Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    He's got bad footwork. Many times, he just stops his feet all together and then delivers a throw.
    And this could be one of the issues with velocity on the ball

vCash
    He's got bad footwork. Many times, he just stops his feet all together and then delivers a throw.
    Just ask Will about his footwork. He should know cuz he looks at his feet a lot.

vCash
    Joe Namath says "hold my beer".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    And this could be one of the issues with velocity on the ball
    LOL, u should go place a bet in Vegas, u seem to know more or little more than QB's, LOL

vCash
    I do see Will throwing falling away backwards on his backfoot often enough. Never been a QB so I'm not the best when it comes to footwork but I know that's not right. I could be wrong but I've always assumed good footwork and pocket mobility went hand in hand and he has no pocket mobility. I know he's not the fastest guy or most athletic (although I think he may have hit a 40 pr when he tucked tail and ran backwards from a sack vs OM) but there's been guys just as slow that work the pocket so well. It always pains me to not see him step up into the pocket and remain a sitting target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not buying he has bad foot work, many times he is getting rid of the ball and there isn't much to do with foot work as it is squaring up and touch. If you never played QB then you shouldn't discuss fundamentals.
    You can't square up with bad footwork and Will has terrible footwork. He rarely even climbs the pocket to throw.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    You can't square up with bad footwork and Will has terrible footwork. He rarely even climbs the pocket to throw.
    I think Will's footwork hurts him worse than his arm strength. It's as bad as I've ever seen among SEC QB's. It's correctable but it takes time, something he's running out of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    I think Will's footwork hurts him worse than his arm strength. It's as bad as I've ever seen among SEC QB's. It's correctable but it takes time, something he's running out of.
    Bingo! And it baffles me he hasn't fixed it. I'm not sure if the coaches were working with him on correcting it or not, but if he threw with good form, he would have a lot more zip on his throws. He doesn't have the strongest arm anyway, but with bad form it decreases velocity and distance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Agreed 1000%.

vCash
    I've never coached qbs but I have coached a lot of pitchers in my day and while not an expert I know throwing mechanics fairly well. I went and rewatched the game last night and just focused on Wills throws. When Will actually uses his lower body he has pretty good arm strength. One example on the next to last drive in the 4th quarter he threw about a 12 yard out from one hash to the other side of the field and the ball had plenty of zip on it and was right on the money. That's a tough throw and he made it with ease because he used his lower and drove the ball to that spot. On the downside Will sometimes gets lazy with his lower half and his motion becomes elongated(not just him this is a fairly common flaw in young throwers, Dart does it as well as many others) and he doesn't have enough natural arm strength to compensate for not using his lower half and that's when you will see the looping throws that are usually overthrown. Heck my youngest son used to drive me crazy because his velo would be all over the place for this very reason. He would throw bb's for an inning and then all of a sudden his velo and commmand would be down and then all of a sudden it would comeback(inconsistent with the lower half). Will made some really impressive throws with velo and accuracy Monday and then he made some terrible throws because he didn't engage the lower half and drive the ball. So many young pitchers/qbs are just not consistent with the lower half and keeping their motion short,compact and powerful. Just watch Tom Brady as an example. Dude is 46 years old and can still wing it because he steps into every throw with a short compact delivery and drives the ball. In baseball we call it a repeatable delivery and that's what ever pitcher(and qb) should strive because it gives you consistent velo and accuracy. Just my observations(which don't count for much)because there are certainly people that now way more than me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I've never coached qbs but I have coached a lot of pitchers in my day and while not an expert I know throwing mechanics fairly well. I went and rewatched the game last night and just focused on Wills throws. When Will actually uses his lower body he has pretty good arm strength. One example on the next to last drive in the 4th quarter he threw about a 12 yard out from one hash to the other side of the field and the ball had plenty of zip on it and was right on the money. That's a tough throw and he made it with ease because he used his lower and drove the ball to that spot. On the downside Will sometimes gets lazy with his lower half and his motion becomes elongated(not just him this is a fairly common flaw in young throwers, Dart does it as well as many others) and he doesn't have enough natural arm strength to compensate for not using his lower half and that's when you will see the looping throws that are usually overthrown. Heck my youngest son used to drive me crazy because his velo would be all over the place for this very reason. He would throw bb's for an inning and then all of a sudden his velo and commmand would be down and then all of a sudden it would comeback(inconsistent with the lower half). Will made some really impressive throws with velo and accuracy Monday and then he made some terrible throws because he didn't engage the lower half and drive the ball. So many young pitchers/qbs are just not consistent with the lower half and keeping their motion short,compact and powerful. Just watch Tom Brady as an example. Dude is 46 years old and can still wing it because he steps into every throw with a short compact delivery and drives the ball. In baseball we call it a repeatable delivery and that's what ever pitcher(and qb) should strive because it gives you consistent velo and accuracy. Just my observations(which don't count for much)because there are certainly people that now way more than me.
    Great analysis.... now go coach Will!

vCash
    Thanks, I will tell you pitchers are extremely hard headed and want to do things their way, so I'm sure qbs are too! I've had a lot of success with young players and its amazing to watch them grow and learn and then say "hey coach you were right". Some get it and some don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Our backups are at this point not as good as our starter, which is part of the issue with a room with two strong 4 stars. Our QB room may indeed be one big miss unless Parson is the real deal.
    'What' backups? They are leaving ... via portal.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    LMAO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not buying he has bad foot work, many times he is getting rid of the ball and there isn't much to do with foot work as it is squaring up and touch. If you never played QB then you shouldn't discuss fundamentals.
    Will retreats and rolls right at any hint of pressure. Stepping up more and delivering the ball would help a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Sounds like he needs to follow this guy's lead:

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I have to laugh as many comments about foot work, ket me say this, Will is gonna continue to be what he is, now can he improve, of course. I've been way more concerned with dropped passes the last few years than Rogers foot work. One thing I will say, Will is a winner, you don't put up the numbers like he has with having "a problem" with foot work. It works for him and many other QB's with faults. Hell Patrick Mahomes throws from all kinda different angles, off balance, side arm, under arm, leaving his feet to throw as well as having perfection in form.
    Will's footwork isn't his problem, again he is what he is and that is a winner.

Btw, if there is a better QB next year, I'm for it, but I'm doubting there will be and believe me, in private I have doubts at time, but I ain't gonna blast him publicly like many.
    Enough from me, carry on and I hope like hell win win 9 games next year with a QB who has terrible fundamentals.

I surely feel for Bucky, I can understand him defending Will. I imagine I will be reading some bad things about my grandson this spring.

vCash
    He definitely stops his feet when he attempts to run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Will retreats and rolls right at any hint of pressure. Stepping up more and delivering the ball would help a lot.
    I'm not doubting that. But he does pretty well overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Sounds like he needs to follow this guy's lead:

Dak definitely has figured it out. His throwing mechanics early in his State career were pretty bad. Guy worked his butt of to get where he's at.