Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Portal Thread...

vCash
    Ketron Jackson from Arky has entered

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    And he's terrible...
    Everyone was expecting a bigger, faster, stronger version of Tua. He had huge expectations. 24/7 had him rated 1.000 and he had a .995 composite. Anything short of Trevor Lawrence and he was going to be a bust.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Would rather go with Oregon or OU back up mobile qbs. Give them a chance and have a solid slightly older mobile back up rather than waiting 2-3 years d for parsons.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Well if you have a route beyond 14 yards, then you basically knew there was a slim chance the ball was going to come to you. I can count on one hand how many 30 yards through the air passes I even saw us attempt all season. Way less than 1 per game.

vCash
    I hear there ate over 700 players in the portal and have no idea what the list looks like but, looking at Tulu's Twitter page there are several Alabama OL's in there and the LB Borders from FL looks interesting. It's crazy the amount of high recruited guys that are in there..

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    I hear there ate over 700 players in the portal and have no idea what the list looks like but, looking at Tulu's Twitter page there are several Alabama OL's in there and the LB Borders from FL looks interesting. It's crazy the amount of high recruited guys that are in there..
    Yep. The days of coaches being able to lie in recruiting and hold players hostage are over. It's the best thing for parity in the sport that has ever happened. It feels gross because there is zero loyalty, but it's going to prevent the blue bloods from hoarding players just so no one else can have any. This has been the most competitive year of CFB that I can ever remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Yep. The days of coaches being able to lie in recruiting and hold players hostage are over. It's the best thing for parity in the sport that has ever happened. It feels gross because there is zero loyalty, but it's going to prevent the blue bloods from hoarding players just so no one else can have any. This has been the most competitive year of CFB that I can ever remember.
    There's some of that, but that's not the whole story. Not even close. There are also plenty of entitled kids who have been told they were going to be an NFL star since they were 5 years old who now have an outlet to cut and run at the first sign of adversity. Then there's the vast majority (the somewhere in between). Just like pretty much every situation in the world. Most people want to talk about one of the extreme ends, and there's a million people who want to counter with the other extreme end. 99%+ of the time, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but that's the least interesting part to talk about, I guess.

vCash
    I guess by next season we can stop learning the players names. It won't matter because it'll be a new team every season. No way this is going to be good for the MSU's of the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    No way this is going to be good for the MSU's of the world.
    Nope. It won't. Except possibly in baseball, which is fine.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    There's some of that, but that's not the whole story. Not even close. There are also plenty of entitled kids who have been told they were going to be an NFL star since they were 5 years old who now have an outlet to cut and run at the first sign of adversity. Then there's the vast majority (the somewhere in between). Just like pretty much every situation in the world. Most people want to talk about one of the extreme ends, and there's a million people who want to counter with the other extreme end. 99%+ of the time, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but that's the least interesting part to talk about, I guess.
    Oh you are 100 % correct, but for the parity of the sport (which has been severely lacking because of the Georgia's and Alabama's and Ohio State's and LSU's and etc.), it puts an end to recruit hoarding. They are still going to get the best guys on the front end, but none of these guys are going to wait 3 years to play any more when they were elite HS prospects. That's good for schools like us.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I guess by next season we can stop learning the players names. It won't matter because it'll be a new team every season. No way this is going to be good for the MSU's of the world.
    This is the best thing that has ever happened to the MSU's of the world for parity. We have improved because of the transfer portal every single year since the immediate transfer was approved and will continue to do so. We will lose a couple, but gain many more than we lose. Ole Miss literally built an entire team on the portal last year. It's an immediate equalizer because kids know they can only transfer once and they aren't transferring to sit on the bench at some school that has a bunch of 5 stars at their position.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    And Saban once again is removed from his best coaching skill, being able to hold 85 of the best college athletes at one time. Worked for him at LSU. Worked for him at Bama. Absolutely exposed him in the NFL, when he can only have one first round draft pick each year.

From a coaching standpoint, he kind of sucks.
    Downvotes_Hype

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    And Saban once again is removed from his best coaching skill, being able to hold 85 of the best college athletes at one time. Worked for him at LSU. Worked for him at Bama. Absolutely exposed him in the NFL, when he can only have one first round draft pick each year.

From a coaching standpoint, he kind of sucks.
    The transfer portal is going to run him out of coaching. He can't hoard everyone. He's going to continue to win at a large level, but the days of him being dominant and everyone fearing him are over. The talent is being spread out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    About half or less of these "student athletes" have failed to land anywhere since the portal system began. Wonder when this will be addressed if ever?

vCash
    We had one of the lowest drop rates in the country and we had one of the highest graded olines in the country. If you didn’t see a major problem with the way our quarterback played in about 6 SEC games, then it’s probably because you are related to him. He was awful against literally every defense worth a shit. Anyone that thinks our quarterback wasn’t the overwhelming reason why we struggled against SEC defenses should not even be argued with and quite frankly I’m going to not respond to you on this subject any more because our quarterback is so bad against decent defenses that I don’t have the Will power to not call you something inappropriate for defending his on the field play. Rara is about to be on a national title team and if Will Rogers went to the portal he would be playing for the sunbelt championship next year.
    Again the entire coaching staff and team would disagree with you. Call them names. Not me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Man can you be on Will's dick any more than you are right now? Shit's weird. Makes me wonder how you spend a lot of your free time........
    I dont think saying a kid is not God awful like a lot of you genius folks are means im on a dick.

vCash
    Oh you are 100 % correct, but for the parity of the sport (which has been severely lacking because of the Georgia's and Alabama's and Ohio State's and LSU's and etc.), it puts an end to recruit hoarding. They are still going to get the best guys on the front end, but none of these guys are going to wait 3 years to play any more when they were elite HS prospects. That's good for schools like us.
    We'll see. There may be a bit more parity, but I'm not sure it benefits middle of the P5 programs like us, much less bottom tier P5 or G5 programs. For example, I see a rumor on the Rant that the Wake Forest QB is considering NIL vs. going pro because some teams are saying they can offer him ~$2M for 1 season through NIL. Guess which types of programs can afford something like that? Spoiler - not us.

vCash
    Gabe Cavazos has entered the portal.

Talk about an all time if a tree falls in the woods type recruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Gabe Cavazos has entered the portal.

Talk about an all time if a tree falls in the woods type recruit.
    Damn.....he's a redshirt freshman OL. How have you decided that he would never be any good?
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Damn.....he's a redshirt freshman OL. How have you decided that he would never be any good?
    You don't remember him leaving campus after August workouts when he first got here? He went home. We had to go back and get him.

Lets see where he lands. I'll be stunned if it is a P5 school and honestly my guess is that its a lower tier G5 school.

I have no ill will towards the kid, i hope he has a great life, just wish we hadn't wasted a scholarship on him.