Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT- Have any of you put money into a CD recently i am having a hard time finding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I, in fact, ordered two new cds from Amazon two nights ago, the Jackly debut album and the reissue of UFO, "Walk On Water". As for the financial considerations, getting them free with bonus points from my Capital One card. Plan to play them in my 2002 Impala that I bought new and still getting 30mph at 179K miles!*** Rock On! Hail State!
    A man after my own heart!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I, in fact, ordered two new cds from Amazon two nights ago, the Jackly debut album and the reissue of UFO, "Walk On Water". As for the financial considerations, getting them free with bonus points from my Capital One card. Plan to play them in my 2002 Impala that I bought new and still getting 30mph at 179K miles!*** Rock On! Hail State!
    OT I know! I have a 2018 Chevy Equinox SUV - Diesel model and I get 700 - 710 miles (46mpg) on a 15 gallon tank (on the highway). In town I get about 530 - 550 miles per tank (36mpg). I have a little over 50K miles on the vehicle. It has been a great vehicle so far - almost 5 years old!

vCash
    CD rates as a whole just aren't that high. With the Fed raising interest rates, CD's are definitely paying better than they did last year and may continue to increase, but I think you're out of luck if you're trying to find a 6 month CD paying 7%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You can only put 10K in an I Bond.
    He and his spouse can put $20k total, and if they have a refund coming, can get another $10k that way. Any LLC can also put $10k in. With him already owning a bunch of land, presumably at least some of that land is in a business entity so that's $40k out of $200k that he can get in over the next few months depending on when his return is due.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    any banks that will give 5% or more on 150-200k unless i do 3 years. i am in Arkansas any suggestions?
    My suggestion - Let me deer hunt on your land.**

vCash
    You can only put 10K in an I Bond.
    You can get around the $10k per year per person max for I-bonds with the "gift box" feature. Still might not work for the original poster to get $150k invested, but if you're married with a few kids you could get $100k invested right away and only tie it up for two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post
    You can get around the $10k per year per person max for I-bonds with the "gift box" feature. Still might not work for the original poster to get $150k invested, but if you're married with a few kids you could get $100k invested right away and only tie it up for two years.
    Yeah, I'm aware, but it's not worth the hassle. The extra 5K per individual has to be in paper form as well as coming from a refund. And he may not want to put anything in his kids name. If you can get a 1 year CD at 4.6 or better, it's a lot cleaner.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm aware, but it's not worth the hassle. The extra 5K per individual has to be in paper form as well as coming from a refund. And he may not want to put anything in his kids name. If you can get a 1 year CD at 4.6 or better, it's a lot cleaner.
    No, the gift box can be any amount and can be electronic. You get the full economic benefits as if you actually owned it, but it's segregated in the "gift box" until pulled out of the gift box and placed in the recipient's name. When gifted, it counts against your $10k max contribution for that year. It's a good way to get a larger amount invested to get the benefits of the high current rates and to start the 5-year and 1-year clocks running right away.