Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I wouldnt leave a head job making 400K for an OC job to make $1MM
    I'd be up and outta there and take the $1M and it's not just the pay increase, it's the chance to parlay that into a higher paying HC position somewhere in a couple years. If you believe in yourself you make this move and if you don't believe in yourself like that you shouldn't be here anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    I'd be up and outta there and take the $1M and it's not just the pay increase, it's the chance to parlay that into a higher paying HC position somewhere in a couple years. If you believe in yourself you make this move and if you don't believe in yourself like that you shouldn't be here anyway.
    I think with Hatcher though getting a FBS HC job would still be difficult because he has a 20 year track record in FCS and multiple stops were not successful. Until this year his last 4 were below .500 at Samford. Doesn't disqualify him as an OC candidate but taken our job with an idea of becoming a FBS HC is extremely unlikely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Alright I think I have the list updated with all the candidates that have been mentioned. I'll add more as they come along. I don't know how realistic some of the ones recently mentioned are. I probably shouldn't have added Korn, but Liberty is small enough we could pull him from. Harrell isn't added because I doubt we could pull him from Purdue. Same with Arbuckle at Washington St. Just because we can afford to do it doesn't mean we need to get in a bidding war over some of these guys.
    Heck we pulled CZA from Syracuse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    SVS-just for S&Gs?what?s Mark Hudspeth and/or Angelo Mirando up to now? Hudspeth,Bump, BP..getting the band back together
    Lol, I was wondering when Hudspeth's name would pop up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Y?all are insane.
    THIS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I think with Hatcher though getting a FBS HC job would still be difficult because he has a 20 year track record in FCS and multiple stops were not successful. Until this year his last 4 were below .500 at Samford. Doesn't disqualify him as an OC candidate but taken our job with an idea of becoming a FBS HC is extremely unlikely.
    It's amazing how successful as an OC on the FBS collegiate level makes boosters/AD'S focus on the recent Shiney thing instead of the past....they convince themselves that said coordinator has grown...learned etc.... it's his best chance to get an FBS HC job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    No way, $1-1.25 MIL tops if you think he's ready to call plays because he's never done it but he is making $850,000 at LSU.
    Should have done sarcasterics. He's the sex party coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Should have done sarcasterics. He's the sex party coach
    Lol. You're right! I completely forgot. Recruiting would be lit!

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2018 - 42.9
    2019 - 40.4 (-5.8%)
    2020 - 31.0 (-23.3%)
    2021 - 30.1 (-1.9%)
    2022 - 35.3 (+16.1%)

John's' years are 2019-2021.

His first year to last year saw a 25.5% drop in ppg.
    The total scoring year-to-year isn't quite apples-to-apples, but your point about the less-than-stellar trend is right on. Here are Memphis' national ranks in points per drive for those years:

2018 - 11th
    2019 - 7th
    2020 - 55th
    2021 - 51st

I'm similarly underwhelmed by his stint at Indiana. He was "co-OC" there for his first three years. In '11, he was co-OC with Rod Smith. Smith left, so they brought in Littrell to be the other "co-OC" in '12 and '13. Then Littrell left and Johns was the sole OC in'14, '15, and '16. Here are Indiana's national ranks in points-per-drive during that time:

2011 - Johns and Smith - 105th
    2012 - Johns and Littrell - 45th
    2013 - Johns and Littrell - 25th
    2014 - Johns - 99th
    2015 - Johns - 35th
    2016 - Johns - 104th

Also, in 2017, when he took over OC at Western Michigan after PJ Fleck's departure, the offense dropped off considerably. Maybe not a fair gauge given the staff change, but still.

vCash
    Why not visit Washington state again and take arbuckle? If anyone understands leaving a job you just took, it's arnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    The total scoring year-to-year isn't quite apples-to-apples, but your point about the less-than-stellar trend is right on. Here are Memphis' national ranks in points per drive for those years:

2018 - 11th
    2019 - 7th
    2020 - 55th
    2021 - 51st

I'm similarly underwhelmed by his stint at Indiana. He was "co-OC" there for his first three years. In '11, he was co-OC with Rod Smith. Smith left, so they brought in Littrell to be the other "co-OC" in '12 and '13. Then Littrell left and Johns was the sole OC in'14, '15, and '16. Here are Indiana's national ranks in points-per-drive during that time:

2011 - Johns and Smith - 105th
    2012 - Johns and Littrell - 45th
    2013 - Johns and Littrell - 25th
    2014 - Johns - 99th
    2015 - Johns - 35th
    2016 - Johns - 104th

Also, in 2017, when he took over OC at Western Michigan after PJ Fleck's departure, the offense dropped off considerably. Maybe not a fair gauge given the staff change, but still.
    I think you have consider the Norvall transition at Memphis as well. He stayed through that. 2020 Covid year and their 1500 yard RB doesn't play. His numbers at Texas Tech was really good even though it was with a HC on his last legs.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-06-2023 at 11:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Idk why so many people on here are against paying top dollar for a proven OC

Ole miss is paying 9 million for a head coach
    LSU 9.5
    A&M 9
    Alabama 12 or so
    Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

We have a first time head coach that we promoted that we are giving him a chance that he would not have had anywhere else to be a sec head coach

We are paying him 3 million

If we are going to compete we are going to have to get him some help by bringing in a proven OC that can handle the offense , you will have to pay 2 million or above to get that and that would be fine because Zach will earn his money as a head coach if he does good he will be given annual raises

Even then that does not come anywhere near 9 million

I?m tired of the poor ole Mississippi state mindset

I like Zach and think he?s going to do great but shit.

Also anyone that thinks promoting Mason miller to OC is mentally retarded.

If Mike leach , who has called plays for 30+ years and had been a head coach for over 20 , couldn?t get this offense to scoring points on good sec defenses.

What the hell do you think his Offensive Line coach would do?

Give me a break.
    If Arnett is at all successful he will get a raise to 5-6 million a year in a couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    If Arnett is at all successful he will get a raise to 5-6 million a year in a couple years.
    Worth the money if successful. Do a good job….brings in revenue….get a raise.

vCash
    Does Andy Kotelnicki run his own offense at Kansas? His offenses at Buffalo and Kansas have been impressive. Run heavy though

vCash
    So the coach we kick to the curb for Bumphis just got named the OC at Western Kentucky. Funny, I was told I was mad on Tuesday that we let Drew go and now you guys are realizing why.

vCash
    So the coach we kick to the curb for Bumphis just got named the OC at Western Kentucky. Funny, I was told I was mad on Tuesday that we let Drew go and now you guys are realizing why.
    You wanted to hire Hollingshead as the OC?

vCash
    Drew wasn't staying either way though. We couldn't name him OC and he got an OC job. Wished we could have but he's not staying here as a position coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    You wanted to hire Hollingshead as the OC?
    My guess is that he simply didn't want him replaced by Bumphis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    My guess is that he simply didn't want him replaced by Bumphis.
    Well if we weren't naming him OC, we'd have lost him anyway, right?

vCash
    Our fans find a way to complain from every angle.