Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    You think it wasn?t feasible for him to already be back channeling the OC hire in the last month? Lol. He could?ve easily been doing that. But no. He waited. And go left at the alter. It?s the same crap Keenum did with the AD hire. Delay delay delay and then get caught with your pants down.
    Wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    If Mike leach , who has called plays for 30+ years and had been a head coach for over 20 , couldn?t get this offense to scoring points on good sec defenses.

What the hell do you think his Offensive Line coach would do?

Give me a break.
    Look at both of Leach's stops before MSU. It took him 2 or 3 years to get rolling. In my opinion, he was just on the verge with the players he was developing in the system. It's a shame you can't develop a program anymore because fans have to have instant results against teams with more money and better recruiting.

It's a shame MSU looks to be dismantling what Leach was building.

Oh well.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Well you go from a 30th ranked class, which was actually ranked 24th I think, to 130th. We were in a no win situation and whether he had an AD or not we still would've been in a no win situation. We did the best thing we could do at that moment. Now to your second point, some of the boosters are running the program if I had to guess. Look no further than Brad Peterson being installed as the new COS. Again, I'll hold judgement on the OC until one is hired, because we look we did take a big swing. We missed, but we took a big swing instead of just hiring the safe candidate from the jump. That tells me that Arnett isn't scared to take some risks.
    And why some folks on here can't grasp this is beyond me. This program dodged a nuke by making Arnett head coach. We would have lost half our recruits and 20+ players would have jumped in the portal. At that point no matter who we hired - ****ing Urban Meyer even - would have had a massive rebuild on their hands. And all the while the Cyber Coaches around here who have never lost a game in their version of reality would have been tearing him down, just like Leach, because we did exactly what they wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I may be wrong- I just dont see any way Hatcher becomes an Asst after 22 years of being a HC
    He probably makes less than $200k at Samford? If we low ball him we'll triple his salary. I'm sure it's nice being head coach, but it's not like he's been at Samford 22 years. He's been there five. If it doesn't work as OC, he can make three times as much money for two years and then go get another head coaching job at a lower level with an extra half a million in the bank.

vCash
    Is it a coincidence that Memphis went down in scoring from 2019-2021 every year from the previous, and then jumped up 5.2 ppg this season after Johns left.

To be fair, Duke was up considerably this season from last in ppg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    He probably makes less than $200k at Samford? If we low ball him we'll triple his salary. I'm sure it's nice being head coach, but it's not like he's been at Samford 22 years. He's been there five. If it doesn't work as OC, he can make three times as much money for two years and then go get another head coaching job at a lower level with an extra half a million in the bank.
    His base is around $250,000 with incentives it pushes his salary to around $450,000

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Look at his whole body of work not just last year. At Memphis his first year his QB ran the ball 61 times for -71 27 of those were sacks for 170 yards. While it's there in his system he doesn't have to call on the QB to do a lot of running if the ability is not there. Most of his offenses the RB get the vast majority of the carries. But he does adapt.
    Johns should be the call. I just have my doubts Arnett is even looking at him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is it a coincidence that Memphis went down in scoring from 2019-2021 every year from the previous, and then jumped up 5.2 ppg this season after Johns left.

To be fair, Duke was up considerably this season from last in ppg
    Where did they rank each year at Memphis? And did it go down much? And where did Memphis rank year 15-18. Lot of factors involved to because Memphis has been pretty good on O for a while now if I recall(or have had some good years).
    Last edited by Bdawg; 01-06-2023 at 09:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    Look at both of Leach's stops before MSU. It took him 2 or 3 years to get rolling. In my opinion, he was just on the verge with the players he was developing in the system. It's a shame you can't develop a program anymore because fans have to have instant results against teams with more money and better recruiting.

Oh well.........
    Did you miss the part where Leach passed away? It was kind of a big deal, so I'm surprised you missed it. We lost our more or less one of a kind head coach and offensive coordinator. It's not like we said screw it let's start over.

vCash
    His base is around $250,000 with incentives it pushes his salary to around $450,000
    I wouldnt leave a head job making 400K for an OC job to make $1MM
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Where did they rank each year at Memphis? And did it go down much? And where did Memphis rank year 15-18. Lot of factors involved to because Memphis has been pretty good on O for a while now if I recall(or have had some good years).
    The Memphis deal is a little hard because he was there during Norval's last year and transitioned with the new staff at Memphis. They lost some players during that time including a 1500 yard freshman running back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Where did they rank each year at Memphis? And did it go down much?
    2018 - 42.9
    2019 - 40.4 (-5.8%)
    2020 - 31.0 (-23.3%)
    2021 - 30.1 (-1.9%)
    2022 - 35.3 (+16.1%)

John's' years are 2019-2021.

His first year to last year saw a 25.5% drop in ppg.

vCash
    WEll shit. I didn't realize FCS schools were paying that much. That's surprising to me.

Still not sure that's at a level where if we offer him $800k guaranteed he scoffs at it. But certainly if FCS coaches have better longevity and he can wants some stability, that's a good salary and not crazy to think he would rather have some stability and a longer term contract rather than an extra couple of hundred k after taxes for two years and then have to move to whereever the job is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post

Oh well.........
    Good lord.

Dramatic? lulz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Did you miss the part where Leach passed away? It was kind of a big deal, so I'm surprised you missed it. We lost our more or less one of a kind head coach and offensive coordinator. It's not like we said screw it let's start over.
    I don't know. But letting all the offensive coaches go and the QBs that hit the portal hint that it may be the case on offense.

vCash
    Throw 2.5 million at Cortez Hankton and let's roll baby

vCash
    2018 - 42.9
    2019 - 40.4 (-5.8%)
    2020 - 31.0 (-23.3%)
    2021 - 30.1 (-1.9%)
    2022 - 35.3 (+16.1%)

That was during when Mike left Memphis (2019) and Memphis lost players during the transition including their leading freshman rusher, 1500 yards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Throw 2.5 million at Cortez Hankton and let's roll baby
    No way, $1-1.25 MIL tops if you think he's ready to call plays because he's never done it but he is making $850,000 at LSU.

vCash
    2018 - 42.9
    2019 - 40.4 (-5.8%)
    2020 - 31.0 (-23.3%)
    2021 - 30.1 (-1.9%)
    2022 - 35.3 (+16.1%)

Thanks.

That was during when Mike left Memphis (2019) and Memphis lost players during the transition including their leading freshman rusher, 1500 yards
    Yep. Always some factors involved in most situations. Seems he steadied the ship and went up his last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I wouldnt leave a head job making 400K for an OC job to make $1MM
    Assuming a 2 year guaranteed deal for OC, that's an extra $696k after taxes. That's nothing to sneeze at. Now if you have kids in Jr High/high school range, then stability is pretty important. If you are at a spot where you can realistically coach for another 15 years with some security (I have no clue how common that would be at FCS), then that's a lot to give up if you think failure at the OC job is going to leave you working your way back up the ranks of FCS. Making an extra $700k for two years and then having to make $150k instead of $400k for 4 years while you move around is not a great deal.

Plus there is the question of how ambitious he is. Yes, he could end up looking for another job, or he could end up doing well and be in a position to get a FBS head coaching gig that makes him and his family wealthy. Really going to depend on his mindset and what he values.