Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
Thing is though, Kiffin has elevated their program and will be leaving it better than we he got there. Deion is also doing the same at Jackson State. If he came to us and achieved better results than Mullen/Moorhead/Leach and left after 5 years I would take that trade.
We're basically the same program we were when Dan left. 6 wins is our floor and 10 is probably our ceiling.

Kiffin elevated their program because they were on probation. He inherited a first round talent at QB which he rode for two years and then he has an easy schedule.

My point is I think a lot of it is timing and the situation. No one wants to be the guy that follows a popular coach. Harsin is a good example I think. He was good at Boise and I think he's probably a good coach in general but he followed a guy at Auburn that won a National Championship. Then he had a bad loss to us and now he is gone.

You could say that same with Dan at Florida. He did the same as McElwain there. And then they got worse as his recruiting took over. By the same token Dan followed Croom and started to beat teams we are better than consistently. That and a couple of good seasons endeared him here. And then you have Arkansas with Pittman. He was very popular there because he looked good after Chad Morris. Had he replaced Petrino? Probably not so much.

There is just so much turnover now that it leads to volatility. Would you rather have a guy here for three years that wins 10 games the last two but then leaves and then we are 6-6 and 4-8 the next two because said coach takes his best guys in the portal and then we fire the next coach because he pulled a Moorhead or a Harsin? Leading to a rebuild? Honestly that's what some schools are choosing to do.

I think fans see Pittman or Beamer beat someone and then they see our guy maybe lose to Kentucky and they think we should be catching that lightning in the bottle.

For me, I think there is something to be said for stability. No- I don't think that we should allow a guy like Croom to have seven years to succeed. But five years is more than fair. Now if a guy does really well here and gets hired away in year three like Kiffin that's the way life goes. But I don't think that's what we should be striving for as a program either.

And there is no doubt that coaches understand the reality that I am talking about and I'm sure they analyze it before they take a job.