Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Agree. Kids loved him too. But this board wanted the hot name. Hollingshead can recruit and coach QBs and WRs
    As much as you and I disagree, I?m glad you can verify this information. Drew wasn?t just recruiting offensive players, btw, he was also very involved in us getting Brice Pollock and some other defensive players.

We could have dropped SS,Jr. moved Drew to QB coach, Bump at WR, and Mason as the OC. But, as usual, a small group of people believe you have to run the ball 30 times a game like it?s 2010 to win games now and days.

In all, I guess the people who pushed this last year when they tried to hire him for Leach will be happy now. Next they?ll be telling us how Jake Weir is a better QB than Rogers.
    Last edited by BankerDog; 01-05-2023 at 10:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Well let's fire this baby up once more. I'm going to need a stiffer drink if this thing gets to Version 4.

Realistic Candidates

Shannon Dawson- OC and QB Coach at Houston. Played at Millsaps. Has coached under Mumme, Holgorsen, Monken, and Hopson.

Brandon Jones- RGC and OL Coach at Houston. Played under Leach at TTU. Has coached under Leach, Dykes, and Holgersen. Would give us another Texas recruiter. From DFW.

Ryan Lindley- QB Coach at SDSU. Was on staff last year as a defensive analyst, but has been a QB coach or offensive asst. at both the CFB and NFL level. He's good friends with Arnett and will probably end up on the staff in some fashion if I had to guess.

Mason Miller- Current OL Coach. I don't think I have to go into Mason's background very much

Kevin Johns- Duke OC and QB Coach. Was on staff under Kingsbury at TTU for a year and has kind of modified their version of the Air Raid. More RPO guy than Air Raid though

Chris Hatcher- Probably the most pure Air Raid guy there is. Played under Leach and Mumme at Valdosta St. and was a GA on their staff at UK. Has been the HC at Samford for 8 years. Only been a position coach for one year at the FBS level. All other coaching experience at the FCS level.

Clint Trickett- OC and QB Coach at Marshall. Played under Dana at WVU. Coached under Buddy Stephens at EMCC and Lane at FAU. Runs a little more RPO has Air Raid principles

Casey Woods- OC at SMU. Starkville native. Played at Tennessee. Has coached under Malzahn and Freeze so is definitely more prone to RPO and spread than Air Raid

Why The Hell Not Ask Candidates

Kliff Kingsbury- Will be unemployed come Monday so he should be available. He's not much of a HC, but he's an elite OC. Don't know his desire to get back into the college game, but before he got the Cardinals job he was going to be the USC OC.

Garrett Riley- TCU OC. His next stop will be a HC, but hell throw 2 mil + at him and just see.

Joe Brady- Probably wants to stay in the NFL, but he has revived his career in Buffalo. Maybe he could turn Will around as well.

Scott Frost- Former Nebraska and UCF HC. Definitely more spread run than Air Raid, but is a dynamite recruiter and play caller.

We Can't Hire Him But I Want To So Bad Candidate

Art Briles- We would be hell on wheels on offense. We also would piss more than a couple of people off. But hey, winning cures everything and Freeze gets to lead an SEC program again.
    That's a better list than what is being reported.

vCash
    Like I said on another thread if we pay somebody $2.5 million for OC we will be paying the highest assistant coach salary in college football. I agree $2 million should be the max on anybody and this would put us in the top 3 concerning salaries.

vCash
    I'll throw a name out, Casey Woods OC at SMU. SMU finished 12th in the nation in offense. This is his 1st year as OC. He came from Missouri where he coached TE and was recruiting coordinator. He served in the same role at UAB. He appears to be a hell of a recruiter. Was wr coach at Arkansas St. He was also at Auburn. For everyone wanting to bring back the TE, this might be your guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    That's a better list than what is being reported.
    Unfortunately I know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I'll throw a name out, Casey Woods OC at SMU. SMU finished 12th in the nation in offense. This is his 1st year as OC. He came from Missouri where he coached TE and was recruiting coordinator. He served in the same role at UAB. He appears to be a hell of a recruiter. Was wr coach at Arkansas St. He was also at Auburn. For everyone wanting to bring back the TE, this might be your guy.
    He's already on the list. Starkville native. A little too RPO based for our offense, but if you could get a transfer QB it could work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    As much as you and I disagree, I?m glad you can verify this information. Drew wasn?t just recruiting offensive players, btw, he was also very involved in us getting Brice Pollock and some other defensive players.

We could have dropped SS,Jr. moved Drew to QB coach, Bump at WR, and Mason as the OC. But, as usual, a small group of people believe you have to run the ball 30 times a game like it?s 2010 to win games now and days.
    I think Hollingshead will end up being an OC sometimes in the future if he sets his mind to doing so. We were planning on KB being the QB coach .
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 01-05-2023 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Agree. Kids loved him too. But this board wanted the hot name. Hollingshead can recruit and coach QBs and WRs
    This may be a dumb question but, why not just have him be the QB coach? I look at it as Chad took Spurrier's job not Drew's. Hell give him a co-OC title.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    This is what is being said is a partial list:

1- Mark Whipple.
    2- Mike Bobo
    3- Jim Chaney
    4- Chris Hatcher
    5- Shannon Dawson

Hoping Arnett is not in over his head. Want him to be the man, but Bo figgin Bo?? Really? Whipple?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    He doesn't call the plays. Lashlee does

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    This may be a dumb question but, why not just have him be the QB coach? I look at it as Chad took Spurrier's job not Drew's
    Thought of this as well.

vCash
    Woods is the son of Sparkey Woods. I thought I remembered the name. Sparkey is a great dude. Working for Brown at NC
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

1- Mark Whipple.
    2- Mike Bobo
    3- Jim Chaney
    4- Chris Hatcher
    5- Shannon Dawson

Hoping Arnett is not in over his head. Want him to be the man, but Bo figgin Bo?? Really? Whipple?
    Didn't Georgia fans once say "Bobo has to go go?"

vCash

1- Mark Whipple.
    2- Mike Bobo
    3- Jim Chaney
    4- Chris Hatcher
    5- Shannon Dawson

Was just about to post that I'll add them to the list, but holy S*** those first 3 names are beyond dumpster fire. Hell at this rate we may just need to hire Hatcher and move on. He's better than Whipple, Chaney, or Bobo.

vCash
    It's wild how we went from being able to "big game hunt" to having to settle for scraps because "nobody wants to work for a 1st year HC" in a day or two.

Our fan base is the kings of getting fired up about one guy and creating a narrative around him, only to find out in the end that we're still poor and undesirable. It's fascinating really.

So basically it was Briles or Dog Shit? King Kong or ding dong? How is that possible? And if the next guy behind Briles on our list was scraps, how were our leaders so gullible as to think we actually had a shot at Kendal? When you're talking to a 10, and the next one on your wish list is a 3....the 10 is playing you, 100% of the time.

We have to be the dumbest, most gullible program in the country.

vCash

1- Mark Whipple.
    2- Mike Bobo
    3- Jim Chaney
    4- Chris Hatcher
    5- Shannon Dawson

That list is less than inspiring.

vCash
    We can't get Kittley but what about the guys that replaced him?

I know he just took the WSU OC job but would Arbuckle listen to us?

What about Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern? Was co-offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky with Kittley. In year 1 he has Georgia Southern in the top 20 offenses in the nation. 1 spot ahead of Kittley and Texas Tech. The number 4 passing team in the nation.

vCash
    He's already on the list. Starkville native. A little too RPO based for our offense, but if you could get a transfer QB it could work.
    I see that now. My bad. Missed it the first time I read the list.

vCash
    Idk why so many people on here are against paying top dollar for a proven OC

Ole miss is paying 9 million for a head coach
    LSU 9.5
    A&M 9
    Alabama 12 or so
    Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

We have a first time head coach that we promoted that we are giving him a chance that he would not have had anywhere else to be a sec head coach

We are paying him 3 million

If we are going to compete we are going to have to get him some help by bringing in a proven OC that can handle the offense , you will have to pay 2 million or above to get that and that would be fine because Zach will earn his money as a head coach if he does good he will be given annual raises

Even then that does not come anywhere near 9 million

I?m tired of the poor ole Mississippi state mindset

I like Zach and think he?s going to do great but shit.

Also anyone that thinks promoting Mason miller to OC is mentally retarded.

If Mike leach , who has called plays for 30+ years and had been a head coach for over 20 , couldn?t get this offense to scoring points on good sec defenses.

What the hell do you think his Offensive Line coach would do?

Give me a break.

vCash
    Was just about to post that I'll add them to the list, but holy S*** those first 3 names are beyond dumpster fire. Hell at this rate we may just need to hire Hatcher and move on. He's better than Whipple, Chaney, or Bobo.
    Get Hatcher now then.