Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: This is for all you Leach haters.........

vCash
    Why does someone that points out that our offense has been carried by our defense this past year a Leach hater?

I think the offense could be much better, but Leach won't change so we may be stuck with it. That doesn't mean I hate Leach.

I think Leach is great, his offense? Not so much.

That said, he just beat the bears so I'm not going to bitch for a while.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I think most folks in this thread are like me: I like the program Leach runs. Toughness. Accountability. But it?s frustrating watching his coaching disciples make adjustments and have success and he won?t. However, based on the QB coming in Parson and the offer to Trey Petty, it looks like he realizes he has to adjust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I think most folks in this thread are like me: I like the program Leach runs. Toughness. Accountability. But it?s frustrating watching his coaching disciples make adjustments and have success and he won?t. However, based on the QB coming in Parson and the offer to Trey Petty, it looks like he realizes he has to adjust.
    In his defense, his offense probably hasn't performed this poorly 3 years in, so maybe he'll do some introspection

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Sherman you nailed it. Tweak and win and we all happy. Stop being stuck in 1995.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Why does someone that points out that our offense has been carried by our defense this past year a Leach hater?

I think the offense could be much better, but Leach won't change so we may be stuck with it. That doesn't mean I hate Leach.

I think Leach is great, his offense? Not so much.

That said, he just beat the bears so I'm not going to bitch for a while.
    It’s extremely frustrating that we have fans that think constructive criticism means you hate the coach or the player. It’s a message board for goodness sakes. What else are we supposed to but discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly? It’s not our fault our offense has been ugly in half our games this year.

vCash
    If we had a QB better than Rogers, Leach would play him. No different than a DE, the best man starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    If we had a QB better than Rogers, Leach would play him. No different than a DE, the best man starts.
    Uhhhh yeahhhhh....that's our problem
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    It's a catch 22 - and not uncommon when you are building a program or making big fundamental shift in offense. We saw this same scenario play out with Tyler Russell. Good QB, record breaking QB, but not what we really needed, the offense tended to stagnate because of it, and his replacement just wasn't quite ready to replace him yet. It means you lose some games you shouldn't, and you arent really running on all cylinders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's a catch 22 - and not uncommon when you are building a program or making big fundamental shift in offense. We saw this same scenario play out with Tyler Russell. Good QB, record breaking QB, but not what we really needed, the offense tended to stagnate because of it, and his replacement just wasn't quite ready to replace him yet. It means you lose some games you shouldn't, and you arent really running on all cylinders.
    I like the analogy and its a good one. The problem is that we dont have a Dak working to take over. Parson will rot on the bench next season while Rogers throws checkdown after checkdown
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I like the analogy and it's a good one. The problem is that we dont have a Dak working to take over. Parson will rot on the bench next season while Rogers throws checkdown after checkdown
    Dak wasn't really ready in 2012 - but he was forced into playing. I don't wish injury on anyone, but sometimes players step into an opportunity and everything comes together. You never know - Will gets dinged and Robertson, Locke, or Parson might have to grow up fast. And sometimes that's all it takes.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I like the analogy and its a good one. The problem is that we dont have a Dak working to take over. Parson will rot on the bench next season while Rogers throws checkdown after checkdown
    The portal would be a perfect place to remedy that situation, but no one wants to hurt feelings and everyone knows that going 7-5 will keep their job so no need to rock the boat and shoot for the stars when we have 8 guys on defense returning that are as old as BYU seniors along with returning nearly the entire offense. When NFL teams are really good on defense and struggling at the quarterback position, they either draft someone or get another guy through free agency and put the other guy on the bench or release him. The portal is nothing but free agency. If we can’t improve our quarterback room because people are scared to compete with what we have then remove the obstacle. God forbid we miss out on the music city bowl next year if it doesn’t work out.
    Last edited by Jarius; 12-05-2022 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    Everyone keeps saying just go get a plug and play QB from the portal. Seems like Leach tried something similar with Costello. How'd that work out? Everyone on here was trashing Joe Burrow his 1st year at LSU. How'd that work out in his 2nd year at LSU?

I don't think it's quite as easy as everyone wants to make it out to be for next year. While Leach's offense is somewhat simple, there's a lot of onus on the QB to make the right reads and be on same page as the rest of the offense, especially the receivers.

Maybe one of our current QBs will be ready towards end of next year or the following year. All we have on this board near as I can tell, is a lot of hearsay about how no one is close to ready to sub for Will. Not sure we have definite knowledge of that one way or the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Everyone keeps saying just go get a plug and play QB from the portal. Seems like Leach tried something similar with Costello. How'd that work out? Everyone on here was trashing Joe Burrow his 1st year at LSU. How'd that work out in his 2nd year at LSU?

I don't think it's quite as easy as everyone wants to make it out to be for next year. While Leach's offense is somewhat simple, there's a lot of onus on the QB to make the right reads and be on same page as the rest of the offense, especially the receivers.

Maybe one of our current QBs will be ready towards end of next year or the following year. All we have on this board near as I can tell, is a lot of hearsay about how no one is close to ready to sub for Will. Not sure we have definite knowledge of that one way or the other.
    LSU changed the offense drastically burrow's 2nd year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    True but Burrow also became acclimated to playing in SEC his 1st year. The overall learning curve wasn't as steep. Plus, Leach's offense is pretty unique with amount of latitude he expects the QB to exercise at LOS.

ETA: I would love to have a more mobile and skilled QB than we have, but there is more in that decision making process than "just grab a QB from the portal".
    Last edited by dawgday166; 12-06-2022 at 12:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I see Will more like Chris Relf Dan's first three years. Will fits the offense and can win games but he also has limitations.

Under Dan with Relf I think we averaged like 25 to 29 PPG and then that jumped up once Dak took over after Dan had been here a few years into like 33-36 PPG his junior and senior years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post

You're right it's easier said than done.

First of all we would have to find someone legitimately better than Will that isn't afraid to compete with him and win the job. Which eliminates about 99% of the portal because the majority of those QB's are leaving because they can't start where they're at or they're FCS guys that are just looking for a shot.

If we get someone as good or better than Jack Abraham we should be happy.

The portal has given some of our fans this false hope that we're going to land Patrick Mahomes 2.0.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah well Burrow made some ridiculous plays that most can't that year. No one calls a play where you tell Burrow to run around like crazy and then gun it down field 40 yards for a strike. For most people that's a sack, an incompletion, or an interception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah well Burrow made some ridiculous plays that most can't that year. No one calls a play where you tell Burrow to run around like crazy and then gun it down field 40 yards for a strike. For most people that's a sack, an incompletion, or an interception.
    I'm amazed how good Burrows has gotten. After that first year at Lsu it was like a light came on and ever since he gets better. One of the top QB's in NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm amazed how good Burrows has gotten. After that first year at Lsu it was like a light came on and ever since he gets better. One of the top QB's in NFL.
    Yeah he is incredible. He looks like someone created him in a video game and set the level as high as possible.

vCash
    Leach will have us as a consistent 7-9 win team in the current state of things

If Will Rogers is the starter next year the ceiling is 9-3

I would love to go and get spencer sanders from the tranfser portal who has been a 4 year starter at Oklahoma State and I believe he is exactly what this offense needs.

Strong Arm, Great footwork, Great Mobility, has the ability to add a whole new dimension to this offense

I think he could be our Gardner Minshew.

But with things the way they are it doesnt matter if Nick Saban is our coach

If the portal and NIL does not get fixed , we will be capped out at around the 8 or 9 win mark because every single year we are going to get our top players poached by programs that care more about football than we do

Example : Rara, a program like LSU would never let that guy walk no matter the money because they have endless money

We dont, It was a stupid Idea to allow 2 sec schools in the poorest state in America with another quality G5 program and Jackson state taking up some of the non bandwagon fanbases

Half of East Mississippi is Alabama fans

Half of south mississippi are LSU fans

We have to get our money up and I have joined the initiative

The NCAA or SEC is going to have to step in and do something about this , I think NIL is fine but the transfer portal is just absolutely ridiculous

I dont know how to fix it but I dont get paid the Big Dollars to do such thing

Hail State