Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that made me happy in the Egg Bowl, and deserve a shout...

vCash

Things that made me happy in the Egg Bowl, and deserve a shout...

- Defense - All of them, from Arnett on down. You guys left it all out there and played one of the most legendary games I've seen at State tonight. Set the tone early with that huge lick on Mingo to jar the ball loose, and didn't stop punching them in the mouth all night. Held that offense under 100 yards rushing....just an outstanding performance. Made me and several other State fans so proud tonight (and all year really. You guys deserved it)

- Running Backs - Woody and DJ are just studs. They take an absolute beating in this offense, and they always manage to trot back out even when it looks like they're concussed. And they run hard. Max effort, max endurance, max respect from me and the rest of our fans.

- Punter - Can't believe we aren't talking about him more. This dude had a few games where he couldn't keep from shanking punts...then proceeds to boom us out of a hole and flip the field early, and then pin them deep multiple times tonight. Way to step up in a big game, dude.

- Kicker - We didn't ask you to do a lot, and I wanted to strangle you when you kicked the opening kick off out of bounds...but you made the stressful kicks and PAT's look easy tonight, especially that go ahead FG to take the crowd out. And we all have seen too many missed chip shots in our day, especially in the EB. So kudos for not stressing us the hell out by missing kicks and just going there and doing your damn job. Thank you.

- Jon Sokoloff - Tip of the cap for your service this week.

vCash
    So we can take you off the hari-kari watch now?? ****

vCash
    Agreed and...one hell of a take for a team whose head coach is nationally recognized as being an air raid guy. Not a single damn pass offense player made a difference tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    So we can take you off the hari-kari watch now?? ****
    Not sure what that means, but I'm still not a big Leach fan. I admit the QB is a hindrance so far...but it's Leach's job to get us one that isn't. And he is too damn stubborn with the pass. 1st and 5 after an offsides penalty, near mid field, against OM run D...and we go pass, pass, pass, punt? That is unacceptable, man. And that type of coaching will lose us games, and already has. So, I'm not a Leach fan when it comes to this boring hot air balloon air raid...but since we're stuck with him, I just pray he finds a competent QB, bc Will is just not able to do what needs to be done to make this offense work versus good teams. Not Will's fault...just isn't in his arsenal. And don't get me started on running out of bounds short of the first down on 4th and 7. Nope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    Agreed and...one hell of a take for a team whose head coach is nationally recognized as being an air raid guy. Not a single damn pass offense player made a difference tonight.
    Yeah, a positive for the rest of the team...but a major indictment of Leach and his offense. He needs to step it up. He is not delivering his end of the deal. Arnett is probably the only reason he's not fired tomorrow if we're being honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Not sure what that means, but I'm still not a big Leach fan. I admit the QB is a hindrance so far...but it's Leach's job to get us one that isn't. And he is too damn stubborn with the pass. 1st and 5 after an offsides penalty, near mid field, against OM run D...and we go pass, pass, pass, punt? That is unacceptable, man. And that type of coaching will lose us games, and already has. So, I'm not a Leach fan when it comes to this boring hot air balloon air raid...but since we're stuck with him, I just pray he finds a competent QB, bc Will is just not able to do what needs to be done to make this offense work versus good teams. Not Will's fault...just isn't in his arsenal.
    I was kidding with you. Hari-kari - you know suicide watch list. Just kidding tho. Will can check into anything he wants to at LOS. And he is looking like deer in headlights too much of the time for his experience now IMO.

vCash
    I was kidding with you. Hari-kari - you know suicide watch list. Just kidding tho. Will can check into anything he wants to at LOS. And he is looking like deer in headlights too much of the time for his experience now IMO.
    Ohhh I gotcha, haha...yeah i was not feeling good about the program. This win will be a nice shot in the arm. And you're right, we need a shot in the arm at QB too. Will just seems to not be seeing things clearly...from reads pre snap, to open receivers post snap. I've been disappointed in the regression we have seen from him. And the lack of toughness I didn't expect, especially from a guy that acts like he wants to win so bad. You don't run out on 4th down and not even give us a chance with the game on the line in the Egg Bowl, man. That's damn near criminal. At least heave it up towards a WR and hope we make a play if you're too scared to lower a shoulder

vCash
    Great post, CD! I agree on all accept I'd also give a shout out to the ol, they were physical and opened run lanes(we should've run more) and gave Will more than ample time and if he'd just STEP up in the pocket! Dawgs made us proud tonight! Talked to my boy Nicholson tonight and told him to tell Will to give the freaking ball to dj next time!
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 11-25-2022 at 02:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Great post, CD! I agree on all accept I'd also give a shout out to the ol, they were physical and opened run lanes(we should've run more) and have Will more than ample time and if he'd just STEP in the pocket! Dawgs made us proud tonight! Talked to my boy Nicholson tonight and told him to tell Will to give the freaking ball to dj next time!
    Man you're right about the OL. I should have added them. They had a much better night than Will made it seem. A lot to build on if they can continue to run block like they did tonight in addition to their pass protection.

vCash
    Ohhh I gotcha, haha...yeah i was not feeling good about the program. This win will be a nice shot in the arm. And you're right, we need a shot in the arm at QB too. Will just seems to not be seeing things clearly...from reads pre snap, to open receivers post snap. I've been disappointed in the regression we have seen from him. And the lack of toughness I didn't expect, especially from a guy that acts like he wants to win so bad. You don't run out on 4th down and not even give us a chance with the game on the line in the Egg Bowl, man. That's damn near criminal. At least heave it up towards a WR and hope we make a play if you're too scared to lower a shoulder
    I agree ... that was a very dumb play. Unfortunately, Will is making too many of those and he has seemed to regress IMO too. I was mostly pissed at him all night long. Then he topped it off with a stupid fumble when you have 2 more downs to make 1 yd.

We got pretty tough players. We are a lot tougher than we were in JoMo's 2nd year. 1st year there was still some toughness left from Mullen. Overall, we could be pretty decent if we just had a tougher QB who played smarter.

vCash
    I agree ... that was a very dumb play. Unfortunately, Will is making too many of those and he has seemed to regress IMO too. I was mostly pissed at him all night long. Then he topped it off with a stupid fumble when you have 2 more downs to make 1 yd.

We got pretty tough players. We are a lot tougher than we were in JoMo's 2nd year. 1st year there was still some toughness left from Mullen. Overall, we could be pretty decent if we just had a tougher QB who played smarter.
    You're right about the toughness. And the hustle and effort. One of many plays that exemplified that hustle and effort was tulu racing back to recover Wills fumble, if he doesn't hustle and get that ball om either gets a scoop and score but at least great field position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You're right about the toughness. And the hustle and effort. One of many plays that exemplified that hustle and effort was tulu racing back to recover Wills fumble, if he doesn't hustle and get that ball om either gets a scoop and score but at least great field position
    That was a HELLUVA play by Tulu.

vCash
    That was a HELLUVA play by Tulu.
    Amen, just pure hustle and want to!

vCash
    And don't forget the weather which kinda forced us to run the ball/ Overall we had 40 passing plays to 37 rushes. the 2nd half was 27 rushes to 13 passes.

vCash

I wonder if he realized that and tried to atone for it later in the game when he kept the ball and didn't slide or run out. Also wonder if that was the reason he called his own number on that goal line fumble. I really hope that wasn't called from the sideline. But if he realizes his mistake and the optics of pussing out, then that's a positive for the future. But what even I fail to remember is to run this offense takes a lot of familiarity and knowledge of the system. He's obviously the best we have on the roster and you're not hitting the portal to bring in somebody with the knowledge to run it effectively on the fly. I'm thinking our best shot the next 1-2 years is him learning from his mistakes and improving. I do wish we had seen Sawyer in with the other starters just to see what he looked like in meaningful game action with the other 1's and not the walk on water boys.

vCash
    I hate to pile on will esp after a win; but if ever the arm strength was on display, it was the int... he was trying to throw that out of bounds, and he couldn't get it there bc he didn't have him feet set.

For most of the throws in this offense, you probably don't need a great arm. It does make me wonder how many throws he just doesn't make in tighter windows bc he doesn't have confidence in his arm to get it there.

Like every other position on our team, I'd look at the portal hard for qb also.

vCash
    I have been a pretty big critic of Leach due to not running the ball and heck if it doesn?t start raining I?m not sure he runs the ball last night, BUT I don?t think I?ve disliked a player as much as I do Will Rogers. I?ve never seen a football player so scared to take a hit. There was open receivers almost every series and instead of standing in the pocket to take a hit to get it to them or instead of stepping up into the pocket to deliver a throw, he just ran backwards. If we trot him out there next year we won?t be any improved. That 4th and 7 run out of bounds should have gotten him on the bench.

vCash
    - Defense - All of them, from Arnett on down. You guys left it all out there and played one of the most legendary games I've seen at State tonight. Set the tone early with that huge lick on Mingo to jar the ball loose, and didn't stop punching them in the mouth all night. Held that offense under 100 yards rushing....just an outstanding performance. Made me and several other State fans so proud tonight (and all year really. You guys deserved it)

- Running Backs - Woody and DJ are just studs. They take an absolute beating in this offense, and they always manage to trot back out even when it looks like they're concussed. And they run hard. Max effort, max endurance, max respect from me and the rest of our fans.

- Punter - Can't believe we aren't talking about him more. This dude had a few games where he couldn't keep from shanking punts...then proceeds to boom us out of a hole and flip the field early, and then pin them deep multiple times tonight. Way to step up in a big game, dude.

- Kicker - We didn't ask you to do a lot, and I wanted to strangle you when you kicked the opening kick off out of bounds...but you made the stressful kicks and PAT's look easy tonight, especially that go ahead FG to take the crowd out. And we all have seen too many missed chip shots in our day, especially in the EB. So kudos for not stressing us the hell out by missing kicks and just going there and doing your damn job. Thank you.

Wide Receivers and the OL balled out too. Only one person on the team didn’t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I hate to pile on will esp after a win; but if ever the arm strength was on display, it was the int... he was trying to throw that out of bounds, and he couldn't get it there bc he didn't have him feet set.

For most of the throws in this offense, you probably don't need a great arm. It does make me wonder how many throws he just doesn't make in tighter windows bc he doesn't have confidence in his arm to get it there.

Like every other position on our team, I'd look at the portal hard for qb also.
    I don’t think that was to trying to throw out of bounds. I think he was trying to hit Rufus or whoever that was behind Reese.

vCash

Great post Cadaver and agree.

Our RB are tough as nails. The D just was nasty in the front 7 all night. Shut the fighting Judkins down cold turkey. ST gotta brag on all phases. A+ special teams we have now.