Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leach blaming/praising players

vCash

Leach blaming/praising players

After SC demolished rocky top last night, it was really refreshing to hear Beamer speak so highly of his kids and that he had believed in them and really spoke to so many attributes that he believed they had. We saw the same thing out of Heupel in their big wins, same out of Brian Kelly and Sam Pittman in their wins. We've seen it out of Kiffin and even Saban at times.

One person I have yet to see praise for his players from is CML. Even yesterday in a blowout loss, when asked why he thought his team performed so well, he never gave praise. Instead, he took the opportunity to discredit the backups who were given opportunities - the second time he has done so this year. In my opinion it kills all energy. It kills energy within the fanbase. And kids in this generation have to be praised publicly - it's a different generation than the 90s. I have never seen anyone crap on their players more than CML, and Mullen was pretty bad about it at times too.

vCash
    He does, you can find it numerous times in video and print. But he will call them out more than some too and can be pretty hard on them. Old school.

Funny side note on how coaches handle that, some of you may remember the old East Marion coach Leslie Peters. You always knew how good his teams were by how bad he bad-mouthed his players. The worse he talked about his teams, they better they were. If he was telling the media and everyone how they can't tackle, didn't know their assignments, lazy, etc., get ready for them to make a run at the state title.

vCash
    Typical Leach. It's always about him. He's that old grumpy man.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Typical Leach. It's always about him. He's that old grumpy man.
    Or maybe we're just living in a society full of py's?

vCash
    Unless you have collected the data with objective definitions of what is and isn't "praise" and "blame," and how Leach compares to a wide cross-section of other coaches and adjusted for on-field results, then this whole point is based on #feelings rather than facts. Not good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Or maybe we're just living in a society full of py's?
    Maybe, but he's a grumpy old man

vCash
    I student taught physics with the man who, in the 80s and 90s, was arguably the best and most successful physics teacher in the state of Mississippi, Paul Cuicchi at Starkville High. He had sarcastic nicknames for almost every kid -- and they loved him for it. He had absurd, tangential rhymes that he used to remind people about equations. He had extremely high, often inflexible, and seemingly grouchy demands. But everyone knew it was his way, and that he was ultimately very effective as a result of it, and that none of it was really about meanness but it was just kind of the character he played.

When my classroom education professors would tell me about the evils of being mean or sarcastic to students, I thought about how I saw Paul Cuicchi be "mean" and "sarcastic" in a way that connected with the students and undermined all of the objections from the credentialed professors.

I'm just saying that sometimes you realize someone has a schtick because they have found that it's their most effective way of connecting their personality and vision with the people they're leading, that affection/respect looks different from person to person, and that leadership is not a cookie-cutter problem.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Maybe, but he's a grumpy old man
    Not really. I know a few kids that currently play for him & they say differently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I student taught physics with the man who, in the 80s and 90s, was arguably the best and most successful physics teacher in the state of Mississippi, Paul Cuicchi at Starkville High. He had sarcastic nicknames for almost every kid -- and they loved him for it. He had absurd, tangential rhymes that he used to remind people about equations. He had extremely high, often inflexible, and seemingly grouchy demands. But everyone knew it was his way, and that he was ultimately very effective as a result of it, and that none of it was really about meanness but it was just kind of the character he played.

When my classroom education professors would tell me about the evils of being mean or sarcastic to students, I thought about how I saw Paul Cuicchi be "mean" and "sarcastic" in a way that connected with the students and undermined all of the objections from the credentialed professors.

I'm just saying that sometimes you realize someone has a schtick because they have found that it's their most effective way of connecting their personality and vision with the people they're leading, that affection/respect looks different from person to person, and that leadership is not a cookie-cutter problem.
    Excellent post.

vCash
    Beamer would have been a great fit at MSU but Cohen wanted to win the press conference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post

This and I can tell you the kids I know on the team love Leach. I'm sure some dint like him but that's with every coach, but there's a ton that love the man.

vCash
    Where can I get a good microscope?

vCash
    Moorhead was a players coach.

vCash
    Nothing wrong with being hard on players when needed but dogging them to the media is not cool. Do it in the locker room or sidelines. Not saying you have to praise them to media when they screw up but you could do it in a way that doesn't insult them.

It ain't smart, looks childish and not the best representation for your program.

Jackie was a players coach but he didn't put up with crap either.

vCash
    I've come to the conclusion that there is always going to be at least one MSU fan that is going to be upset with our coaches for "throwing players under the bus" whether that's really the case or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This and I can tell you the kids I know on the team love Leach. I'm sure some dint like him but that's with every coach, but there's a ton that love the man.
    You mean actual reality is different than fan perception? Interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that there is always going to be at least one MSU fan that is going to be upset with our coaches for "throwing players under the bus" whether that's really the case or not.
    Yeah I'm guessing some of these folks never watched any Bear Bryant halftime interviews or the old Bear Bryant shows on Sunday afternoon. He was absolutely brutal regarding how his players played. I guess we're a kinder gentler society now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    You mean actual reality is different than fan perception? Interesting.
    Startling isn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Not really. I know a few kids that currently play for him & they say differently.
    I know players on the team that feel he's outdated. I agree with them.

vCash
    It works for Saban