Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimedog to Cooperstown

vCash

Crimedog to Cooperstown

Elected by the Contemporary Committee, whatever the hell that is. But who cares he is in.

vCash
    I'm not a Braves fan but good grief- how is Dale Murphy not in? Ridiculous
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Wonderful news!

vCash
    I thought you were talking about the career Asst, FB Coach from OM and AU.** Now remember, Fred McGriff.

vCash
    Cooperstown sucks! Self-righteous bastards won't put the best players in.

vCash
    Love it. Was always one of my Brave favorites.

Will also never forget the day he was on the way to the Braves having been acquired from the Padres. That was the day the Braves press box caught on fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm not a Braves fan but good grief- how is Dale Murphy not in? Ridiculous
    Preach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Cooperstown sucks! Self-righteous bastards won't put the best players in.
    Really is crazy that they turn the voting over to a bunch of self important nobodies that get their rocks off on having control over players that actually did things with their career.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Use to love mimicking McGriffs swing with the over-head wrap around finish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Really is crazy that they turn the voting over to a bunch of self important nobodies that get their rocks off on having control over players that actually did things with their career.
    You do realize that this selection committee was mostly HOF players, coaches, and front office people. Only 2 sport writers were involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/12/03/hall-fame-veterans-committee-voting-contemporary-baseball-ballot/10819344002/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You do realize that this selection committee was mostly HOF players, coaches, and front office people. Only 2 sport writers were involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/10819344002/
    Including Greg Maddux.

vCash
    McGriff getting in is good news for Will Clark IMO.

Clark has a higher WAR and similar or better career accomplishments over a career that lasted four fewer seasons.

I really think we're going to see Clark get some support in the coming years.

vCash

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/10819344002/
    You realize that's the veterans committee (or era committee now or whatever they're called)? Not positive, but I think they can only vote on players that have been passed over by BBWAA for 15 years.

vCash
    I couldn't care less about the HOF until they put Andruw Jones in it

vCash
    Well deserved and I’m happy he’s in. He’s basically the exact opposite of a bonds or sosa and still put up elite of elite numbers.

Watching the highlights of his jays/padres/Braves days makes me miss those days of the MLB. Tough hard nose fun to watch baseball.

On a slight topic change: A lot of great black American baseball players back then as well. Just on the 93 Braves you had mcgriff, gant, justice, Pendleton, hunter, freeman, sanders, Nixon. I might have a hard time naming that many black American players in the whole league today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not a hall of famer
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You realize that's the veterans committee (or era committee now or whatever they're called)? Not positive, but I think they can only vote on players that have been passed over by BBWAA for 15 years.
    Right, which is how McGriff was considered. This was not the annual vote of the BBWAA, who ARE a bunch of hacks with agendas to grind.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Jones is a conundrum. I loved him. My Dad couldn't stand him. I think he got a bad rap because he made playing CF look SO easy that he looked lazy. That sounds weird but its the best way I could describe it.
    But, from a stat view, he is similar to Murph, but also similar to Duke Snider and Gil Hodges. Which is one way of saying that the only way a Jones would be considered seriously would have been if he played his whole career in NY.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Not a hall of famer
    Best defensive cf of my lifetime.

67.0 fWAR
    62.7 bWAR

vCash
    Jones is a conundrum. I loved him. My Dad couldn't stand him. I think he got a bad rap because he made playing CF look SO easy that he looked lazy. That sounds weird but its the best way I could describe it.
    But, from a stat view, he is similar to Murph, but also similar to Duke Snider and Gil Hodges. Which is one way of saying that the only way a Jones would be considered seriously would have been if he played his whole career in NY.
    My absolute favorite brave of all time. He made watching defense fun