Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal QB

vCash

Transfer Portal QB

With posters bringing up the subject of going to the transfer portal to get a savior QB I have a question. What makes you think that this will "save" us. Not everyone is going to be a Burrow and Burrows 1st year at LSU he sucked. Brady made him a star.. What make you think a 3rd stringer from a FBS team can come come in here, get the starting position and win in his 1st season against SEC defenses? If that was the case Lovertich would be our starter. I'd rather get a QB coach who can spend time with these kids and groom them to be starters. Right now Leach has too much on his plate to be the HC OC and QB coach to do that.

vCash
    Yeah, the portal is not the answer. This system is built on reps. Will is the only QB who has gotten meaningful reps, in games or practice, with the first team, in the last 2.5 years. That's why all the recruits aren't coming along and why all the back ups look lost. He would literally have to bench Will, pick a new QB, and start giving him all the first string reps starting today for any of this to matter. Fact is, Will has the job until he leaves or his eligibility runs out, unless Leach leaves or makes a jaw dropping decision.

vCash
    We don't need a savior QB although I'm not against that either.

We need a Jack Abraham.

vCash
    You?re saying we can?t get better than what we have. I don?t buy that. That?s exactly what NIL money is for.

vCash
    Some think we can attract a better QB to come here and compete with Will and win the job. No high rated QB is going to come here as long as Will is the QB. They don't transfer to compete . They want to be "the" QB when they transfer. Now if for some unknown reason Will transferred then yeah we could go to the portal.

vCash
    Don't any of the blue bloods have a 3rd string QB that needs immediate playing time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    What makes you think that this will "save" us.
    this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

Adapt or get left behind.

vCash
    I think Luke Altmyer would do just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

Adapt or get left behind.
    A CJ Stroud isn't coming here.

vCash
    How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?

vCash
    None of that is true.

Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.

vCash
    uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?
    Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out
    Sorry thought he transferred to OSU after getting beaten out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    None of that is true.

Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.
    Spot on. But I think Will is gonna be the guy next year.

vCash
    Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?
    No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.

vCash
    He isn't an air raid quarterback but a coach somewhere is going to figure out how to use Malik Hornsby from Arkansas. Leach said this after the Arkansas game.... "I think (Hornsby's) really good, kind of a stud," Mississippi State head coach Mike Leach said. "Well he's really fast, a guy that can get all of it if you don't keep a lid on him, and then he keeps it alive long enough that your coverage breaks down. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but he can throw it forever, so I thought that guy played really well."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I think Luke Altmyer would do just fine.
    No thanks

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Because we know what we have. And what we have isn?t going to win a damn thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.
    Thanks.