Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest on the OC?

vCash
    Seems a lot of players-coaches jumping off the UPig ship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    No one on this board has any influence over who is going to be hired. Just let it play out before getting your panties in a wad.
    Hey look, some sanity!

My only add is that I thought the point of hiring ZA was total continuity. All of this shake-up is surprising. Can't say whether it's good or bad until it plays out, just surprising. Perhaps he is just so impressive that he was an obvious choice either way. All we can do is wait and see how it plays out at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Seems a lot of players-coaches jumping off the UPig ship
    I just spoke with friend who had a nephew on the team that transferred out. He only said that this kid was leaving due to the position coach, did say that Pitman said that they would not play the NIL game if they were pushed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I like ZA more by the hour. This is a great, aggressive move
    what? you actually LIKE something.. Now that is a first.. Give it time-I'm sure You will find several things you hate -soon.

vCash
    Some of y'all who are completely opposed to anything but the air raid act like we've been a juggernaut on offense or something.

We were 62nd in total offense this year. I'm not sure why some are so hell bent on keeping more of the same.

The personnel excuse is BS, especially with the transfer portal.

I love Coach Leach but to keep a mediocre offense for the sake of keeping it is not wise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Some of y'all who are completely opposed to anything but the air raid act like we've been a juggernaut on offense or something.

We were 62nd in total offense this year. I'm not sure why some are so hell bent on keeping more of the same.

I love Coach Leach but to keep a mediocre offense for the sake of keeping it is not wise
    I think the fear is based entirely on what we have been through Dan walked out the door. Fact is our offense has gone through 2 major transitions in 5 seasons, and no one wants to see us go through another retooling.
    Based on this I think Briles is arguably the perfect guy - has an Air Raid back ground, a history with multiple approaches, and has shown that his offenses improve immediately.

I think Briles is the type who could come in and make Will better by simplifying the approach and actually calling the plays instead of relying on Will to read everything and think too much.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

It would be really dumb as this point to switch to an offensive scheme that didn't have an Air Raid foundation. A total over haul right now would not be in Arnett's best interests as a new HC.

vCash
    Why do some think we are to good for Briles? He?d be a huge get. Young, innovative. And I?m sure he knows Lane?s whole offense, which would certainly help in the egg bowl!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    It would be really dumb as this point to switch to an offensive scheme that didn't have an Air Raid foundation. A total over haul right now would not be in Arnett's best interests as a new HC.
    Briles wouldn't be a complete overhaul. He's used air raid concepts before and had success with them.

He's shown to be an adaptive OC.

I'll leave Arnett to decide what's in his best interests since it's his job

vCash
    Wonder if he would hire his daddy ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    Wonder if he would hire his daddy ?
    Negative

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Well, it's a good damn thing Briles incorporates Air Raid concepts in his offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Well, it's a good damn thing Briles incorporates Air Raid concepts in his offense.
    Think we got a real shot?

vCash
    Anybody wanting JUST "continuity", I just can't understand that. Even the players in the air raid know that the offense wasn't getting the job done. That's why some of our best weapons left it. If any player were to leave bc we went Briles instead of Spurrier Jr, then I'll help them find a new team bc we do not want them.

I'm seriously blown away at the amount of "continuity" and not wanting to veer from the Air Raid, posts. WTF have you been doing when we've had possession of the ball the last few years, putting a bag over your head? The "Air Raid" is what's holding us back. And with Leach's unfortunate passing, we have been given a way to go to a better offensive scheme without firing or forcing any changes to a bad offense. The kids are 18-22 year olds...they can change from crossing routes to the routes they ran in high school with little problem. Not only that, we have a bunch of talented receivers that aren't touching the ball enough due to our stubborn scheme as it is, and a new offense will change that.
    Briles would not come in and completely disrupt what we have going. He has never done that, and never will. Unless you deem "making it a hell of a lot better" as "disruptive"....and if that's the case, come and disrupt the hell out of it, Kendall.

vCash
    Exactly. Todd has somehow gotten people to believe that Briles runs the wish bone or something. These posts are ludicrous

vCash
    Remember that we were paying Leach, what, 5.5 mil? Arnett is getting paid 3 mil a year as of now, so you have more chips at the table for the assistants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Anybody wanting JUST "continuity", I just can't understand that. Even the players in the air raid know that the offense wasn't getting the job done. That's why some of our best weapons left it. If any player were to leave bc we went Briles instead of Spurrier Jr, then I'll help them find a new team bc we do not want them.

I'm seriously blown away at the amount of "continuity" and not wanting to veer from the Air Raid, posts. WTF have you been doing when we've had possession of the ball the last few years, putting a bag over your head? The "Air Raid" is what's holding us back. And with Leach's unfortunate passing, we have been given a way to go to a better offensive scheme without firing or forcing any changes to a bad offense. The kids are 18-22 year olds...they can change from crossing routes to the routes they ran in high school with little problem. Not only that, we have a bunch of talented receivers that aren't touching the ball enough due to our stubborn scheme as it is, and a new offense will change that.
    Briles would not come in and completely disrupt what we have going. He has never done that, and never will. Unless you deem "making it a hell of a lot better" as "disruptive"....and if that's the case, come and disrupt the hell out of it, Kendall.
    It's MSU induced PTSD. People believed that JoMo's offense would be the tweaking and modernizing of Mullen's offense that wee needed to make the next step - and it was a train wreck (which was more about JoMo than the system)
    Then we switch to pure Air Raid and endure the pain that produced after 115 years of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. People look at what is coming back, see our schedule, and "change" to them means JoMo 2.0 instead of possible improvement.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Briles wouldn't be a complete overhaul. He's used air raid concepts before and had success with them.

He's shown to be an adaptive OC.

I'll leave Arnett to decide what's in his best interests since it's his job
    Oh, I'm 100% pro-Briles. I do not want some OC that's a Big10 ground and pound. That's just stupid. We need an OC that's AR friendly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's MSU induced PTSD. People believed that JoMo's offense would be the tweaking and modernizing of Mullen's offense that wee needed to make the next step - and it was a train wreck (which was more about JoMo than the system)
    Then we switch to pure Air Raid and endure the pain that produced after 115 years of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. People look at what is coming back, see our schedule, and "change" to them means JoMo 2.0 instead of possible improvement.
    Thats a dang good assessment!

vCash
    I think continuity means keeping a similar type offense but it doesn't mean keeping the exact offense we have now. CML was the only one in D1 football to run a pure Air Raid. Continuity doesn't have anything to do with the coaching staff. CZA wants coaches that he thinks can do the best job in the offense that he wants to run. You can't handicap and tell CZA that you have the job but you have to keep the same offense and coaches you have now because a few on MSU boards freak out if there is any change, and they think they know what is best for our football program. And this rebuild talk is just stupid. He is not going to tear down our current football program but just add to it. That makes no sense at all on this rebuild mentality.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 01-03-2023 at 11:10 AM.