Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with State fans NOT showing in Oxford for the Egg bowl?

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    I've been to several games in Oxford as a State fan and just an observer. Having kids now, no way I'm taking them there. Even without the rivalry, I have no desire to take my kids around a bunch of entitled drunks There's a fight in the student section every week. There's drunks passed out in the grove. They think being a good fan is being the worst possible version of themselves to opposing fans. Only two times I've ever almost come to blows in a stadium was at VH. And neither time was the Egg Bowl. Add in it's a night game and people have been drinking all day long, no chance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    It is definitely part of it. Had this debate with my kids this week. Getting national exposure all by yourself is pretty good. Competing with Ohio St-Michigan, Iron Bowl, etc. on Sat is tough. I think over the years the MSU brand and OM too has grown because of the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving.

I think we should swap back and forth with Thursday and Friday some as a middle ground.
    It has definitely helped national exposure being on Thanksgiving. I get a lot of comments here because we are the only game. Most of my friends who aren't State fans always watch it because 1) It's the only game; and 2) it is usually a very entertaining game.
    I know it is hard on travel/family plans - I've done the leave family lunch in Atlanta at 12:30 ET to make the 6:00 CT a few times in addition to planning the game as a family trip for the holiday. I think it would be good to alternate 2 years on Thursday, 2 years on Friday. But, if ESPN likes it on Thursday that means it is drawing enough eyeballs that they want us in that slot - and that is a huge thing for us.

ETA: I also grew up going to the Ga/GT Thanksgiving JV game when it was in Atlanta. My uncle had played at GT, and it became a family tradition to go when he was on the team. They did away with the game after '93 -but I went an number of years in the 70s and 80s.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 11-28-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandownbytheriver View Post
    ... a bunch of entitled drunks [who] think being a good fan is being the worst possible version of themselves to opposing fans.
    This.

vCash
    Avoiding drunken fans that want to fight when they lose is my excuse. Also, Thanksgiving makes it tough to coordinate with the family.

I last went in 98 and I swore I'd never go over there again for the Egg Bowl.

We were pelleted with whiskey bottles by the student section as we departed.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    "Scared" is not my issue. "Disgust" comes closer.
    This ^^^^ and I will not go to that sewer lagoon.

vCash
    I am pretty sure that most people have the same reasoning. I love State hell I have about 12 degrees from there in my immediate family alone. I have a brother in law that played football for State and a father that played baseball for State. With that being said I generally make about 2 home games a year in football and about 7 games a year in baseball. I go to the games with my young kids for the atmosphere and we have a good time.

With that being said I don’t go to away games, not out of fear or anything like that but because I value my time at home with my kids due to work schedule. Those of you trying to talk down to fans about season tickets or NIL need a life. If those now paid athletes are the reason why you are happy or sad on saturdays then you need to change a few things.

I buy tickets at regular price I am not a season ticket holder and I DO NOT contribute to NIL and that will never change. If they want to raise ticket prices to give to NIL that is one thing but I will never give to a fund to give to a student that is already getting a free education. Call me not true maroon or whatever but I am already contributing too much of my hard earned money to taxes and others that don’t want to work to give more money to a bunch of kids that think they deserve it because they play a sport in college.

Just my two cents, maybe you can contribute that to NIL so we can get the next pre Madonna athlete that won’t graduate with a degree and may or may not be a contributing member of society.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    This ^^^^ and I will not go to that sewer lagoon.
    Yeah, "scared" is a weird take. Sounds like someone was looking for an answer that they wanted to rant about, didn't get it, but still tried to get their take in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Because it is thanksgiving day? Or lack of interest? ( Because of records or chances of winning) or other?

2012 we had a good crowd. We filled our sections. 2014 I stayed home, ticket prices. So I can't speak on 2014 attendance. However 2016, 2018 and 2022 I went.

2016: poor showing. We weren't expected to win. However it was a Saturday game.

2018: poor showing. Everyone knew we would win but it was thanksgiving day.

2020 Covid

2022. Poor showing. Toss up game. Thanksgiving day.

SCarolina had a better showing than us in Oxford for 2018. Kentucky did too in 2022

I always enjoy going to this game. I hate the game is on thanksgiving but I make it work to be there. I don't get State fans that don't go to this game.
    State fans sounded really loud on the broadcast.

vCash
    We knew the weather would turn wet in 2nd half and we did not want to get hit by a chair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    I am pretty sure that most people have the same reasoning. I love State hell I have about 12 degrees from there in my immediate family alone. I have a brother in law that played football for State and a father that played baseball for State. With that being said I generally make about 2 home games a year in football and about 7 games a year in baseball. I go to the games with my young kids for the atmosphere and we have a good time.

With that being said I don’t go to away games, not out of fear or anything like that but because I value my time at home with my kids due to work schedule. Those of you trying to talk down to fans about season tickets or NIL need a life. If those now paid athletes are the reason why you are happy or sad on saturdays then you need to change a few things.

I buy tickets at regular price I am not a season ticket holder and I DO NOT contribute to NIL and that will never change. If they want to raise ticket prices to give to NIL that is one thing but I will never give to a fund to give to a student that is already getting a free education. Call me not true maroon or whatever but I am already contributing too much of my hard earned money to taxes and others that don’t want to work to give more money to a bunch of kids that think they deserve it because they play a sport in college.

Just my two cents, maybe you can contribute that to NIL so we can get the next pre Madonna athlete that won’t graduate with a degree and may or may not be a contributing member of society.
    Agree.

vCash
    One time, in 1994 and that was quite enough. There was a funny part, drunk student go on a small hill on campus and hollered...."Riicoooolllllaaaaaaaaaaaa"

vCash
    Does the expression <that?s a stench that tide will not wash off>.

vCash
    Havent been back there since 2002 and likely never will again. Getting too old to fight
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We had a decent crowd there. We didn't sell all of our tickets, but there were enough folks there to make noise and take over the stadium when the game was over.

vCash
    I don't care to pay money to be treated the way I was the last time I went to a MSU football game there. I will never go there again.

vCash
    Weather and Thanksgiving are certainly factors, but I think it's more that nobody wants to go up there and watch us get embarrassed by them. When we clearly have a better team, we show up well. I don't think most of our fans thought we would win last Thursday and they decided to stay home with family. Just look at this board for example. I can't count the times posters have commented about being "done" with Leach or the football program all while praising Kiffin and OM this season. The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football but we're not crazy obsessed with it. Kinda the opposite can be said about baseball. We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If you have had a bad experience in Oxford - and I guarantee a number of us have - you don't want to step foot in that town again. It's not about being scared, it's just not fun and not worth it. It's the only visiting school I've ever had an issue at. Being a bunch of loud mouth a-holes is one thing. Flinging whiskey bottles at opposing fans and players is another.
    Saw a girl get taken out on a stretcher from getting hit in the head with a thrown whiskey bottle.

The last time we went my wife had a coke poured on her while we were under the bleachers. We no longer go to Oxford.

vCash
    What that girl in SEC shorts said…”we’re a quarterback away from trying that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I saw us win once there and I have no desire to ever go back. High school stadium and facility upkeep. Generally on Thanksgiving. Generally cold or rainy. No thanks.
    Same. Not enough room for the number of fans seated in the end zone. An om professor kept running down the aisle every time they did something. PD told him to stay in his seat. Bourbon bottles thrown on the field. Winning was fun but the atmosphere sucks.

vCash
    1. I had 0 expectations that CML would call enough run plays to win.

2. I don?t mind drinking but I absolutely hate obnoxious loud mouth drunks and am prone to have bad experiences around them.

3. Not scared

Glad I was wrong about 1!