Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Air Raid offense sucks and no one wants to run it.

Banned
    vCash

The Air Raid offense sucks and no one wants to run it.

Just look at how 2 of our assistant coaches have gotten OC jobs in a week. Our OL coach is one we want to keep and people are seriously floating him to be OC. But hey, the RB coach might get let go so it's all trash.

Air Raid Philosophy is the future and we've revamped our offense in 3 short years to where most of us agree a QB with a consistent deep ball (before you yell at me Bucky, Will showed flashes of this 21' memphis, 21' arkansas, etc.) and a solid head can make us a playoff contender moving forward. (In that 12 team playoff space).

vCash
    Our O disappeared for long stretches under Coach Leach in many games, especially against teams with aggressive, lock down cb's. Even Coach Leach never seemed to be happy with WR's as no alpha stepped forward, (don't forget folding chairs). Will freely admitted Coach wouldn't have been happy with him in the bowl and the OM game was same ole, same ole on O. This pure Air Raid was going to change some had Coach not passed away. It needs some changes under new OC in '23 season, but NOT a JoMo total change in one year! Hail State!

vCash
    Modern air raid offenses rock.

2001 air raid doesn't.

We had the old version and it needed to be tweaked

vCash
    The air raid we ran was trash. That's facts.

The Heupel version is solid. We weren't in the same stratosphere as that version. The Heupel air raid is like a fighter jet, and ours was like a fart in a whirlwind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Modern air raid offenses rock.

2001 air raid doesn't.

We had the old version and it needed to be tweaked
    It would help if we had a QB that wasn?t a statue and could throw it more than 30 yards

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    It would help if we had a QB that wasn?t a statue and could throw it more than 30 yards
    Rewatching the old games that I listed really drives this home. Those end of game drives had the plays that I want to see consistently that would open up the offense so much. Frustrating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    The air raid we ran was trash. That's facts.

The Heupel version is solid. We weren't in the same stratosphere as that version. The Heupel air raid is like a fighter jet, and ours was like a fart in a whirlwind.
    Yep, all true.

This is where koolaid drinkers can't discern the difference.

vCash
    Any offense looks good with Tom Brady back there. Will executed what he was coached to execute. If not, he doesn't continue to be in there. Will produced just like every other true air raid guy too.

Will is what he is, gotta quit putting all this on Will.

vCash
    3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 25 rushing teams. Only 1 of the playoff teams were a top 25 passing team.

vCash
    Running the newer version of the AR would have been very difficult with Will. If Parsons is all he is made out to be it can work. But we may be running the wishbone next year for all I know.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 25 rushing teams. Only 1 of the playoff teams were a top 25 passing team.
    Wow, teams who won all their games ran the ball more. Breaking news. You know as well as I do how bad of a stat that yards can be.

Let's look at those team's rankings shall we?
    Georgia 23 in run / 15 in pass
    TCU 20 in run / 29 in pass
    Michigan 5 in run / 83 in pass
    Ohio State 32 in run / 14 in pass

Oops. Looks like two are in the top 25.

2 of the 4 playoff teams were top 15 passing
    1 of the 4 playoff teams were top 15 rushing

3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 30 passing
    3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 30 rushing

(This is where I say reality can be whatever I want it to be)

Note: 3 of the 4 playoff teams had their QB at the Heisman ceremony.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Wow, teams who won all their games ran the ball more. Breaking news. You know as well as I do how bad of a stat that yards can be.

Let's look at those team's rankings shall we?
    Georgia 23 in run / 15 in pass
    TCU 20 in run / 29 in pass
    Michigan 5 in run / 83 in pass
    Ohio State 32 in run / 14 in pass

Oops. Looks like two are in the top 25.

2 of the 4 playoff teams were top 15 passing
    1 of the 4 playoff teams were top 15 rushing

3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 30 passing
    3 of the 4 playoff teams were top 30 rushing

(This is where I say reality can be whatever I want it to be)

Note: 3 of the 4 playoff teams had their QB at the Heisman ceremony.
    You're correct. I was looking at the wrong thing on passing stats.

All your stats tell me is that you have to be able to do both - be balanced. Our offense of the past few years isn't a formula to win big

vCash
    Even though I think tcu is basically the result of hitting a 7-team parlay this year, they should be the one we look at the closest since they're around our talent level. They were 55.5% run heavy. And it wasn't bc they were winning all the time... 9 wins by less than 10 pts

vCash
    Costello and some brief moments of Will show this version can work too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    Costello and some brief moments of Will show this version can work too.
    Maybe so, but our style is gone now. No one runs it like leach. All his disciples have a more modern approach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Rewatching the old games that I listed really drives this home. Those end of game drives had the plays that I want to see consistently that would open up the offense so much. Frustrating.
    That?s because Will is too conservative and cautious. At the end of games when we are losing or when we need a score he will actually throw in rhythm. He needs a strong dose of gunslinger serum or something.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    That?s because Will is too conservative and cautious. At the end of games when we are losing or when we need a score he will actually throw in rhythm. He needs a strong dose of gunslinger serum or something.
    Favre says that's called Vicodin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Winner

vCash
    We all agree the pure air raid isn't it. The question do we want to grab an air raid guy with modern tweaks, or do we want to blow to up and transition to a power run game? I think MS is better suited for the run game, but I'm worried that puts a cap on who we can beat and isn't best for next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    We all agree the pure air raid isn't it. The question do we want to grab an air raid guy with modern tweaks, or do we want to blow to up and transition to a power run game? I think MS is better suited for the run game, but I'm worried that puts a cap on who we can beat and isn't best for next year.
    I'd be very disappointed if we went to a power run game. We'd have the same floor but a lower ceiling. We need to stay with the air raid (with modern adjustments). We'd have a similar floor but much higher ceiling.