Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash

OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

Well let's fire this baby up once more. I'm going to need a stiffer drink if this thing gets to Version 4.

Realistic Candidates

Shannon Dawson- OC and QB Coach at Houston. Played at Millsaps. Has coached under Mumme, Holgorsen, Monken, and Hopson.

Brandon Jones- RGC and OL Coach at Houston. Played under Leach at TTU. Has coached under Leach, Dykes, and Holgersen. Would give us another Texas recruiter. From DFW.

Ryan Lindley- QB Coach at SDSU. Was on staff last year as a defensive analyst, but has been a QB coach or offensive asst. at both the CFB and NFL level. He's good friends with Arnett and will probably end up on the staff in some fashion if I had to guess.

Mason Miller- Current OL Coach. I don't think I have to go into Mason's background very much

Kevin Johns- Duke OC and QB Coach. Was on staff under Kingsbury at TTU for a year and has kind of modified their version of the Air Raid. More RPO guy than Air Raid though

Chris Hatcher- Probably the most pure Air Raid guy there is. Played under Leach and Mumme at Valdosta St. and was a GA on their staff at UK. Has been the HC at Samford for 8 years. Only been a position coach for one year at the FBS level. All other coaching experience at the FCS level.

Clint Trickett- OC and QB Coach at Marshall. Played under Dana at WVU. Coached under Buddy Stephens at EMCC and Lane at FAU. Runs a little more RPO has Air Raid principles

Casey Woods- OC at SMU. Starkville native. Played at Tennessee. Has coached under Malzahn and Freeze so is definitely more prone to RPO and spread than Air Raid

Bryan Ellis- OC at Georgia Southern. Previously Co-OC at Western Kentucky with Zach Kittley. Was at USC with Clay Helton before that. 4th in the NCAA in passing this year.

Why The Hell Not Ask Candidates

Kliff Kingsbury- Will be unemployed come Monday so he should be available. He's not much of a HC, but he's an elite OC. Don't know his desire to get back into the college game, but before he got the Cardinals job he was going to be the USC OC.

Garrett Riley- TCU OC. His next stop will be a HC, but hell throw 2 mil + at him and just see.

Joe Brady- Probably wants to stay in the NFL, but he has revived his career in Buffalo. Maybe he could turn Will around as well.

Scott Frost- Former Nebraska and UCF HC. Definitely more spread run than Air Raid, but is a dynamite recruiter and play caller.

We Can't Hire Him But I Want To So Bad Candidate

Art Briles- We would be hell on wheels on offense. We also would piss more than a couple of people off. But hey, winning cures everything and Freeze gets to lead an SEC program again.

***Added Candidates***

Bill Bedenbaugh- OL Coach Oklahoma. Played under Leach and Mumme at Iowa Wesleyan. Coached under Leach, Mumme, Holgersen, Stoops, and Riley. Has called plays on 3 occasions.

Mark Whipple- Former HC at UMASS(do not look up his record, it's bad). Previously the OC for Pitt and was recently the OC at Nebraska.

Mike Bobo- Longtime UGA OC for Richt. Was OC for Muschamp his last year at USCe, also OC for Harsin in 21 at Auburn. Currently UGA analyst. Former HC at Colorado St(His HC record is just slightly better)

Jim Chaney- Has been everywhere twice at this point just about. Is currently an analyst for Ga Tech. Spent last year as an analyst for the Saints. Was the OC for Pruitt at Tennessee and also for Dooley at Tennessee. Was Kirby's first OC at UGA.

Josh Henson- OC at USC. OC for Gary Pinkel at Missouri. Coached OL for both Mike Gundy and Jimbo is currently the OL/OC coach under Riley. Looks to be a really strong recruiter in the South. Particularly in TX, AL, LA, and MS.

Major Applewhite- OC at USA. Former QB for Texas. Has been under Saban twice as an analyst. Also under Brown at Texas and Herman at Houston. Got the HC gig at Houston but that went off the rails and then Fertitta conspired with Holgorsen to get Applewhite out of there so Dana could get that job.

Joey Hazle- OC at Tennessee. Just promoted to this position. Has been under Stoops at Oklahoma and has been with Heupel since 2016. Will be hard to pull him since he just got the OC job.

Willy Korn- Current OC at Liberty. Former OC at Coastal Carolina. Has been with Jamey Chadwell the entire time. Will want to run spread triple option, which we currently don't have the QB or line for. But there's a chance he could convince Grayson Mccall to come on board, if grades wouldn't be an issue. Although our graduate program is apparently tougher to get into than Wharton Business School (see every basketball player we recruited this summer)

Brian Johnson- QB Coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Previous staff member under Dan. Played and coached at Utah. Was the play caller for the last 4 games of the 2016 season for us. Called plays for Herman at Houston and called the plays at Florida.

Warren Ruggerio- OC Wake Forest. Has been a play caller and OC at Hofstra, Elon, BGSU, and for the last 8 years at Wake Forest. Runs a slow mesh RPO type offense so it would be different than what we run. Very run oriented and very QB run oriented.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 01-06-2023 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Think I'll need to drink straight from the bottle. Sheesh.

vCash
    What about adding Dowell Loggains, OC for South Carolina. They were scared that he might be hired back by ARK as OC if we hired KB.

vCash
    Is Clint Trickett Rick's son?

vCash
    Scott Frost 😂😂😂 oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    What about adding Dowell Loggains, OC for South Carolina. They were scared that he might be hired back by ARK as OC if we hired KB.
    He's pro style with some spread concepts mixed in. He's also regarded as a terrible play caller in most coaching circles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Is Clint Trickett Rick's son?
    He is.

vCash
    Riley has already turned down an interview and no chance on Kingsbury.

Hatcher has been a HC for over 20 years. He's not leaving to become as Asst.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    Scott Frost ������ oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.
    What's your problem with Frost? We aren't hiring him as a HC. I mean he was the OC for Chip Kelly. And most in the business do agree that Oregon offense from 2013-2015 was decent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Well good I put those in the why the hell not ask category. And I hope you're right on Hatcher, but I have a bad feeling we're going to go the cheap route and hire him.

vCash
    We're going to be holding our nose regardless at this point. Betting money would be on Johns probably. Dawson (yuck) maybe. Not sure many will come coach under a young, first time HC.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 01-05-2023 at 09:12 PM.

vCash
    I think after some of his shenanigans at Nebraska he needs a couple of years off. I bet he never coaches again honestly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    Scott Frost 😂😂😂 oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.
    He wouldn't be coming as a HC. Why do people get crazy over an assistant coach that failed as a HC. He failed at 1 HC stopped and succeeded wildly at another I might add.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We're going to be holding our nose regardless at this point. Betting money would be on Johns probably.
    If I had place odds on it at the moment they'd probably be:

Johns 7-1
    Hatcher 7-1
    Dawson 15-1
    Miller 20-1
    Everyone else 75-1
    Out of LF Candidate- 80-1
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 01-05-2023 at 09:11 PM.

vCash

I thought Hatcher had been interested in our job, but I wasn't sure if CZA was interested in him, or even had him on his list?

vCash
    I thought Hatcher had been interested in our job, but I wasn't sure if CZA was interested in him, or even had him on his list?
    Rosebowl reported today that CZA had not even spoken to him about the job. He'd take it if it was offered, which is why we don't need to offer to him or even speak with him yet.

vCash
    Maybe so but it would be very surprising to see a guy thats been a HC for over a generation want to be an Asst again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Rosebowl reported today that CZA had not even spoken to him about the job. He'd take it if it was offered, which is why we don't need to offer to him or even speak with him yet.
    Why do people think he would take it? He has been a HC for 22 years now.

vCash
    Miller? I thought the knock on Spurrier is he's never been an OC. Has Miller?

vCash
    Why do people think he would take it? He has been a HC for 22 years now.
    Because we would pay more and he would just jump on it, that's what they are thinking.