Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forbes

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I Love Frobes, but he should NOT play in the bowl game.

to omuch riding on it. Hate to say that, but id advise him not to play.

He's done enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post

He's done enough.
    Yep. I'm sure Wheat has been told the same/ Plus give the guys who are returning practice time.

vCash

He's done enough.
    I wish Leach would come out and announce Forbes as an honorary captain, but that he isn?t playing.

I think you gain a lot of credibility with crootts by doing something like that.

vCash

He's done enough.

I would tell anyone holding a 1st round grade to sit any bowl, short of playing for a natty. I'm not gonna shred my lottery ticket on the way to cash it in.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I wish Leach would come out and announce Forbes as an honorary captain, but that he isn?t playing.

I think you gain a lot of credibility with crootts by doing something like that.
    Do you make everyone that sits out an honorary captain? Because you could lose credibility with croots if you don't. I'm all for appreciating our players but I think this could be a slippery slope.

vCash
    Play in the bowl games!
    The odds of getting hurt in playing one more game are real slim.
    And, even if they get hurt doesn?t mean it?s going to drop their stock much.
    Look at the QB from Louiville who got hurt in his last bowl game. He has made millions playing for Baltimore and I believe was STILL a first rounder.
    Look at Jeff Simmons. I think (not 100% sure) he played in a bowl game but then got seriously hurt while working out on his own after the bowl game and was STILL a first rounder. His 2nd contract is going to be a MONSTER.
    Again, play in the bowl games.

vCash
    Does anyone think he'll get the Thorpe award?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Does anyone think he'll get the Thorpe award?
    Nope. What a bunch of BS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Do you make everyone that sits out an honorary captain? Because you could lose credibility with croots if you don't. I'm all for appreciating our players but I think this could be a slippery slope.
    I think anyone leaving early or that received a solid draft grade you have them sit out. I think you are sending a message and to recruits and your own players, that you care more about their future than you do your own success in winning a fairly meaningless bowl game.

Just my thought, I know everyone is not going to agree with me on this.

I just think it would resonate with top level recruits.

vCash
    I disagree - which this logic, why play your senior year? Why play any year for that matter - risk of getting injured and recovery time being extended, its not worth it.

vCash
    Redmond

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I disagree - which this logic, why play your senior year? Why play any year for that matter - risk of getting injured and recovery time being extended, its not worth it.
    Well for some extremely top level players this is already happening. Jamar Chase and Singletary at LSU did basically that and all that happened is they became top 5 draft picks and are two of the best players in the league.

We are talking about a mid tier bowl game. You can certainly give the players the option to play, but I think its a disservice to the player.

If Saban lets Bryce Young or Will Anderson risk their top 10 draft status to play in a bowl game, he should be slammed. Every coach that risks their player's health when they are a projected first round pick, should be required to talk to Jaylon Smith from Notre Dame. He went from projected top 5 pick to a 2nd round pick. Cost him over 15 million dollars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I'm with you on this. To take it a step further, where do you draw the line on which players to sit? Just the top picks, or anyone that might get drafted? Anyone that might make a practice squad?

I'm also dubious that sitting Forbes would score points with recruits. High school seniors are immortal in their own minds and don't care to contemplate the possibility of injury. And even if it does help a little with recruiting some players, I think it's a negative message overall, because you're telling your team that you're fine with the chance of 84 of them getting hurt but not willing to risk one or two guys. You preach teamwork and team above individuals all year; I don't think you should throw those lessons away lightly.

vCash
    Forbes being snubbed is even more egregious when you compare the stats...

vCash
    I think anyone leaving early or that received a solid draft grade you have them sit out. I think you are sending a message and to recruits and your own players, that you care more about their future than you do your own success in winning a fairly meaningless bowl game.

Just my thought, I know everyone is not going to agree with me on this.

I just think it would resonate with top level recruits.
    There are 41 bowl games, (may have to get a couple of 5-7 teams to play), and most of them are now meaningless except for $, as a reward for the players and valuable additional practice time for younger players. I no longer get upset if players like Forbes and Wheat decide to sit out. Thank them for their contributions and enjoy getting a glimpse of the future watching the next men up. JMO. Note: Got my last bowl tickets though Bulldog Club for Music City Bowl, next to the last row at the top of the stadium with about 20K empty seats below us. Moved down to get out of the frigid wind.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 11-29-2022 at 12:03 PM.

vCash
    Unless it is a playoff game, bowls are just exhibitions.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Forbes being snubbed is even more egregious when you compare the stats...

Yea I read on Genespage that per Pro Football Focus he also has the best pass allowed rating in the SEC. Him not winning is robbery.

vCash
    Well for some extremely top level players this is already happening. Jamar Chase and Singletary at LSU did basically that and all that happened is they became top 5 draft picks and are two of the best players in the league.

We are talking about a mid tier bowl game. You can certainly give the players the option to play, but I think its a disservice to the player.

If Saban lets Bryce Young or Will Anderson risk their top 10 draft status to play in a bowl game, he should be slammed. Every coach that risks their player's health when they are a projected first round pick, should be required to talk to Jaylon Smith from Notre Dame. He went from projected top 5 pick to a 2nd round pick. Cost him over 15 million dollars.
    So you don't think Youn or Anderson should risk their health for the iron bowl since they are realistically out of the playoffs? Why is a bowl game any more or less meaningful than regular season games after a conference and national championship are off the table? I'm not going to bash players that don't play. But I don't understand why they wouldn't extend that logic into their last year on campus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We could have the greatest football player that ever played the game at any level, and get picked over.
    Smoot came in 2nd and Banks won it