Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Basketball success/fan support

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,180
    vCash
    3000

    Basketball success/fan support

    Mstate7dawg mentioned it in another thread but I wanted to start it's own thread, Utah just beat #4 Arizona 81-66 and led the game from start to finish with big leads the entire game.

    Two nights before Marquette destroyed #6 Baylor 96-70.. Marquette and Utah are both top 15-20 teams. We beat both and held them to under 55 points. When are we genuinely going to start supporting our basketball program? I'm sure Saturdays game will still look the way it always has as far as attendance. Most games I watch on the ESPN, the crowd is rocking giving that college basketball atmosphere at other schools no matter the opponent.. we have to create that and really get behind this team!! Im sure there will be some bad games and losses but that doesn't mean we give up on them. I'm just tired of seeing so much talk about other topics that dont pertain to our program when we have an undefeated team playing their butts off with good potential right on campus but people prefer to discuss other irrelevant topics more. The players and coaches notice, trust me. Tolu Smith even urged more fan support on his Twitter account a few times.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    583
    vCash
    3100
    Great post. Did not realize Utah upset Arizona.
    It is something to see these other games on TV and see their fan support.
    Our team is fun to watch on defense!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,121
    vCash
    2610
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Mstate7dawg mentioned it in another thread but I wanted to start it's own thread, Utah just beat #4 Arizona 81-66 and led the game from start to finish with big leads the entire game.

    Two nights before Marquette destroyed #6 Baylor 96-70.. Marquette and Utah are both top 15-20 teams. We beat both and held them to under 55 points. When are we genuinely going to start supporting our basketball program? I'm sure Saturdays game will still look the way it always has as far as attendance. Most games I watch on the ESPN, the crowd is rocking giving that college basketball atmosphere at other schools no matter the opponent.. we have to create that and really get behind this team!! Im sure there will be some bad games and losses but that doesn't mean we give up on them. I'm just tired of seeing so much talk about other topics that dont pertain to our program when we have an undefeated team playing their butts off with good potential right on campus but people prefer to discuss other irrelevant topics more. The players and coaches notice, trust me. Tolu Smith even urged more fan support on his Twitter account a few times.
    Our fans are patiently awaiting our first loss so they can post "I gave it a shot but they are the same old Bulldogs"

    In all seriousness though the AD needs to address this if we want to keep Jans. Guessing a change in seating is in order.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    14,892
    vCash
    1886332
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Our fans are patiently awaiting our first loss so they can post "I gave it a shot but they are the same old Bulldogs"

    In all seriousness though the AD needs to address this if we want to keep Jans. Guessing a change in seating is in order.
    Did you see where the students were located at the Duke and Indiana games? The both surrounded the lower level. And their sections were full as well. We need to do that.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Maroonthirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,608
    vCash
    4388
    I'm not sure what is up with the MSU fans. I wonder if States hardcore fans are getting older and there just isn't that many younger hardcore fans to replace them. Or maybe more younger and older fans just chose to watch on all things MSU on TV. I draw these conclusions based on both football and basketball attendance.

    With that said, football is concerning more than basketball. December there is fatigue from football, hunting season, Christmas shopping and quite frankly basketball is STates 3rd sport in order of importance. Mix in this season, an odd under construction Hump. Not good. Btw, Cohen and whomever really screwed up renovating the hump. You want to generate excitement build a new place.

    However you are right. This team deserves some support.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BiscuitEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Did you see where the students were located at the Duke and Indiana games? The both surrounded the lower level. And their sections were full as well. We need to do that.
    Ever even been to Cameron Indoor? Every seat is 'lower level!'

    Cameron Indoor Stadium is an indoor arena located on the campus of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. The 9,314-seat facility is the primary indoor athletic venue for the Duke Blue Devils and serves as the home court for Duke men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,180
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Our fans are patiently awaiting our first loss so they can post "I gave it a shot but they are the same old Bulldogs"

    In all seriousness though the AD needs to address this if we want to keep Jans. Guessing a change in seating is in order.
    Exactly! and alot of them used to say. 'If they start winning again fans will show up'. We have a good coach and program, teams will be coming after Jans soon if he continues this level of winning. We need to get out and support as much as we can while we have him or he may be gone.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,180
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I'm not sure what is up with the MSU fans. I wonder if States hardcore fans are getting older and there just isn't that many younger hardcore fans to replace them. Or maybe more younger and older fans just chose to watch on all things MSU on TV. I draw these conclusions based on both football and basketball attendance.

    With that said, football is concerning more than basketball. December there is fatigue from football, hunting season, Christmas shopping and quite frankly basketball is STates 3rd sport in order of importance. Mix in this season, an odd under construction Hump. Not good. Btw, Cohen and whomever really screwed up renovating the hump. You want to generate excitement build a new place.

    However you are right. This team deserves some support.
    True, but how hard is it to pack a basketball stadium? There is no reason the Hump shouldn't be mostly full for most games, especially with a soon to be ranked team. There was a time the Hump was one of the loudest arenas in the SEC, Joahkim Noah of Florida talked about it before.

  9. #9
    Banned Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    27,418
    vCash
    17200
    Our campus is located in a low population area of Mississippi and now games are all on TV. People no longer have to drive 2 hours to watch us play. Attendance wont ever be again what it used to be

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    646
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    True, but how hard is it to pack a basketball stadium? There is no reason the Hump shouldn't be mostly full for most games, especially with a soon to be ranked team. There was a time the Hump was one of the loudest arenas in the SEC, Joahkim Noah of Florida talked about it before.
    As it has been stated many times before, the problem is we have many many ticket holders in lower section who have no interest in attending and won't attend regardless of how good the team gets. They only have tickets to improve their BC ranking. They also won't make any effort in giving those tickets away when the conference matchups start. Hell, half of them probably forget they have season tickets.

    We kicked out the people who wanted to show up and gave their seats to the ones who don't care, all for the sake of a few dollars. Which doesn't really matter these days with all the SEC money we collect. So if it were me, I'd just go ahead and risk pissing off the donors who never show up and go back to first come/first serve. Open the whole thing back up.

  11. #11
    Senior Member msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67,798
    vCash
    10439
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    As it has been stated many times before, the problem is we have many many ticket holders in lower section who have no interest in attending and won't attend regardless of how good the team gets. They only have tickets to improve their BC ranking. They also won't make any effort in giving those tickets away when the conference matchups start. Hell, half of them probably forget they have season tickets.

    We kicked out the people who wanted to show up and gave their seats to the ones who don't care, all for the sake of a few dollars. Which doesn't really matter these days with all the SEC money we collect. So if it were me, I'd just go ahead and risk pissing off the donors who never show up and go back to first come/first serve. Open the whole thing back up.
    Then make it worth more points when your tickets are scanned for 75% of games.

    ETA... if your tix aren't punched at least 50% of time, make it to where someone else can buy them. This would be tricky though... you don't wanna piss off the ones that invest in the program.
    Last edited by msstate7; 12-02-2022 at 09:46 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    646
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Then make it worth more points when your tickets are scanned for 75% of games
    Yeah something like that too. Definitely needs to be some sort of accountability or rewards program though

  13. #13
    Senior Member msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67,798
    vCash
    10439
    Maybe send emails to 1 week prior to games and ask holder if they will attend. If not, allow ticket office to resell... ticket holder would get a percentage of their money back for each ticket resold applied to the next renewal

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    19,758
    vCash
    3100
    Attendance will pick up after Christmas.

    If you want to know what destroyed the hardcore support that was there through thick and thin, even this time of year, a lot of those LOCAL people were kicked out of their seats when Byrne decided to reseat the Hump. A lot of them never came back, and what's more, it broke the chain in the LOCAL families that had always gone to basketball games.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BulldogDX55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,998
    vCash
    2615
    Even when we were competent at Basketball prior to the Renardo Stansbury collapse, pre conference games were never closed to sold out. I know this because that's when I was as student. Howland had us on the edge of relevance a few times during his tenure but the moment there were expectations the team lost a critical game, killing all momentum.

    We will have a massive attendance increase for Bama, and if we pull that one out OR just play very well and keep it close, the January conference games are gonna pop off.

    That said, sell outs will still be hard to come by because of the location of our school and because of everything being televised.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

  16. #16
    Senior Member shoeless joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,598
    vCash
    3129
    Nothing was more fun than a packed house at the hump. From the bowers/Robert’s era thru Rhodes/gordon. It was absolute fun and excitement. Of course that was when football was terrible and the students all sat together with half of the section having good seats.

    Plus the chicken toss…

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    317
    vCash
    2741
    Winning = Fan support. Keep winning and people will show up. No the Hump won't immediately be packed, but it will happen if a good product is continuously put on the court. The past decade of men's basketball in the hump has created an apathetic appetite for attendance. Fans want to see that their time and money is well spent if they are going to commit to being at the game. Every time Howland started to have buy in he would have losses that killed any fan support. The same will be true for Jans, he's going to have to continue to win games and not have head scratching losses time and time again (no this doesn't mean he has to go undefeated).

    Secondly, look at our home schedule so far. All of our exciting match ups have been away games. Your average fan isn't going to drive more than 10 minutes to watch us play Texas A&M Corpus Christi or Mississippi Valley State. Attendance will pick up come SEC play, especially if we are winning and especially if there is something to play for such as a tournament birth. Both of those things add excitement which draws fans.

    As for the hump needing a seating reassignment, I can get on board with that, but even that doesn't matter if you don't put a winning team on the floor. Keep winning and the rest of the problems will start to solve themselves.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    790
    vCash
    3187
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    Even when we were competent at Basketball prior to the Renardo Stansbury collapse, pre conference games were never closed to sold out. I know this because that's when I was as student. Howland had us on the edge of relevance a few times during his tenure but the moment there were expectations the team lost a critical game, killing all momentum.

    We will have a massive attendance increase for Bama, and if we pull that one out OR just play very well and keep it close, the January conference games are gonna pop off.

    That said, sell outs will still be hard to come by because of the location of our school and because of everything being televised.
    For me, the combination of WOKE, not really being Student-Athletes and NIL, I have lost a fair amount of interest. College sports used to be fun because they were amateurs and they played, for the most part, for the fun of it and to get an education. They were paid with scholarships for a free education. Not so much anymore. Players are there for the NIL money and for the most part they are not students and because they are gunning for a shot at going pro. They shop for the coach that will get them there and not for the school and the education they are getting. To me the atmosphere is different and not in a good way! I never though I would Wayne on my love for college sports but here I am - an old grumpy man!

    Another reason is like someone else said win a previous post, I'm in my mid 60s and unfortunately slowing down. A 2+ hour drive to Starkville, 2/3 hour game and then a 2+ hour drive back home is tough. I need a nap in there somewhere?

    Maybe the university can build a nap room for us older folks and/or maybe offer a geriatrics bus ride to and from the game!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    1,654
    vCash
    3000
    I know I’m not a southerner, but I hate how a lot of our fan base puts hunting before sports. I know hunting is big in the South, but I feel like our alum/students love to make it more a priority. Rant over LOL

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,752
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I know I?m not a southerner, but I hate how a lot of our fan base puts hunting before sports. I know hunting is big in the South, but I feel like our alum/students love to make it more a priority. Rant over LOL
    I grew up in a hunting family, (quail), but hated it (cold, get up too early, too much walking, get hungry, bad shot). Don't know if season overlapped but we never missed a FB game for it and have had season tickets since the 60's. Deer hunters I know are hardcore. My son and I have been to every home basketball game to date, but the home schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I can see why many people would have many different entertainment choices for their time and $ than go watch us play a SWAC team or someone that they have never heard of. I think things and attendance will pick up with SEC play and winning our share. This team plays hard, is fun to watch, and I think they will continue to improve. They have a good shot to enter SEC play 12-0, but some of the OOC home games are unknown cupcakes that will in fact hurt the RPI. I do think we will make the tourney. Be there and support this team as you can. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 12-02-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.