Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: MSU vs Utah mens basketball

vCash
    We have us a coach, ladies and gentlemen.

vCash
    One thing that Coach J said on the postgame show. There will be games like these and its important how you finish games like these. but the next time a player keeps missing wide open 3s he needs to get the Reggie Jackson Treatment. Oh Yeah Vandy having the game with St Marys and Arky had to go to OT against San Diego St.

vCash
    This team is doing something that Howlands teams didn't do and that's close out games. Nice to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This team is doing something that Howlands teams didn't do and that's close out games. Nice to see.
    My kind of Coach also. Love the defensive intensity and rebounding. Shooting will improve especially at the Hump. I would like to see us get out some on the break with turnovers which will come in days ahead. Also we handle the ball pretty well which is another good trait.

Many on ED complaining about our offense and so many 3's, I can tell you Jans will improve in this area as well with too many 3's. Fact is we have a couple of guys capable of being much better shooters but we gotta recruit in this area.

Fun team to watch for me and winning close games!

vCash
    Still amazed we won that game...

38 3-pt shots to 29 2-pt shots
    25.4% shooting overall, 23.7% 3
    -4 rebounds
    56.3% FT
    We were positive Assists to TO: 10 to 6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    My kind of Coach also. Love the defensive intensity and rebounding. Shooting will improve especially at the Hump. I would like to see us get out some on the break with turnovers which will come in days ahead. Also we handle the ball pretty well which is another good trait.

Many on ED complaining about our offense and so many 3's, I can tell you Jans will improve in this area as well with too many 3's. Fact is we have a couple of guys capable of being much better shooters but we gotta recruit in this area.

NMSU was 234th in 3-pt shooting % last year. They were a solid 102nd in fg % though. Under Jans, we aren't gonna win games with offense, but we can lose em with offense if we don't chill with all the 3s. Our defense will win games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    NMSU was 234th in 3-pt shooting % last year. They were a solid 102nd in fg % though. Under Jans, we aren't gonna win games with offense, but we can lose em with offense if we don't chill with all the 3s. Our defense will win games
    I think he will adjust, he is a proven winner. Time will tell moving forward with our shooting. His NMSU team was very competitive, this year team is very competitive as well. You win with what you got, we are an inside team with defense, and rebounding, Jans will coach to his strengths and that is what good Coaches do.

vCash
    It's obviously extremely early, but we 11th in RPI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    One thing that Coach J said on the postgame show. There will be games like these and its important how you finish games like these. but the next time a player keeps missing wide open 3s he needs to get the Reggie Jackson Treatment. Oh Yeah Vandy having the game with St Marys and Arky had to go to OT against San Diego St.
    Arkansas also lost to Creighton Monday or Tuesday night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We have us a coach, ladies and gentlemen.
    Yes, I think so. He stays with the game until the end and shows a bunch of energy.

vCash
    There is a reason he is letting them shoot the 3 now. These guys are better shooters than we probably realize and he is giving them time to get rhythm and build confidence. When we are even decent at the 3 ball, it will open up the inside more and then this team is on another level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There is a reason he is letting them shoot the 3 now. These guys are better shooters than we probably realize and he is giving them time to get rhythm and build confidence. When we are even decent at the 3 ball, it will open up the inside more and then this team is on another level.
    Had we made even 3 or 4 more 3 pointers, this game wouldn't have been contested and Tolu would have had more opportunities.

But, until we can make those shots, teams are going to do what Utah and Marquette did and that's double Tolu almost immediately after he touches the ball in the post.

If we can shoot 33% there, teams will have to spread themselves out a little to defend it. Until then, Tolu is going to have to work very hard to get his.

vCash
    I know this is a partly weak excuse, but the rims in that gym were stiff as hell. Pretty much all the teams shot poorly. We aren't great shooting but will be better than last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Had we made even 3 or 4 more 3 pointers, this game wouldn't have been contested and Tolu would have had more opportunities.

But, until we can make those shots, teams are going to do what Utah and Marquette did and that's double Tolu almost immediately after he touches the ball in the post.

If we can shoot 33% there, teams will have to spread themselves out a little to defend it. Until then, Tolu is going to have to work very hard to get his.
    Agreed. Unfortunately we are as inaccurate on midrange jumpers as we are the 3, so might as well spread them out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I know this is a partly weak excuse, but the rims in that gym were stiff as hell. Pretty much all the teams shot poorly. We aren't great shooting but will be better than last night.
    Well we've sucked in every game so kind of never mind. Still think it will improve slightly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    We attempted 10 2-pt shots in the 2nd half. Thats way too few

vCash
    Well we've sucked in every game so kind of never mind. Still think it will improve slightly
    I agree we will most likely improve from 3. If the 3s were from inside passes out, I wouldn't complain near as much. Our 3s last night were almost all perimeter passing until we settled for a 3.

Our defense is so damn good that if we just clean up our offense some, we could be a pretty damn good. Lazy perimeter passing isn't gonna be successful imo.

We are 6-0, so I'm not trying to run down jans. Jans is terrific, and I just want him to tighten up our offense some

vCash
    Back in my childhood, before dunks were legal, rims were bolted on firmly without a spring. So they were really stiff, with the only play coming from the steel rim itself. I think it was illegal to even touch the rim, let alone hang on it now after a dunk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

This! I love watching the intensity and effort we play with. Nobody is ever just standing around offense or defense. The thing on offense is even though we're not shooting well right now is the offense is creating so many open looks just not going down right now. If you can continue getting those open looks they will start to fall. The way we've been closing out games is impressive!

vCash
    Utah was making it difficult to get a shot off any where near the basket so they forced us to settle for so many 3’s. I predict they will make the tournament and possibly advance with their length and shooting ability.

I’d like to see us cut to the basket without the ball more.

Moore is a better 3 ball shooter than he is showing I think. He is sliding right or back on his shot and not toward the rim or straight up & down.

It’s great to see how much Jans demands intensity.