Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Well and that makes me think that there's a couple of other names out there that if he had slid them in after the Briles news people would've been mad at them, which was going to be almost any name that wasn't Riley, Kittley, or someone like that. I do think Dawson and Hatcher have shots at it. I refuse to believe those other 3 do. If they do, then the reaction was rightfully toxic and hostile and Arnett will have used all his goodwill up before February. Hell I've said since last week I've thought the hire was going to be Shannon Dawson. It was no inside knowledge. His background just makes sense. He's been with Dana for years. He recruits Texas well. He also has been with Mumme, Monken and Hopson. Granted, He did get fired at UK and USM but his offenses have been able to move the ball.
    Dawson seems like he could do a good job. Lot of experience and his offenses have been good and the Texas connection is important

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Dawson seems like he could do a good job. Lot of experience and his offenses have been good and the Texas connection is important
    Well it's important because we're losing Drew who was our main TX HS recruiter. He identified almost all our prospects from the high school ranks there. Jason Washington was the portal guy who had the TX connections but Drew got us into the high schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    I think we are about to see that Arnett wasn’t as prepared as we thought he was. The guy has been with 2 coaches his entire career. His contacts are minimal. I would be very prepared to start seeing Ryan Lindley’s name start being shopped as the OC. What should that tell us? Arnett wants the offense to be a ground and pound Pro Style offense. That’s why that list was leaked. To get us prepared for an extremely underwhelming OC hire.

I have been very worried about Arnett being the guy. He botched this search waiting until after the bowl game to start it basically and I’d be willing to bet he doesn’t have a backup list.
    I never understood why we didn't just name him the interim for the bowl game and do a proper coaching search? To keep our what? 30th ranked recruiting class together?

We should have accelerated the AD hire instead of slowing it down.

Honestly, it looks like boosters are running our program right now. Fire almost all of Leach's offensive staff and immediately put Bumphis in. And most of the names being floated around for the other assistant spots are guys that used to coach at MSU as well. And now going after some OC that they're enamored with who put up about the same point totals as Leach did this past season. I just hope this works out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Amen to this! You would think Steve would have better sense than that. He had to know it would cause a stir.
    Well and that makes me think that there's a couple of other names out there that if he had slid them in after the Briles news people would've been mad at them, which was going to be almost any name that wasn't Riley, Kittley, or someone like that. I do think Dawson and Hatcher have shots at it. I refuse to believe those other 3 do. If they do, then the reaction was rightfully toxic and hostile and Arnett will have used all his goodwill up before February. Hell I've said since last week I've thought the hire was going to be Shannon Dawson. It was no inside knowledge. His background just makes sense. He's been with Dana for years. He recruits Texas well. He also has been with Mumme, Monken and Hopson. Granted, He did get fired at UK and USM but his offenses have been able to move the ball.
    Pretty obvious to me that he leaked those names because a lot of fans are disappointed in Briles not coming- for whatever reason. I think we dodged a bullet personally but that's just my opinion. Anyway whoever we do hire will probably be someone better than Mark Whipple but not as exciting as Briles or whoever so then he can say "Hey it could have been Mark Whipple!"

Casey Woods and Rob Likens both at SMU have a background that make sense as well- and put up some darn good numbers this year. I'd roll the dice with them over Dawson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I never understood why we didn't just name him the interim for the bowl game and do a proper coaching search? To keep our what? 30th ranked recruiting class together?

We should have accelerated the AD hire instead of slowing it down.

Honestly, it looks like boosters are running our program right now. Fire almost all of Leach's offensive staff and immediately put Bumphis in. And most of the names being floated around for the other assistant spots are guys that used to coach at MSU as well. And now going after some OC that they're enamored with who put up about the same point totals as Leach did this past season. I just hope this works out.
    Well you go from a 30th ranked class, which was actually ranked 24th I think, to 130th. We were in a no win situation and whether he had an AD or not we still would've been in a no win situation. We did the best thing we could do at that moment. Now to your second point, some of the boosters are running the program if I had to guess. Look no further than Brad Peterson being installed as the new COS. Again, I'll hold judgement on the OC until one is hired, because we look we did take a big swing. We missed, but we took a big swing instead of just hiring the safe candidate from the jump. That tells me that Arnett isn't scared to take some risks.

vCash
    Pretty obvious to me that he leaked those names because a lot of fans are disappointed in Briles not coming- for whatever reason. I think we dodged a bullet personally but that's just my opinion. Anyway whoever we do hire will probably be someone better than Mark Whipple but not as exciting as Briles or whoever so then he can say "Hey it could have been Mark Whipple!"

Casey Woods and Rob Likens both at SMU have a background that make sense as well- and put up some darn good numbers this year. I'd roll the dice with them over Dawson.
    Rob Likens would be about as WE ARE MISSISSIPPI STATE as we could get. Former player that we are elevating as being a good coach because he's a former player. The guy hasn't had play calling duties in 4 years and was pretty bad when he had them that time. I'll give you Casey, even though he doesn't call the plays. But he's a lot better choice than Likens.

vCash
    When you don't have a good sitting AD in place this shit happens. I was surprised but understood when arnett was hire but this what you get with a defensive head coach with no head coaching experience at the sec level. You try to poach a sitting sec coordinator you get burned. Then the rest of the list is pickings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    When you don't have a good sitting AD in place this shit happens. I was surprised but understood when arnett was hire but this what you get with a defensive head coach with no head coaching experience at the sec level. You try to poach a sitting sec coordinator you get burned. Then the rest of the list is pickings.
    Arnett has 0 decent offensive connections outside of Leach. And he pissed in that bowl by basically telling the majority of the offensive staff GTFO. And I hated the idea of having Spurrier as OC but to push away Hollingshed, Miller, and Washington was not smart. I think we are in for a long year and half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    He botched the search?? You gotta be 17ing kidding me! With all he has had on his plate the last month AND trying to prepare for a bowl game, which he won in case you missed it. And was in the running to land one of the top OC's in America. Geez this is beyond comprehension. I don't even know what to say or think.
    You think it wasn?t feasible for him to already be back channeling the OC hire in the last month? Lol. He could?ve easily been doing that. But no. He waited. And go left at the alter. It?s the same crap Keenum did with the AD hire. Delay delay delay and then get caught with your pants down.

vCash
    For anyone thinking we basically started looking this week for an OC, they are completely wrong. We have spoken to multiple guys over the last 3 weeks. Have had deep conversations with at least 2 other guys prior to this week.

vCash

Well between those 2 you definitely look at Woods over Likens but if I poach from G5 programs, I'm poaching someone with a track record of success and calling plays. Lashlee is the SMU play caller.

Archimedes
    vCash
    We'll just have to see. We don't have the personnel to go ground and pound. Whether that be out of I or out of gun. We just don't. So we'll see real fast whether Arnett wants to win or wants to be like Moorhead and prove his way is better than the right way.
    We didn?t have the personnel to go straight air raid but we sure as hell did with Leach.

Y?all are like a bunch of teenage girls when hormones hit. Jesus Christ.

vCash
    Y’all are insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    For anyone thinking we basically started looking this week for an OC, they are completely wrong. We have spoken to multiple guys over the last 3 weeks. Have had deep conversations with at least 2 other guys prior to this week.
    I hope you’re right. That list getting sent out screams otherwise. He can talk about non-inclusive all he wants. He knew what that list would do and the logical thing would’ve been to sit on it if it didn’t have any validity to. But instead, Steve sends it out. So the next question is why? It doesn’t make any sense for him to just do it for the the tizzy he’s about to send everyone in (maybe I’m wrong). It makes more sense that that list is more accurate than he is trying to let on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    You think it wasn?t feasible for him to already be back channeling the OC hire in the last month? Lol. He could?ve easily been doing that. But no. He waited. And go left at the alter. It?s the same crap Keenum did with the AD hire. Delay delay delay and then get caught with your pants down.
    No way I’ll believe we waited till after the bowl game to START looking. If he did, fire him now. We may have waited to start negotiating then but not looking. No way in hell.

vCash
    I like Johns at Duke. I?d be excited if he comes in. Anyone know if we are looking at him?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I like Johns. Some of the name Steve put out are downright comical. Someone is screwing with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I like Johns. Some of the name Steve put out are downright comical. Someone is screwing with him.
    I doubt anyone is screwing with him. I just think whoever their agent is has been floating their name in coaching circles to try and drum up interest.

vCash
    Duke's leading rusher was the qb last season. If we going to Johns, gotta figure we need a qb or at least have one to split snaps with will... sorta like leak and tebow at Florida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Duke's leading rusher was the qb last season. If we going to Johns, gotta figure we need a qb or at least have one to split snaps with will... sorta like leak and tebow at Florida
    Look at his whole body of work not just last year. At Memphis his first year his QB ran the ball 61 times for -71 27 of those were sacks for 170 yards. While it's there in his system he doesn't have to call on the QB to do a lot of running if the ability is not there. Most of his offenses the RB get the vast majority of the carries. But he does adapt.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-06-2023 at 09:26 AM.