Air Raid waiting to me modified.

If he fails next year, we will be in no man's land for a while.
    We scored 22 points with 582 total yards Vs lsu and bama this season. That's 11 ppg and 291 yds/game.

Are they having trouble preparing for us now?

vCash
    All I know is our style offense has been really bad 2 of the 3 years it's been here. Last year was pretty good, but we didn't sustain it with multiple starters returning. I don't see what a change would hurt
    A change to an offense that we are not tooled for moves us backwards. All he had to do was hire a guy that uses a modified AR and roll. It would mean our QB room would have 1 more QB in, we would run it more and use different sets.

Now, the OL may not be whats needed. The QB may not be a fit. The WRs may see that they will have to give up snaps and transfer out. Then how long to gain what needed to run it effectively? A system that won 9 with most tools returning with an easier schedule. It's just not a smart thing to throw it all away.

Not saying he is going to do that. In fact, I will have to see it to believe it.

vCash
    Based on what I am hearing, we have paid decent money to bring back a solid defense. We just need our offense to be slightly above average and I think 10 wins is on the table.

We cannot abandon our current offense, the QB room simply won't allow it. If long term Arnett wants a ground and pound offense, that is fine, he can recruit to that. He can't waste next year's team while installing his offense. I've read this story in 2018, i'm not reading it again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Based on what I am hearing, we have paid decent money to bring back a solid defense. We just need our offense to be slightly above average and I think 10 wins is on the table.

We cannot abandon our current offense, the QB room simply won't allow it. If long term Arnett wants a ground and pound offense, that is fine, he can recruit to that. He can't waste next year's team while installing his offense. I've read this story in 2018, i'm not reading it again.
    The offense is going to change. That 100% is going to happen. But the overeaction needs to stop. The change is to become more balanced- not "run heavy"

Last season we ran 929 plays:

634 passes
    295 runs (26 of which were QB sacks so they were really passes also)

Those days are over. But an offense of 480 runs and 450 passes would be very welcome and much likely more effective than the Airbone.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is