Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men's basketball looking ahead

vCash

Men's basketball looking ahead

We are currently 6-0 with good wins against power 5 schools, Marquette and Utah. We have another game coming up @Minnesota in a few weeks and later against a pretty good Drake team who is currently undefeated, other than those 2 games the remaining teams on our non conference schedule should be easy wins, even though anything can happen. We have a very good chance at going into SEC play undefeated.

I know some wish we played a few more tough games before conference play and I understand but I also like having a few easy games to help us find more of an offensive identity. Tolu Smith has been great for us but some of the other guys have been up and down. Jeffries, Davis, Reed and Moore have all shown flashes offensively, if we can get consistent play from 1 or 2 of those guys to go along with Tolu we are going to win alot of games. But we can't go on 3 and 4 minute droughts without scoring against teams like Bama, Tennesse, Auburn, UK etc.. they have too much offensive power, our defense can only do so much, we have to be able to score too.

Oh and PACK THE HUMP!! This team deserves it

vCash
    Hopefully they spend some time this weekend before Monday's game shooting free throws. Making them would make a huge difference.

The defense is certainly scrappy and effective. Hope they keep that up and improve scoring a bit.

vCash
    Great chance to be 11-1 going into SEC play. I think we split @Minn and @Drake and win the home ones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Great chance to be 11-1 going into SEC play. I think we split @Minn and @Drake and win the home ones
    The Drake game is at home. The Minnesota game is away. I actually see us going into conference play undefeated, but the Minn game will be a test at their place

vCash
    Drake will be tough! I think that's our biggest test this non conference schedule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Drake will be tough! I think that's our biggest test this non conference schedule
    Bigger than Marquette or Utah? I disagree... Drake will definitely be tough but we are at home. They aren't better than Marquette. Not slighting them but Marquette has been our toughest test on the season

vCash
    It?s not at home. A neutral site game in Lincoln, NE. They?ll have a lot of fans there

vCash
    Need to get a reliable outside shooter.

vCash
    My son, two friends, and I will be there Monday Night. Be there if you can. This team is fun to watch and need the crowds to start growing. Hail State!

vCash
    Yes, bigger than both of those you mentioned. Drake is picked to win their conference. And it's a neutral site game, that will be like a home game for Drake.

vCash
    Marquette playing Baylor Tuesday night. Be sweet if they could pull that one out

vCash
    Would be huge for our RPI/NET if they did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    It?s not at home. A neutral site game in Lincoln, NE. They?ll have a lot of fans there
    And it's televised on the B1G network. Might be hard for some MSU fans to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Yes, bigger than both of those you mentioned. Drake is picked to win their conference. And it's a neutral site game, that will be like a home game for Drake.
    Drake is not better than Marquette. Marquette beat Georgia Tech by 24 and barely lost to Purdue.. Drake definitely wouldn't do that. They are a good team but most of their games have been close and their schedule has been fairly easy. It won't be a gimme game but I expect to win

vCash
    Love the D and how hard the guys play. Hope their shooting improves otherwise there will be several losses. So far a major step in the right direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    Love the D and how hard the guys play. Hope their shooting improves otherwise there will be several losses. So far a major step in the right direction.
    Agree, scoring overall has to improve but our defense is amazing

vCash
    I'd like to see McNair get a few more productive minutes per game to give Tolu some rest. I hope another shooter emerges. Davis looks good. Maybe Reed can be the other shooter.
    Moore has had a few streaks in his career but at this point I don't know if he will be consistent. He has usually hit short jumpers and driven the ball well but he has been ice cold lately. I hope he can use some of these easy games coming up to get back on track.
    I would hope our free throw shooting improves because I don't see how it could get much worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I'd like to see McNair get a few more productive minutes per game to give Tolu some rest. I hope another shooter emerges. Davis looks good. Maybe Reed can be the other shooter.
    Moore has had a few streaks in his career but at this point I don't know if he will be consistent. He has usually hit short jumpers and driven the ball well but he has been ice cold lately. I hope he can use some of these easy games coming up to get back on track.
    I would hope our free throw shooting improves because I don't see how it could get much worse.
    I want Reed to be more consistent. One game he is lights out another game he can;t git crap./ Yeah on McNair giving Toulu more rest.

vCash
    We're going to have to get better before playing Alabama. They're a pretty good shooting team. They up on UNC early in the 2nd period.

Speaking of announcers, does anybody like Bill Walton as an announcer? He kinda seems to be trying to sound like Vital, and is otherwise irritating. Last Friday, he was the color guy on the game after ours and said the Tennessee River runs from Tuscaloosa north to Florence, AL. Not quite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    We're going to have to get better before playing Alabama. They're a pretty good shooting team. They up on UNC early in the 2nd period.

Speaking of announcers, does anybody like Bill Walton as an announcer? He kinda seems to be trying to sound like Vital, and is otherwise irritating. Last Friday, he was the color guy on the game after ours and said the Tennessee River runs from Tuscaloosa north to Florence, AL. Not quite.
    In his defense he was probably high.