Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let this be a lesson to you all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Anyone that got their hopes up needs to take a step back to reality and calm down. Our fan base makes things tens times worse than they have to be because we don't have an OC named 3 days after our bowl game.

The next week is going to be miserable from some folks on here that can't stop obsessing over this and providing doom and gloom updates every hour.
    Truth. I love State and I love State to win at everything but at the end of the day who we hire does not pay my bills or affect my daily life at all. I enjoy all
    things State and this board but gotta have some perspective and not lose your mind.

vCash
    I'm more of a pessimistic person than I should be, but I had fun having some hope. Made the board a lot of fun for a few days. That's the reason I follow football. Fun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Arnett tried to get who he thought was best. We apparently ponied up the money to play ball but he ultimately stayed.

Isn't that exactly what we've asked our program to do? Briles would have been a solid hire and if Arkansas really didn't want him, he wouldn't have gotten an extension.

Arnett swung for the fences and missed. So what. He went after a bigger name and tired to make a splash, which this would have.

Too many people on this board and in our fan base want us to play it safe, then wonder why we never win a ton of games. Don't take risks but go win a bunch of games! Good for Arnett doing something atypical MSU by trying to get a bigger name.
    On to the next one.
    THIS!!! If you don't ask, you don't get!! I don't blame ZA for thinking big and going after it. I'm sure he's got a Plan B; let's get behind the coach!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Should?ve went 2.5 million
    Money wasn't a factor. If we went $2.5 and if he accepted it then we would have the highest paid assistant coach in college football. I didn't see any ** on your post so I'm assuming you are serious this time.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 01-06-2023 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Good lord, I wish half of y?all would just shut the hell up. I get so tired of posters coming on here to say ?I told you so?. You are still a small fish in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.

I hope we try again and swing for the fence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    If I quit trying every time someone told me no I'd be broke.
    For sure. The answer is always "no" unless you raise the question or present the opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    For sure. The answer is always "no" unless you raise the question or present the opportunity.
    Yep.

vCash
    I said I would be shocked from the jump. There was no way. Didnt make sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    Good lord, I wish half of y?all would just shut the hell up. I get so tired of posters coming on here to say ?I told you so?. You are still a small fish in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.

I hope we try again and swing for the fence.
    We have to. This hire is critical to our success going forward.

vCash
    I never expected it to happen, but I'm a 55 year old State fan. It would have been nice, but we'll get the right fit. CZA seems like he's gonna be an extremely hard worker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Stop being so gullible!

1) An SEC OC is successful at a school that can match our offers. 1st clue we weren't getting Briles.

2) His agent is notorious for playing schools for pay raises, literally just did it to Auburn with Kiffin. Clue 2.

3) Our insiders were told yesterday we got him, but the signing kept dragging and dragging, almost like Briles was trying to see what Arky would counter with. Clue 3.

Insiders get their info from people close to the situation. people close to the situation care a LOT and are eager to believe anything that's good for State. We, as a viewing audience, need to be more critical. This would have been an unusual move, the agent does this all the time, and unexplained hold ups kept this from moving quick. The ONLY thing implying this would happen was that he was giving us the time of day, which of course he would, he has too to get an offer he can take to Arky to match.
    The difference is, if we had an OC being shopped, any program in the West that wanted him would get him, no problem.

vCash
    In other words, "you were wrong"........You'll feel better when you can admit it.........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Arkansas can't be too thrilled they got played for more money either. Loved when Keenum sword-played Cohen's attempt to hold us up.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Arkansas can't be too thrilled they got played for more money either. Loved when Keenum sword-played Cohen's attempt to hold us up.
    This reason is actually why I?m not worried. From everything I can tell, MSU wasn?t played in this at all?.Arky, possibly, but this was a big nothing burger in terms of media. It didn?t affect MSU negatively at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    This reason is actually why I?m not worried. From everything I can tell, MSU wasn?t played in this at all?.Arky, possibly, but this was a big nothing burger in terms of media. It didn?t affect MSU negatively at all.
    Hmmm ...... not sure about that but it's done now. No choice but to move on.

vCash
    Dumb question: We had the Father ( older brother, Mumme), of a very unusual offense. We thought we had to get out of the box on his hire to have a chance to compete with big boys, as decades of 3 yards and a cloud of dust led to one SEC championship and one West title. All of our present offensive players were recruited to play in this offense as was incoming players on that side of the ball. Now, question. Are we limited in our available OC candidates to play a form of the Air Raid with needed adjustments, as most other candidates risk a total 3 year rebuild that no one wants or will have the patience to wait on? Lot easier to fall from 9 wins in 22 than stay there in 23. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 01-05-2023 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    You can't do that when the head coach makes 3 million.
    This is its own problem, and why we need an AD. If you believe in Arnett you show him that and give him a contract on par with his peers. Underpaying just because you can is a Mickey Mouse move and screams of inexperience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    This is its own problem, and why we need an AD. If you believe in Arnett you show him that and give him a contract on par with his peers. Underpaying just because you can is a Mickey Mouse move and screams of inexperience.
    Pitman's first contract was $3 Mil. No HC experience.

Heupal's first contract was $4MIL coming in as a HC at UCF.

Beamer is making $2.75 MIL as a first time HC.

Think we are exactly in line with the SEC coaches coming from similar background at ZA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Hmmm ...... not sure about that but it's done now. No choice but to move on.
    I'm not sure about the media not being a negative thing either. It did make the media that we were trying to get KB. "Kendal Briles Turns Down Mississippi State And Stays At Arkansas" just posted by USA Today and probably ESPN. SI and some other media will jump on that wagon. We know CL will put their two cents in.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 01-06-2023 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    Only if we had a Target store***

Sometimes money isn't always the final decision for a family to move. Fayetteville (NW Arkansas) is a pretty nice place to be.