Thread: Losing these guys to the portal

vCash

Losing these guys to the portal

It sucks man

It?s like dating a girl who wasn?t that cute then she hit a glow up and she leaves you for a giga chad daddy?s money rich guy.

vCash
    Let's not melt down before we have anything official. Right now all we have are rumors (some plausible, some less so) from the same people who have been pushing every anti-Leach rumor for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Let's not melt down before we have anything official. Right now all we have are rumors (some plausible, some less so) from the same people who have been pushing every anti-Leach rumor for years.
    This. No reason to hunt trouble as my grandfather used to say, lol.

vCash
    It sucks that a Big Daddy like LSU can come in and start poaching players. They get to evaluate these guys over a season or two then pounce. Total bullshit. It's a candy store now.

vCash
    Yeah, and think about how someone like USM feels. They’ll never have a player that finishes with them be NFL caliber. The few they have will be poached and finish elsewhere. They have zero chance.

vCash
    Well in moments like this, I'm glad we have a coach that has always won in difficult places to win and has done more with less... seems to me we have the right guy for todays environment... as Bum Phillips once said the true test of a coach is can he beat you his players or your players ... this too will settle down eventually....look at MLB baseball... the Yankees have had the best talent and have raided the free agent market and how many championships have they won in recent years ...meanwhile, the Astros continue to develop players and win championships.

vCash
    Have we yet to see a negative impact on the field? I feel like we've had more success than failure through the portal. It seems worse than it is so far bc you lose guys before you get new ones. When the results on the field start being impacted negatively I'll be more concerned. Right now we won 8 games with a good shot at 9.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    Well in moments like this, I'm glad we have a coach that has always won in difficult places to win and has done more with less... seems to me we have the right guy for todays environment... as Bum Phillips once said the true test of a coach is can he beat you his players or your players ... this too will settle down eventually....look at MLB baseball... the Yankees have had the best talent and have raided the free agent market and how many championships have they won in recent years ...meanwhile, the Astros continue to develop players and win championships.
    Whether it's leach or someone else, it is imperative we have a coach who can do more (win) with less. We have the smallest budget in the west.
    Weve been the worst recruiter in the west for 20 years.
    We have the smallest fanbase in the west.
    We have the poorest fanbase in the west.

We probably should never complain about finishing third in the west and tied for fifth in the sec. It's fine to want more though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Yeah, and think about how someone like USM feels. They’ll never have a player that finishes with them be NFL caliber. The few they have will be poached and finish elsewhere. They have zero chance.
    We also have diminished chance for some of the same reasons. If we have to exist by player loyalty, we might as well be USM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Whether it's leach or someone else, it is imperative we have a coach who can do more (win) with less. We have the smallest budget in the west.

We probably should never complain about finishing third in the west and tied for fifth in the sec. It's fine to want more though.
    We have a bigger fan base than Ole Miss

Our boosters do not value football as much as Ole Miss boosters do

Thats the difference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

I hear this crap over and over. You make it sound like all the graduates are garbage men. Just because we have had poor leadership and have made some terrible hires doesn't mean our fan base is broke. We have a lot of alumni with money. They just haven't been engaged. I feel like the top boosters are catered to but after that, nothing. The school is doing some stuff now too help with engagement but these other schools have been doing these things for years. That's why it's so important we get this AD hire right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post

Thats the difference
    This. Helps when you have a good team while in college but the staff now has to find ways to get our alumni engaged. Yes doctors and lawyers in this state likely went to ole miss. But you know what, more than you think went to state for undergrad which I guarantee you is where their commitment lies. We have a vet school, great engineering dept, etc. Our fans have money. Let's get an AD that can continue to help raise money and get the alumni involved. I've seen more of this since Cohen had left these past few months than the whole time he was AD.

vCash
    It sucks man

It?s like dating a girl who wasn?t that cute then she hit a glow up and she leaves you for a giga chad daddy?s money rich guy.
    I draw the analogy of.... your kids come to you. They say, "Dad, the family down the road has offered to buy me a car and they take better vacations. I'm moving out and in with them. Good bye."

Then the wife (AD) says, you should give our kids more money to stay. Hahahahaha. Then she (AD) leaves when the dad (school) down the road with money gets a divorce.

vCash

Thats the difference
    The two are comparable. Sixth and seventh in the west in some order.

vCash
    It sucks man

Pardon me stewardess, but could you translate that for those of us who don't speak jive?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Have we yet to see a negative impact on the field? I feel like we've had more success than failure through the portal. It seems worse than it is so far bc you lose guys before you get new ones. When the results on the field start being impacted negatively I'll be more concerned. Right now we won 8 games with a good shot at 9.
    Exactly. I think the portal has given us a better opportunity to compete as well as everyone else. Alabama can't take every player anymore.

vCash

Thats the difference
    Olemiss has old money, lawyers, and strangely obsessed fans/alumni. Their older alumni (that is who i am around) value their olemiss friends more than their non olemiss friends, making it one big sorority/fraternity. Olemiss and Oxford are sacred places to them and football seems to symbolize everything olemiss. Olemiss beating your team in football proves to the world that they are better than you in life. Therefore, many of them will go to irrational extremes and spend money they probably shouldn?t to achieve success in football.