Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 149

Thread: Transfer Portal QB

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,858
    vCash
    427176943

    Transfer Portal QB

    With posters bringing up the subject of going to the transfer portal to get a savior QB I have a question. What makes you think that this will "save" us. Not everyone is going to be a Burrow and Burrows 1st year at LSU he sucked. Brady made him a star.. What make you think a 3rd stringer from a FBS team can come come in here, get the starting position and win in his 1st season against SEC defenses? If that was the case Lovertich would be our starter. I'd rather get a QB coach who can spend time with these kids and groom them to be starters. Right now Leach has too much on his plate to be the HC OC and QB coach to do that.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,405
    vCash
    3168
    Yeah, the portal is not the answer. This system is built on reps. Will is the only QB who has gotten meaningful reps, in games or practice, with the first team, in the last 2.5 years. That's why all the recruits aren't coming along and why all the back ups look lost. He would literally have to bench Will, pick a new QB, and start giving him all the first string reps starting today for any of this to matter. Fact is, Will has the job until he leaves or his eligibility runs out, unless Leach leaves or makes a jaw dropping decision.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    37,694
    vCash
    3700
    We don't need a savior QB although I'm not against that either.

    We need a Jack Abraham.

  4. #4
    Senior Member EdwardDrayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Fairhope, AL
    Posts
    2,312
    vCash
    1000
    You?re saying we can?t get better than what we have. I don?t buy that. That?s exactly what NIL money is for.

  5. #5
    Senior Member yjnkdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5,024
    vCash
    3287
    Some think we can attract a better QB to come here and compete with Will and win the job. No high rated QB is going to come here as long as Will is the QB. They don't transfer to compete . They want to be "the" QB when they transfer. Now if for some unknown reason Will transferred then yeah we could go to the portal.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Null Pointer
    Posts
    350
    vCash
    3099
    Don't any of the blue bloods have a 3rd string QB that needs immediate playing time?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    411
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    What makes you think that this will "save" us.
    this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

    Adapt or get left behind.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,976
    vCash
    3100
    I think Luke Altmyer would do just fine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,858
    vCash
    427176943
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

    Adapt or get left behind.
    A CJ Stroud isn't coming here.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    411
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    A CJ Stroud isn't coming here.
    How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    1,289
    vCash
    3000
    None of that is true.

    Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

    Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

    Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

    lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

    If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,215
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    A CJ Stroud isn't coming here.
    uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,858
    vCash
    427176943
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?
    Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,858
    vCash
    427176943
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out
    Sorry thought he transferred to OSU after getting beaten out.

  15. #15
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Covington County Mississippi
    Posts
    9,001
    vCash
    1540588
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    None of that is true.

    Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

    Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

    Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

    lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

    If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.
    Spot on. But I think Will is gonna be the guy next year.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,215
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?
    No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

    My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    340
    vCash
    3100
    He isn't an air raid quarterback but a coach somewhere is going to figure out how to use Malik Hornsby from Arkansas. Leach said this after the Arkansas game.... "I think (Hornsby's) really good, kind of a stud," Mississippi State head coach Mike Leach said. "Well he's really fast, a guy that can get all of it if you don't keep a lid on him, and then he keeps it alive long enough that your coverage breaks down. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but he can throw it forever, so I thought that guy played really well."

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11,594
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I think Luke Altmyer would do just fine.
    No thanks

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    11,150
    vCash
    3086
    Because we know what we have. And what we have isn?t going to win a damn thing.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    9,858
    vCash
    427176943
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

    My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.
    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.