Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with State fans NOT showing in Oxford for the Egg bowl?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I made a vow after the 2000 egg bowl to never go back. And I will keep that vow.

vCash
    I have been to Swayze Field but don't have any desire I know of at the moment to go to Vaught-Hemingway.

vCash
    Swazye is a good road game as long as you are in the foul ball area, wouldn’t be caught dead in the outfield area. Baton Rouge is another story. Any sport is a no go in BR.

vCash
    The last time I went I was pulled out of line by their "security" in bitter cold, forced to remove about 4 layers of outer wear, and patted down because he was sure I had a cowbell. I complained to no avail. Confession: I have a BS from State , 1977 out of love, OM 2010, out of economic necessity and geography (Commuted one summer to Oxford and 2 years Tupelo Campus). Didn't lose anything at Oxford, but did meet some nice people as a returning adult student. Don't plan on ever going back to Oxford.

vCash
    I've been to two games there. Both times almost froze and we lost both games. Never had any problems with their fans, but the seats you get are so bad it's hard to tell what's going on in the game. The last trip there was when Eli was playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I have no desire to set foot in Oxford, Mississippi again in my life if I can avoid it, unless I'm being paid to be there.
    Gospel truth. And dey aint enough money no how.

vCash
    I have been to multiple games at LSU. I’ve been to games at Bama, Auburn, USM (for some reason), and Ole Miss. The ONLY place where I was treated badly, treated like crap going through security, screamed at by opposing fans, had food at drinks thrown at our section, and bowed up on by fans on the way out was Ole Miss. That place, their fan base, players and coaching staff have major issues. Their fans (specifically) are toxic as it gets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Saw a girl get taken out on a stretcher from getting hit in the head with a thrown whiskey bottle.

The last time we went my wife had a coke poured on her while we were under the bleachers. We no longer go to Oxford.
    Rebels are A-holes, place is a shit hole.

vCash
    I am never going back to that campus. I am not going to give them a damn dime if I can help it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football . We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.
    Nailed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    Weather and Thanksgiving are certainly factors, but I think it's more that nobody wants to go up there and watch us get embarrassed by them. When we clearly have a better team, we show up well. I don't think most of our fans thought we would win last Thursday and they decided to stay home with family. Just look at this board for example. I can't count the times posters have commented about being "done" with Leach or the football program all while praising Kiffin and OM this season. The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football but we're not crazy obsessed with it. Kinda the opposite can be said about baseball. We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.
    The difference is we're "realistic" in football. Which means running down our team accomplishments while praising whatever is at Ole Miss.

vCash
    The only way I would go to another game in that booze pit were if we were highly ranked and I was going with a big group of people that I could enjoy the game with. The atmosphere is garbage. The amount of entitlement in that stadium makes me want to puke. And then you have to deal with all the drunks that know nothing about the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Nailed it.
    And to think that we arent all in on football but have been around 7-5 or 8-4 in the sec west. What could happen if we went all in?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The difference is we're "realistic" in football. Which means running down our team accomplishments while praising whatever is at Ole Miss.
    This past week has made me hate ole miss even more.

Those people are the worst fans in the entire SEC

the main ones talking about being classy are the same ones that throw chairs and trash on the field

They are going to be majorly disappointed they paid 9 million per year for a coach that doesnt want to be there and hit his ceiling in year 2 with their greatest team in school history .

Kiffin with the greatest ole miss team and quarterback of all time, lost to Brian Harsin.

vCash
    My last game there was Fitz doing sprints up and down the field and was sitting in an older fan section so it was good. The Entire DOG family would do well striving to be different. Classy and gracious win or lose. Be genuinely cordial to any visiting fans tailgating with or beside you. Finally just stay away from the frat boys, something about om frats are worse and more prone to provoke a fight than any other school I know.....including LSU or Bama. JMHO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    I am pretty sure that most people have the same reasoning. I love State hell I have about 12 degrees from there in my immediate family alone. I have a brother in law that played football for State and a father that played baseball for State. With that being said I generally make about 2 home games a year in football and about 7 games a year in baseball. I go to the games with my young kids for the atmosphere and we have a good time.

With that being said I don’t go to away games, not out of fear or anything like that but because I value my time at home with my kids due to work schedule. Those of you trying to talk down to fans about season tickets or NIL need a life. If those now paid athletes are the reason why you are happy or sad on saturdays then you need to change a few things.

I buy tickets at regular price I am not a season ticket holder and I DO NOT contribute to NIL and that will never change. If they want to raise ticket prices to give to NIL that is one thing but I will never give to a fund to give to a student that is already getting a free education. Call me not true maroon or whatever but I am already contributing too much of my hard earned money to taxes and others that don’t want to work to give more money to a bunch of kids that think they deserve it because they play a sport in college.

Just my two cents, maybe you can contribute that to NIL so we can get the next pre Madonna athlete that won’t graduate with a degree and may or may not be a contributing member of society.
    +1 well stated.

vCash
    They don't go to our home basketball games and won't fill our own small football stadium. Why would they go to Oxford?

vCash
    Never setting foot in Oxford again after my two experiences there representing our university. People talk about how Alabama and LSU treat visiting fans, but the amount of absolute scum at OM is unmatched. It's just thinly veiled behind bow ties and pretension. And they don't even pretend to try to keep it under control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I have been to multiple games at LSU. I’ve been to games at Bama, Auburn, USM (for some reason), and Ole Miss. The ONLY place where I was treated badly, treated like crap going through security, screamed at by opposing fans, had food at drinks thrown at our section, and bowed up on by fans on the way out was Ole Miss. That place, their fan base, players and coaching staff have major issues. Their fans (specifically) are toxic as it gets.
    Been to LSU only one time decades ago. John Bond had the LSU fans gone before halftime. He beat them all 4 years at State. Hail John! Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    They don't go to our home basketball games and won't fill our own small football stadium. Why would they go to Oxford?
    Been to every home basketball game and football season tickets for 50 plus years. Respectively disagree. Refill the Hump! This team deserves it and are fun to watch.