Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So many QBs in the transfer portal?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I am normally a stats guy, but "Interceptable Balls" sounds really suspect. Unless you qualify that with something like "balls the defense had their hands on and couldn't catch" it seem very subjective.
    Sounds like something the Clarion Ledger would make up for a headline.
    I mean I didn’t just make it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    I mean I didn’t just make it up.
    I sure remember a bunch of passes hitting defenders in the hands and being amazed they weren't intercepted. Several should have been pick 6's.

vCash
    TCU runs the Air Raid. Its version showed what a mobile QB can turn it into. Plus Duggan's arm strength on those balls downfield impressed me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I sure remember a bunch of passes hitting defenders in the hands and being amazed they weren't intercepted. Several should have been pick 6's.
    I feel like he was subtly trying to call me an Ole Miss fan with the Clarion Ledger comment. That was only in SEC games as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    So you think we finish worse next year than we did this year? With an easier but no guarantee W of an eastern opponent and KY and OM at home?

How do you see us finishing worse?
    We likely start 3-3 with losses against LSU, at SC & Bama. LSU & SC will be better, Bama may not, but it?s Bama.

Followed by:
    @Arkansas. Likely better, especially if KJ returns. Fayetteville is always tough.
    @Auburn. Will be much better. In case you forgot it took OT to beat coach Cadillac.
    Kentucky. I?ll give us a win here with it being at home & Levis leaving.
    @A&M. Should be better. A lot of young talent, more coming in, looks like they have found a QB.
    USM. Win
    Egg Bowl. Anything can happen.

So we are 3-3. Wins against KY and USM, 5-3. Then it comes down to how many can you win out of @Ark, @Aub, @A&M and OM.

With our limitations at QB, I just don?t see us winning more than two of those, and that may be wishful thinking, could easily go 0-4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamDawg View Post
    We likely start 3-3 with losses against LSU, at SC & Bama. LSU & SC will be better, Bama may not, but it?s Bama.

Followed by:
    @Arkansas. Likely better, especially if KJ returns. Fayetteville is always tough.
    @Auburn. Will be much better. In case you forgot it took OT to beat coach Cadillac.
    Kentucky. I?ll give us a win here with it being at home & Levis leaving.
    @A&M. Should be better. A lot of young talent, more coming in, looks like they have found a QB.
    USM. Win
    Egg Bowl. Anything can happen.

So we are 3-3. Wins against KY and USM, 5-3. Then it comes down to how many can you win out of @Ark, @Aub, @A&M and OM.

With our limitations at QB, I just don?t see us winning more than two of those, and that may be wishful thinking, could easily go 0-4.
    Next year should has all the makings of disaster or a great season. It all hinges on QB play. Whether that’s Will or a portal QB. Right now, I have 0 faith Will is going to lead us a to a great season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I don't know why people keep getting excited about this. No way a starter anywhere else comes here due to Will. My biggest fear next year is if Will gets hurt. We got nothing ready behind him and this offense hinges on the QB playing with few mistakes.
    Pay them. They will come.

vCash
    Yes!

vCash
    I?d at least call Drake Maye. All he can say is no!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    I?d at least call Drake Maye. All he can say is no!
    Are you serious?? You forgot these**** his parents went to unc. If he leaves there it's to go to a blue blood and win a championship. There is zero chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Are you serious?? You forgot these**** his parents went to unc. If he leaves there it's to go to a blue blood and win a championship. There is zero chance.
    There may be as much daydreaming on this thread as I have ever seen on this board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Pay them. They will come.
    No. You could offer $1M and ain't nobody good coming here to be a backup next year. Leach even says it takes a year to learn this system minimum. Some of you have forgotten the mighty transfer from Stanford we had a few years ago and how that worked out. And that kid could sling it.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    No. You could offer $1M and ain't nobody good coming here to be a backup next year. Leach even says it takes a year to learn this system minimum. Some of you have forgotten the mighty transfer from Stanford we had a few years ago and how that worked out. And that kid could sling it.
    Yea. I bet Mike Leach is super upset that he took transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew. How long was he in the system before he gave Mike arguably his best team ever? You are probably right though. I mean since one transfer quarterback did not work out then we should definitely never try that again. I mean on that note, we should probably stop signing juco players and high school quarterbacks as well, because we have signed about 50 of those in the past decade that did not work out.
    Last edited by Jarius; 12-06-2022 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Yea. I bet Mike Leach is super upset that he took transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew. How long was he in the system before he gave Mike arguably his best team ever? You are probably right though. I mean since one transfer quarterback did not work out then we should definitely never try that again. I mean on that note, we should probably stop signing juco players and high school quarterbacks as well, because we have signed about 50 of those in the past decade that did not work out.
    I'm not against taking a high end transfer. I would love it and I would support it. But it ain't gonna happen with us having a 3 year starter coming back.

And I'm not convinced that Gardner Minshew would have done anything in this league. This is a different world for Leach (talking OC not HC). So far he has had some decent QB talent since he has been here and will is the only one that could halfway run it against decent teams. I'm of the opinion there is a common denominator and it ain't the QB talent.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I'm not against taking a high end transfer. I would love it and I would support it. But it ain't gonna happen with us having a 3 year starter coming back.

And I'm not convinced that Gardner Minshew would have done anything in this league. This is a different world for Leach (talking OC not HC). So far he has had some decent QB talent since he has been here and will is the only one that could halfway run it against decent teams. I'm of the opinion there is a common denominator and it ain't the QB talent.
    Will has not run it halfway decent against decent teams. He has run it very well against extremely mediocre teams and he has run it about as poorly as humanly possible against any competent defense we have faced. He was awful in 6 of 8 conference games this year. He was bad enough that if he was playing football at a school that was serious about football they would tell him that it would be in his best interest to hit the transfer portal because that level of play would not be considered acceptable and they would not want anything hindering them from getting a higher level transfer quarterback. We have a lot of really good pieces coming back next year and our Vegas win total is going to be 7 or 7.5 because of our quarterback. We literally have SEC shorts making fun of our team being a quarterback away from being able to compete. Everyone outside a few in our fanbase can see the issue. The risk of not making the Music city bowl next year and flopping is worth it to try and get a qb with a little mobility that isn’t scared to death when the pocket breaks down. Maybe we would be worse. Maybe not. It’s better than not even trying to capitalize on a good schedule with a lot of returning starters because your qb puts a governor on your entire offense against anyone with a competent defense.
    Last edited by Jarius; 12-06-2022 at 12:47 AM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Not to mention, he was playing with second/third strings across the board. I am telling you, we should have given Sawyer that entire dang game. Road our running game and let him make some throws. We still would have won, but you would get Sawyer literally 3 backup seasons worth of snaps at one time.

Dude literally threw more TDs in one state championship game, than Will could ever dream of in a nonconference high school tune up game. The kid can play football, he just needs meaningful snaps and practice time that means something.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Will has not run it halfway decent against decent teams. He has run it very well against extremely mediocre teams and he has run it about as poorly as humanly possible against any competent defense we have faced. He was awful in 6 of 8 conference games this year. He was bad enough that if he was playing football at a school that was serious about football they would tell him that it would be in his best interest to hit the transfer portal because that level of play would not be considered acceptable and they would not want anything hindering them from getting a higher level transfer quarterback. We have a lot of really good pieces coming back next year and our Vegas win total is going to be 7 or 7.5 because of our quarterback. We literally have SEC shorts making fun of our team being a quarterback away from being able to compete. Everyone outside a few in our fanbase can see the issue. The risk of not making the Music city bowl next year and flopping is worth it to try and get a qb with a little mobility that isn’t scared to death when the pocket breaks down. Maybe we would be worse. Maybe not. It’s better than not even trying to capitalize on a good schedule with a lot of returning starters because your qb puts a governor on your entire offense against anyone with a competent defense.
    Bingo. We could win 7 next year with our walk on qb.

vCash
    And I'm not convinced that Gardner Minshew would have done anything in this league.
    You?re not convinced a guy who started in the NFL could?ve done anything in the SEC?

I know the SEC is good, but damn son.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post
    You?re not convinced a guy who started in the NFL could?ve done anything in the SEC?

I know the SEC is good, but damn son.
    Kellen Moore started in the NFL and he is the equivalent to Will Rogers now., and they both will end up doing the same thing for a living.

vCash
    Will has not run it halfway decent against decent teams. He has run it very well against extremely mediocre teams and he has run it about as poorly as humanly possible against any competent defense we have faced. He was awful in 6 of 8 conference games this year. He was bad enough that if he was playing football at a school that was serious about football they would tell him that it would be in his best interest to hit the transfer portal because that level of play would not be considered acceptable and they would not want anything hindering them from getting a higher level transfer quarterback. We have a lot of really good pieces coming back next year and our Vegas win total is going to be 7 or 7.5 because of our quarterback. We literally have SEC shorts making fun of our team being a quarterback away from being able to compete. Everyone outside a few in our fanbase can see the issue. The risk of not making the Music city bowl next year and flopping is worth it to try and get a qb with a little mobility that isn?t scared to death when the pocket breaks down. Maybe we would be worse. Maybe not. It?s better than not even trying to capitalize on a good schedule with a lot of returning starters because your qb puts a governor on your entire offense against anyone with a competent defense.
    I literally just told you I would love it if we got a really good qb transfer. Nobody on here outside of Bucky wouldn't be excited. I hope Parson comes in here and takes the job even. I realize Will is not built to be a running threat in this league and he doesn't use his legs at all. But don't exaggerate it - my Arkansas and Texas A&M neighbors all look forward to the day he graduates as they did Fitz. So it aint everybody outside our fanbase.
    What I'm trying to tell you is that it is as much on our offensive coordinator as it is on our QB. The OC is blaming receivers after every game and you don't see him throwing will under the bus. The OC needs to make some adjustments to take some of the responsibility off the QB (we need to truly establish a run game). We need a good TE worst than we need a new QB in my opinion.