Thread: NIL: We Are Feeling the Pain

vCash

NIL: We Are Feeling the Pain

The NIL has its good and bad. One one my fears has always been that it could wreck a locker room. While they're maybe a little envy if the local Chevy dealership gives one player a $75,000 pickup, it might not really disturb the locker room.
    But the collective is a different story. Players see the collective dollars as "program controlled" money. From that viewpoint, when a few players are given big $ to stay with the team, other players start to question how much or little the program values them. For example, WR 1 has 40 catches for 320 yards. WR 2 has 35 catches for 298 yards. 1 gets $50k to not hit the portal. Now 2, who really had no thoughts of transferring, now feels that he deserves money too and starts a rumor that he's considering transferring in hope of getting the bag like WR 1. To appease him he's offered $10k, but he's pissed bc he feels that the program undervalues him as compared to his teammate.

Of course other player know of theses dealings. Some think the program was unfair to WR 2. Some are thinking where's my bag... maybe I should threaten or enter the portal to see if they value me. Some will actually enter the portal in hope of getting money like some of their teammates. For some other programs will offer $, and the players will expect MSU to match it.

Most programs are navigating these issues. I believe that we're having these very issues. This is quite the pickle for the programs and can be very difficult to manage. We are experiencing this at this moment. And yes, it's having a detrimental effect on our team. I'm glad that I'm not the one tasked with making this all work.

vCash
    The NCAA dropped the ball on this several years ago. It would have been costly to the smaller schools but they could have simply fixed it by requiring ALL Scholarship athletes receive the same stipend across the board and by capping Coaches salaries. But they didn?t and here we are. In a Royal CF in BFEgypt!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    The NCAA dropped the ball on this several years ago. It would have been costly to the smaller schools but they could have simply fixed it by requiring ALL Scholarship athletes receive the same stipend across the board and by capping Coaches salaries. But they didn?t and here we are. In a Royal CF in BFEgypt!!!
    You right. The NCAA, the member presidents and ADs, stuck their heads in the sand on the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    The NIL has its good and bad. One one my fears has always been that it could wreck a locker room. While they're maybe a little envy if the local Chevy dealership gives one player a $75,000 pickup, it might not really disturb the locker room.
    But the collective is a different story. Players see the collective dollars as "program controlled" money. From that viewpoint, when a few players are given big $ to stay with the team, other players start to question how much or little the program values them. For example, WR 1 has 40 catches for 320 yards. WR 2 has 35 catches for 298 yards. 1 gets $50k to not hit the portal. Now 2, who really had no thoughts of transferring, now feels that he deserves money too and starts a rumor that he's considering transferring in hope of getting the bag like WR 1. To appease him he's offered $10k, but he's pissed bc he feels that the program undervalues him as compared to his teammate.

Of course other player know of theses dealings. Some think the program was unfair to WR 2. Some are thinking where's my bag... maybe I should threaten or enter the portal to see if they value me. Some will actually enter the portal in hope of getting money like some of their teammates. For some other programs will offer $, and the players will expect MSU to match it.

Most programs are navigating these issues. I believe that we're having these very issues. This is quite the pickle for the programs and can be very difficult to manage. We are experiencing this at this moment. And yes, it's having a detrimental effect on our team. I'm glad that I'm not the one tasked with making this all work.
    Yep. We've had a few who don't think they are getting their worth and have said they will put feelers out. You also have some guys who are running their mouth saying they got offered more from the collective than is true, which upsets teammates.
    Saban has complained of the same thing and is dealing with it at Bama. They have starters in the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    The NCAA cannot cap coaching salaries. They already tried to do that with an assistant basketball position and they got sued.

College sports can't be fixed unless they get federal legislation providing some anti-trust carveouts or unless some schools break off and form a competitor to the NCAA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    The NCAA cannot cap coaching salaries. They already tried to do that with an assistant basketball position and they got sued.

College sports can't be fixed unless they get federal legislation providing some anti-trust carveouts or unless some schools break off and form a competitor to the NCAA.
    The break off is the easiest route. Quells the antitrust issue. Establish your own, different rules and if players don't like it they can go play in the ncaa or naia. Side note: I thought the ncaa lawyers conceding in the Alston case that the ncaa had a monopoly on college athletics was stupid. The naia already exists as an alternative and a new league comprised of the teams who break away will make a third option.

vCash
    We are the Oakland A's of College Football. We cannot sign Aaron Judge. We cannot keep Giambi. So how do we play "Moneyball"?

vCash
    This whole thing is a cluster of epic proportions. Kids can basically say if coach is to tough on me or player x is getting this much and I know I deserve more than him, etc..they just quit and leave. No way a coach can be tough or hard on players anymore(accept the ones who actually want to be coached). We have the equivalent of the backyard football or basketball game when we were kids and someone gets mad and takes their ball and goes home. What a freaking mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDawg View Post
    We are the Oakland A's of College Football. We cannot sign Aaron Judge. We cannot keep Giambi. So how do we play "Moneyball"?
    Get transfers from Alabama and Georgia who are good but not quite refined enough to see the field. Justin Robinson will blow up next year, hopefully the first of many.

vCash
    We're going to have to start hiring social workers to help these kids get through all these tough times playing cfb****only half kidding

vCash
    Ra Ra knows how good Robinson is as well...........

vCash
    Without a salary cap it is untenable. Take the case of Zavion Thomas. Now I don't know what is going to happen with him; I only know what I read on here. By all accounts ZT has the potential to become a major producer for us.

So suppose LSU lets it be known they are interested in him. MSU can get in a bidding war with them and ultimately lose if LSU really wants him.

Now suppose LSU doesn't need him but they can drive up the price to keep him. Using numbers someone posted in a previous thread let's suppose it costs us $50k to keep him. Now another WR who has been around longer and has already been an average producer gets mad because he isn't feeling the love.

LSU doesn't have to get him to win. Just cause chaos.

vCash
    The NCAA is not some powerful dictator. It's the collective voice and direction of member institutions. Keenum is the NCAA. If you want to field a team of good players, you will either pay yours or pay someone else's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Get transfers from Alabama and Georgia who are good but not quite refined enough to see the field. Justin Robinson will blow up next year, hopefully the first of many.
    There are a few from Bammer that are legit SEC talents, IMO... RB Trey Sanders and OL Cohen are two that come to mind...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17