Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash
    I think we're all guilty of having tunnel vision at times when it comes to players/coaches that we like. When one leaves or gets replaced, it makes us mad, and we can't/won't see that it isn't always a bad thing

vCash
    Friend grades in the top 20% of all FBS OL coaches since 2009 per the numbers (look at Matrix Analytical). It's a solid hire.

And like I said in the other thread, it's not Bobo and never was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Friend grades in the top 20% of all FBS OL coaches since 2009 per the numbers (look at Matrix Analytical). It's a solid hire.

And like I said in the other thread, it's not Bobo and never was.
    Very solid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Why did Friend lose his job at Tennessee? HC was fired due to NCAA violations
    Why did Friend lose his job at Auburn? HC lost his job and then Friend made them better when he took over as OC
    And the next HC and TN and Auburn chose to not retain Friend. You know, like how we might (and hopefully will) retain Miller? FRIEND IS AT MEMPHIS. When Matt Luke got fired from OM he got a job as the OL coach at UGA because he's a good OL coach. When MUllen got canned at UF Hevesy got fired with him and is now an analyst at GT, because he's not a good OL coach. Friend is better than Hevesy but he's not as good as Miller at OL. BUT, big BUT here, I'd happily take him as TE or RB coach. He's got connections

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    And the next HC and TN and Auburn chose to not retain Friend. You know, like how we might (and hopefully will) retain Miller? FRIEND IS AT MEMPHIS. When Matt Luke got fired from OM he got a job as the OL coach at UGA because he's a good OL coach. When MUllen got canned at UF Hevesy got fired with him and is now an analyst at GT, because he's not a good OL coach. Friend is better than Hevesy but he's not as good as Miller at OL. BUT, big BUT here, I'd happily take him as TE or RB coach. He's got connections
    What if miler doesn't go to a blueblood? Does that mean he isn't good? After all like friend, he wouldn't have been retained by a new coach

vCash
    You are getting hung up on coaches having to take a step down. That?s not really indicative of their coaching abilities. Just as a recent example, Sonny Dykes was fired at Cal and had to take a job as an analyst at TCU before landing the SMU job. What?s he doing now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think we're all guilty of having tunnel vision at times when it comes to players/coaches that we like. When one leaves or gets replaced, it makes us mad, and we can't/won't see that it isn't always a bad thing
    Man you nailed it. This is so true. Before my sons freshman year of hs the school let go a very popular baseball coach who'd been there a long time but ran kind of a country club. They beat who they were supposed to beat but always had an early exit in playoffs. Lot of parents got pissed off because the new coach ran off the deadwood, started playing the underclassmen and within 3 years won the schools first state championship. Change always affects people some embrace it some hate it and can't deal with it but many times it's for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I mean he ran a really good offense against us on short prep
    Are you advocating for him to be OC? I trust the opinions of fans who watch every game over how a guy did in 1 game vs us too. That's why I don't care about any "top 20%" random computer ranking BS. Fans know their teams better than computers do

vCash
    What if miler doesn't go to a blueblood? Does that mean he isn't good? After all like friend, he wouldn't have been retained by a new coach
    If Friend isn't retained, and then isn't retained by the next school he lands at (and is hated by the fanbase there) and then lands at Memphis, I will agree he's probably not an elite OL coach and I was wrong.

vCash
    Are you advocating for him to be OC? I trust the opinions of fans who watch every game over how a guy did in 1 game vs us too. That's why I don't care about any "top 20%" random computer ranking BS. Fans know their teams better than computers do
    Dude, it was just an off handed comment. Good grief. I don't give a craps what fans say. Coaches in college that I know and from the fraternity know he is a really good OL coach. Period. He's good. Miller is good but you are letting your fandom for one coach override who are actually good coaches at their job. Friend has been consistently for over a decade been consider a top OL coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack07 View Post
    You are getting hung up on coaches having to take a step down. That?s not really indicative of their coaching abilities. Just as a recent example, Sonny Dykes was fired at Cal and had to take a job as an analyst at TCU before landing the SMU job. What?s he doing now?
    It's USUALLY a sign. Just like good coaches aren't always retained when a HC changes, but USUALLY the administration tried to get the new HC to keep the studs. If a guy goes through multiple coaching changes (in this case it's TN and Auburn) and isn't retained... well he MIGHT be a great coach, but the odds are low. Would I hire him over a G5 Ol coach that fields poor units? Yes. Would I hire him over Miller as OL coach? No. That's my point. Happy to have him if we can keep Miller as the OL coach

vCash
    If Friend isn't retained, and then isn't retained by the next school he lands at (and is hated by the fanbase there) and then lands at Memphis, I will agree he's probably not an elite OL coach and I was wrong.
    I think hate is a little over blown. KB this past season had fans who got upset with him in some games . Said he was too conservative in his play calling (probably Pittman) and some even wanted him fired. Fans aren't in the locker room or on the field either.

vCash
    Another thing to consider is ZA looks to be moving away from the air raid. Isn't miller's experience mostly in the air raid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Dude, it was just an off handed comment. Good grief. I don't give a craps what fans say. Coaches in college that I know and from the fraternity know he is a really good OL coach. Period. He's good. Miller is good but you are letting your fandom for one coach override who are actually good coaches at their job. Friend has been consistently for over a decade been consider a top OL coach.
    Coaching is a fraternity? Close, but nah. It's a good old boys club. And you don't trust fans? Fans watch the games, know the recruiting profiles, see every false start. Coaches are wrong often- remember Mullen running Holloway? JoMo doing literally anything he did on O? Coaches can have flaws that fans see. If a fanbase agrees a coach did a bad job, usually that coach did a bad job

vCash
    Coaching is a fraternity? Close, but nah. It's a good old boys club. And you don't trust fans? Fans watch the games, know the recruiting profiles, see every false start. Coaches are wrong often- remember Mullen running Holloway? JoMo doing literally anything he did on O? Coaches can have flaws that fans see. If a fanbase agrees a coach did a bad job, usually that coach did a bad job
    Whatever. Most fans and I mean nearly all of them only watch the ball and see a result. They don't breakdown each player, position group and play call to know why it failed or succeed.

Friend is a good OL coach. Miller is a good OL coach. Both are on staff right now and we are hoping to keep it that way if possible.

vCash
    Playoffs is the only measure of a good season? I would say there are many more "good seasons" on that list, but sure 3/4 of the playoff teams are on the list and both you'll see Monday
    I missed fl state. I guess UCLA did OK. Read another post after my comment that pointed out d on a lot of those teams was what cost them (tsun comes to mind). I was hasty with that post.

I really just don't want to go back to 3 yards in a cloud of dust. We have to have a good passing attack to compete. Even if the split is 60/40 70/30 run. You have to have a good passing game to throw off the d and have big plays to open the run like kiffen briles or heupel. IMO Dan spread power didn't really have that

vCash
    Friend is a good coach- period.
    Bump is replacing Spurrier- who was told he wasnt going to be retained
    Hollingshead was told he wasnt getting the OC job. So he started working the phones. He was not run off
    This is really the only move I'm scratching my head over. I don't know anything about Friend, but surely miller is better, right? I thought he was like a top 15 CFB ol coach. I know he isn't gone yet, but I don't see a position for him besides oc and I don't think we want that.

vCash
    Look I hope I'm wrong on everything. I hope Bump does great, CZA does great, the OC we hire does great, Friend is an elite coach and C34 calls me an idiot every Sunday morning over my opinions expressed here. I think a lot of people have maroon colored glasses if the rumors aren't a concern... terrible OC names, rumors we want to focus on MS recruiting, that CZA wants to run a grind it out O, hiring coaches befire we get an OC which will drive off some candidates... but I hope I'm wrong and will bow out of these discussions till a OC is named. Hailstate!

vCash
    Well shit- if we keep Miller and Friend coaches TE's- we improved our offensive coaching staff from 2022
    Now that I could get behind 100%. Just don't want to lose miller. Great ol coach and recruiter