Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New OC name of interest- Slade Nagle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The offense is going to change. That 100% is going to happen. But the overeaction needs to stop. The change is to become more balanced- not "run heavy"

Last season we ran 929 plays:

634 passes
    295 runs (26 of which were QB sacks so they were really passes also)

Those days are over. But an offense of 480 runs and 450 passes would be very welcome and much likely more effective than the Airbone.
    I agree. Good coaches adjust.

vCash
    The offense is going to change. That 100% is going to happen. But the overeaction needs to stop. The change is to become more balanced- not "run heavy"

634 passes

Those days are over. But an offense of 480 runs and 450 passes would be very welcome and much likely more effective than the Airbone.
    Yeah I don't understand why people keep thinking we're all of a sudden gonna go to the I-formation or some other run heavy offense. We're obviously gonna have to evolve because Leach is the only one who ran his version of the air raid. Balance is a good thing and we did show the ability to run the ball this year without involving the qb in the run game.

vCash
    He is coming as TE coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He is coming as TE coach
    So Chip Long as OC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He is coming as TE coach
    That makes much more sense. He's been a TE coach for 6 years. I just couldn't see the jump to OC overnight.

vCash
    As just a TE would be a pretty good pull for ZA as someone just named OC at a G5 school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    As just a TE would be a pretty good pull for ZA as someone just named OC at a G5 school.
    Agreed. Would be an excellent pull for Arnett and guy is a good coach too.

vCash
    Not the luster of a Kendal Briles.

Whoever it is better beat Arkansas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    So Chip Long as OC?
    that would be fiya

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Some other DC first year head coaches...

Elko went run heavy at Duke (55%), and they finished 44th nationally in total offense.

Venables went run heavy at Oklahoma (59%), and they finished 13th nationally in total offense. Defense was their issue - 122nd nationally.

Lannings went run heavy at Oregon (54%), and they finished 6th nationally in total offense.

BTW, we were 62nd in total offense this season.
    That's balance to me. Run heavy is 60/40 in my world. I'm fine with running it more. My eyes hurt watching the Leach Raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    That's balance to me. Run heavy is 60/40 in my world. I'm fine with running it more. My eyes hurt watching the Leach Raid.
    I agree.

vCash
    Balance is not 50/50 run/pass. Balance is making sure all your skill positions are contributing to the offense with the yards and touches between the skill guys being balanced. Running the ball 60% of the time is stupid when passing the ball is far more efficient.

vCash

Welcomed by you but not by all. But frig it?..I?ll find something else to do next Fall.

vCash
    In todays game to be successful you have to have a very good passing game. That being said more balance and having a more creative run game than we've had will benefit us greatly. You can have a great passing attack without throwing 60 times a game.

vCash
    You can be balanced inside of 60/40 either way run or pass. Outside of that and you are skewed too far either way. Offense balance is about the defense being off balanced with what you do well. That being said I think most of the time it's about 55/45 run/pass for most of the better offenses in college with some explosive passing either down field or player explosion
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-11-2023 at 02:57 PM.

vCash

634 passes

That's definitely too much running in today's football. Give me about 520 passing and 410 running.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Be on the lookout for Toledo’s head coach or the Memphis OC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Be on the lookout for Toledo’s head coach or the Memphis OC.
    I mentioned Candle last week. Would be an outstanding pull but just have doubts since turned down Miami last year.

vCash
    I was hoping for Jason Candle, but how much would you have to pay him over his current 1.2mm to give up his own program? I wouldn't do it for less than double, maybe triple.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I was hoping for Jason Candle, but how much would you have to pay him over his current 1.2mm to give up his own program? I wouldn't do it for less than double, maybe triple.
    He interviewed with Miami last year. He feels stuck at that program and may want a reboot.