Thread: McCarthy with 9 loses. Who is he

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

McCarthy with 9 loses. Who is he

Texas AM? Just kidding. Hope it keeps going. Vegas just put the over/under at 13 votes.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Haha, rhino swamp rat deserves more L's

vCash
    Dang they did six votes today.

vCash
    Trying to set some type of record. Longest House Speaker Vote since 1864 there about. I hope it gets to 17 votes. Classic.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Weird thing, the Speaker of the House doesn't actually have to be a house member. Someone should nominate Liz Cheney or maybe Obama.
    I am not sure that if the Speaker doesn't have to be House Member, what would happen if they nominated a sitting member of the Senate. Like Minority Leader.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Weird thing, the Speaker of the House doesn't actually have to be a house member. Someone should nominate Liz Cheney or maybe Obama.
    I am not sure that if the Speaker doesn't have to be House Member, what would happen if they nominated a sitting member of the Senate. Like Minority Leader.
    Gaetz nominated Trump today, fwiw.

vCash
    Elon for Speaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Elon for Speaker.
    Elon for UN Sec General..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Texas AM? Just kidding. Hope it keeps going. Vegas just put the over/under at 13 votes.
    I'm really not sure how this gets resolved. The holdouts aren't wrong in that McCarthy is a sellout. But there are not really rules concessions that can be made to resolve the problem with they have because there is no interested party that isn't a sell out that could plausibly win. McCarthy would probably be happy to make a deal with enough democrats to get the leadership position, but then he's just further painting himself with the rhino label and I'm not sure which democrats are in districts that will want to see their representative reach across the aisle like that. Even in the purple districts, I'm not sure any credit you get for reaching across the aisle is enough to compensate for alienating your more left wing democrat constituents.

I kind of feel like the 20 holdouts wanted to be on record against McCarthy, but didn't actually expect to hold up the vote. Now none of them can really back down without appearing to get something (and it probably can't be a committee assignment, because that will make them look "swampy"). Has to get some sort of rules concession, preferably on spending, but of course swampy and a lot of non-swampy republicans are scared about a shutdown already because they don't believe they can win the PR battle, no matter how reasonable they are being.

vCash
    TAKE YOUR POLITICS ELSEWHERE