Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't imagine what Charlie and the BI have to deal with....

vCash

I can't imagine what Charlie and the BI have to deal with....

in the NFL you have salary cap experts and GM's to deal with this. How do you decide how much to pay a player. Take Isaac Smith. What does it take to sign him? 50K, 100K? 200K? And then how does it get distributed: Signing bonus, monthly, semi-annually. And how do the returning safties handle the fact that this freshman is making 3 times what they are making? Who helps Isaac with taxes/money management. If he sucks, do you cut his "salary". If he's great do you have to take another chunk out of the BI.

Are donors supposed to blindly give to BI without knowing where their money is going? Just so many questions with this BS.

vCash
    The thing that is the most weird to me is that us fans have to foot the bill with our money. Why can?t the university have a profit sharing model where the players get paid from the revenue of the tv deals and ticket sales?

vCash
    NIL was supposed to have been about marketability, not salary. A student athlete could negotiate to profit off his marketability. Just because a player can produce "x" number of yards or "y" receptions doesn't necessarily mean he's marketable. Heck you could have a kicker or long snapper with a unique personality (Neon Deon or the Boz) and a huge twitter following and would be a whole lot more marketable than some receiver who catches 3 to 5 receptions a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    The thing that is the most weird to me is that us fans have to foot the bill with our money. Why can?t the university have a profit sharing model where the players get paid from the revenue of the tv deals and ticket sales?
    The whole thing is nuts. Supposedly you can't pay the players out of the athletic department revenues because that would be pay for play and these guys are 'amateurs'. The farce is that NIL is nothing but pay for play.

vCash
    I can't imagine if it wasn't for Charlie what kind of shape we would be in. Cohen pretty much gave up on NIL after his idea and boy didn't work out. Our entire team would be in the portal right now except for a couple of guys.

vCash
    Is there some reason that most every player of note going in the portal is on the offensive side of the ball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Is there some reason that most every player of note going in the portal is on the offensive side of the ball?
    My opinion would be that "playmakers" tend to be Prima-Donna's. Defense is about the unit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Probably because we attract tougher players in defense because of our history and have to take chances on lazy players like RaRa and Heath on offense.

vCash
    I would love to know who got the legislation written that bans coaches from contributing to an NIL fund. They are the ones profiting the most off of the kids and they almost always leave for more money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDawg View Post
    My opinion would be that "playmakers" tend to be Prima-Donna's. Defense is about the unit.
    True. So far no olinemen have left

vCash
    Also having to ask individuals for scraps of money, when a school
    Like Georgia probably has Atlanta businesses (and hiding it on their financial as a fraudulent expense) give what 1000s of us will or could give.

vCash
    Charlie is a good Bulldog and doing what he can for us. It's 2022 college athletics.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    True. So far no olinemen have left
    We have had two OL, but they are backups, Buys and Carson.

vCash
    Posted here about my son and I seeing a "coach looking person" and "a player looking person" in a serious, lengthy discussion regarding "your NIL" while filling up with gas at a Starkville business the Wednesday night before the KY game. I bet this is a balancing act that never lets up anytime, anywhere.

vCash
    Has anyone heard a precise dollar amount we've raised and if that is annual or just this year?

I know folks are working hard on this, but even OM has raised (supposedly) at least 10 mil.

It's depressing to think we may be DOA on this, i.e., Vandy level bc we just don't have the ability to compete...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Also having to ask individuals for scraps of money, when a school
    Like Georgia probably has Atlanta businesses (and hiding it on their financial as a fraudulent expense) give what 1000s of us will or could give.
    Uga used a NIL based in florida to give nakobe deans mom a $275K non profit business

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Uga used a NIL based in florida to give nakobe deans mom a $275K non profit business
    And before NIL

vCash
    But yes, that's a good point on allocation of resources. Is that what happened in all this?

We took care of the defense and OL and then the offensive skill players wanted their funds? ...and then when they came asking the well was dry?

I have no idea. Just speculation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    But yes, that's a good point on allocation of resources. Is that what happened in all this?

We took care of the defense and OL and then the offensive skill players wanted their funds? ...and then when they came asking the well was dry?

I have no idea. Just speculation.
    Well isn't dry. Some players just think they are worth above what we see is their market value...offensive players were taken care of early on as well

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Bingo. But even then, the individual players have a right to make money in any capacity in which the legally can, just like any other citizen and/or student.

Seems like we need a large group of donors to sponsor one of 8 position groups.