Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with State fans NOT showing in Oxford for the Egg bowl?

vCash

What's the deal with State fans NOT showing in Oxford for the Egg bowl?

Because it is thanksgiving day? Or lack of interest? ( Because of records or chances of winning) or other?

2012 we had a good crowd. We filled our sections. 2014 I stayed home, ticket prices. So I can't speak on 2014 attendance. However 2016, 2018 and 2022 I went.

2016: poor showing. We weren't expected to win. However it was a Saturday game.

2018: poor showing. Everyone knew we would win but it was thanksgiving day.

2020 Covid

2022. Poor showing. Toss up game. Thanksgiving day.

SCarolina had a better showing than us in Oxford for 2018. Kentucky did too in 2022

I always enjoy going to this game. I hate the game is on thanksgiving but I make it work to be there. I don't get State fans that don't go to this game.

vCash
    Avoid drunk or simply obnoxious individuals is the main issue.

vCash
    I have no desire to set foot in Oxford, Mississippi again in my life if I can avoid it, unless I'm being paid to be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Because it is thanksgiving day? Or lack of interest? ( Because of records or chances of winning) or other?

2012 we had a good crowd. We filled our sections. 2014 I stayed home, ticket prices. So I can't speak on 2014 attendance. However 2016, 2018 and 2022 I went.

2016: poor showing. We weren't expected to win. However it was a Saturday game.

2018: poor showing. Everyone knew we would win but it was thanksgiving day.

2020 Covid

2022. Poor showing. Toss up game. Thanksgiving day.

SCarolina had a better showing than us in Oxford for 2018. Kentucky did too in 2022

I always enjoy going to this game. I hate the game is on thanksgiving but I make it work to be there. I don't get State fans that don't go to this game.
    Last time I went it was a shit show. Surprised there wasn't a brawl in the grove. Lots of harassment. Not really my issue for not making it but I can get why people wouldn't want to put up with that.

vCash
    So right out the gate, scared is the answer.

I had OM fans congratulating me on the win. I had a couple of young guys say some obscene things my direction and at others in Maroon. Overall I saw State win and had a good time celebrating in the end.

A few mouthy kids aren't running me off.

vCash
    Other posters already answered, but same for me. Almost got into a brawl the only time I've been there. I was a much younger man and it had the chance of being bad. Especially for me!
    LSU is the same. I'll never go there again. Went when JWS was our coach. Trash.
    Those are the only places I've had issues at. Watching on tv, nothing has changed.

vCash

I had OM fans congratulating me on the win. I had a couple of young guys say some obscene things my direction and at others in Maroon. Overall I saw State win and had a good time celebrating in the end.

Scared......LMAO. Terrible reply. More like intelligent. Not worth getting shot thrown on you for no reason.

vCash
    "Scared" is not my issue. "Disgust" comes closer.

vCash

You asked a question. People answered, and you came back being very condescending.

vCash

If you have had a bad experience in Oxford - and I guarantee a number of us have - you don't want to step foot in that town again. It's not about being scared, it's just not fun and not worth it. It's the only visiting school I've ever had an issue at. Being a bunch of loud mouth a-holes is one thing. Flinging whiskey bottles at opposing fans and players is another.

Banned
    vCash
    I saw us win once there and I have no desire to ever go back. High school stadium and facility upkeep. Generally on Thanksgiving. Generally cold or rainy. No thanks.

vCash

Good for you, but ain't nobody scared. From TV, it sounded like a decent crowd. OM didn't fill up their stadium either so preach to them.

Here are some reasons if you want some but based on your response looks like you just wanted to insult anyone that didn't go.

1. expectations with Leach in Oxford were not good. I went and watched us lose before and it ain't fun, add in Oxford and who wants that misery. If many of the fanbase thought Leach would run the ball like he did, would have been more but he only did it twice all year.

2. Weather was not good.

3. Hotels and traveling arrangements. If you live close, good for you but many don't and it is an issue.

4. Costs - tickets, gas, hotel, food, etc. It is an expensive weekend.

5.Most importantly, not everyone in families wants to go or can go. Thanksgiving is about family and they need to be together if possible. Sports priority is down the line. Before you preach to me about it, I was in Starkville in 2017 for egg with my dad who was battling cancer on his last Thanksgiving. We didn't know how series it was at the time. Wish we'd stayed at home after the fact.

Folks need to quit preaching to others about going to games and giving to NIL. None of us knows what others deal with and sports is not a #1 priority in life.

vCash
    Been there done that once.... no desire to ever go back.
    The Grove is extremely overrated, crowded, full of drunks and a mud pit that smells like crap when it rains.
    Im good.
    Love All Worship One!
    Go Dawgz!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I saw us win once there and I have no desire to ever go back. High school stadium and facility upkeep. Generally on Thanksgiving. Generally cold or rainy. No thanks.
    I haven't been to Oxford since their stadium upgrades but before the upgrades it was a glorified HS stadium. You can't tell from TV but it ain't what it appears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If you have had a bad experience in Oxford - and I guarantee a number of us have - you don't want to step foot in that town again. It's not about being scared, it's just not fun and not worth it. It's the only visiting school I've ever had an issue at. Being a bunch of loud mouth a-holes is one thing. Flinging whiskey bottles at opposing fans and players is another.
    Speaking of which where is the media on OM throwing stuff on the field? OM was high and mighty on UT for throwing golf balls a few years ago.

vCash
    R2.... if Thanksgiving is the answer. I can respect that and don't blame anyone if that's Their reason. It happens to work for me to go but it's a pain. However the game needs to be moved off a national holiday. For sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Other posters already answered, but same for me. Almost got into a brawl the only time I've been there. I was a much younger man and it had the chance of being bad. Especially for me!
    LSU is the same. I'll never go there again. Went when JWS was our coach. Trash.
    Those are the only places I've had issues at. Watching on tv, nothing has changed.
    Ditto on both om and lsu and same type experience. Been to both won't go back. I have some accounts I see in Oxford and I get enough of that place on those visits.

vCash
    R2.... if Thanksgiving is the answer. I can respect that and don't blame anyone if that's Their reason. It happens to work for me to go but it's a pain. However the game needs to be moved off a national holiday. For sure.
    It is definitely part of it. Had this debate with my kids this week. Getting national exposure all by yourself is pretty good. Competing with Ohio St-Michigan, Iron Bowl, etc. on Sat is tough. I think over the years the MSU brand and OM too has grown because of the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving.

I think we should swap back and forth with Thursday and Friday some as a middle ground.

vCash
    Price, price, price + location, location, location = no, no, no

vCash
    I used to go when I was younger.. I also used to like to fight .. I have gotten older and I have zero desire to go to a place where I may lose it and become social media famous. Its not worth it and I dont trust myself if pushed hard enough.. Me showing self control is me not putting myself in a situation where I may lose my self control.