Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the Leach rumors are true...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    The good thing about leach is I dont think we bottom out with him. He will keep us in the 6 to 8 win range.
    The bad thing about leach is we are probably capped at the 6 to 8 win mark.
    I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong and he goes on to have his own special 2014 type season in the near future.
    I don't personally know a single State fan who is happy with the current state of our "O" and enjoys watching it. It must improve, I do not go into any game with an opponent with a pulse on "D" expecting to win. I was there, ( one of 12K or so) and our new AD also needs to improve yesterday's poor game day experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    We should pump the brakes on this kind of speculation until an announcement is made. All it does right now is turn more fans against Leach if he does return next year.
    Losing to Ole Miss 3 years in a row will do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I’m all in for Chadwell if Leach retires. He has won every where and Coastal Carolina is the best G5 team in the country this year. He would be a realistic hire for us and reminds me of the Chris Jans of football. I think he would be a perfect fit here
    No idea about Chadwell but didn't Sunbelt Billy seem like a good choice too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    No idea about Chadwell but didn't Sunbelt Billy seem like a good choice too?
    Sunbelt Billy should ask Dan how to get a gig in sports TV. His time is also short in FL. Looked down his nose on us and full of himself, but in over his head big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Sunbelt Billy should ask Dan how to get a gig in sports TV. His time is also short in FL. Looked down his nose on us and full of himself, but in over his head big time.
    Yep. He's not gonna last as long as Mullen did. Florida sucks at hiring coaches. They should be competing with and beating Georgia regularly with the talent they can get there.

vCash
    No I was never sold on him. He won there with Huds players. Chadwell built that program with his players and was picked last in the conference in 2020 and won it. They have been too at the conference since. Two totally different situations.

vCash
    Our boosters wanted Billy Napier bad when we fired moorhead.

He thought he was too good for us

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Game day experience is fantastic, all the way up to the point we do the coin toss. Then we shit the bed against LSU. Then we shit the bed against Kentucky.

It isn?t that we lost, it?s our teams shitty offense that literally is boring as shit. And it doesn?t work.

vCash
    Some around here said the same thing about Kirby in his 1st year. I’d pump the breaks judging him on Year 1.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post

The problem with 2019 was that there weren’t that many good candidates available. Ole Miss had already got Kiffin, I still think Napier is a fraud and Leach was the best option available. Clawson of course was my number 1 choice but I know he is pretty unrealistic. I think that problem existed a little bit in 2017 as well which is why we got stuck with Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post

Yeah. Those boosters and our fans would be giving him the Moorhead treatment for losing to Vanderbilt. Even in year one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    The problem with 2019 was that there weren’t that many good candidates available. Ole Miss had already got Kiffin, I still think Napier is a fraud and Leach was the best option available. Clawson of course was my number 1 choice but I know he is pretty unrealistic. I think that problem existed a little bit in 2017 as well which is why we got stuck with Moorhead.
    Hiring a good coach is difficult. Especially with how little patience there is. Almost impossible to find a good one after a successful/popular coach because one misstep seems to cause a ton of ill will and friction. Everyone wants to win immediately. It doesn't always work out like that though.

vCash
    The good thing about leach is I dont think we bottom out with him. He will keep us in the 6 to 8 win range.
    The bad thing about leach is we are probably capped at the 6 to 8 win mark.
    I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong and he goes on to have his own special 2014 type season in the near future.
    Barring us lucking up on an elite QB (like Dak) or a lot of the big dogs in the SEC being down at the same time (like 1999) we always have been and will continue to be capped at 6-8 wins. My concern is that with us falling behind with NIL and TX and OK joining the SEC that we may end up capped at 5-7 wins. Heck, if Leach somehow wins this year's Egg Bowl (which I don't expect) he will have already matched Mullen's best season at MSU outside of the 2014 year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Hiring a good coach is difficult. Especially with how little patience there is. Almost impossible to find a good one after a successful/popular coach because one misstep seems to cause a ton of ill will and friction. Everyone wants to win immediately. It doesn't always work out like that though.
    Nailed it. Instant gratification is the thing now. Imagine if Bobby Bowden or Frank Beamer tried to get a start now. It took them several years to get those
    program going. Stability means something

vCash
    I don't personally know a single State fan who is happy with the current state of our "O" and enjoys watching it. It must improve, I do not go into any game with an opponent with a pulse on "D" expecting to win. I was there, ( one of 12K or so) and our new AD also needs to improve yesterday's poor game day experience.
    I agree. Everything about the program is stagnant right now. The leach version of the air raid at state just doesnt look like the exciting offense it was at Wazzu and TT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Aight, so your top 3 are????
    It's not about who I want it's who we can get. And 1&2 aren't possible. 3 maybe possible but he has his eyes on bigger things. Whether he gets bigger or not who knows. But i don't think we would hire him. Could be wrong.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    I agree. Everything about the program is stagnant right now. The leach version of the air raid at state just doesnt look like the exciting offense it was at Wazzu and TT.
    We are limited in what we can do bc our QB has peaked & is very limited himself. Unfortunately

vCash
    That's because Will refuses to throw it deeper than 20 yards ever.

He's Leach's version of Chris Relf in some ways. I think Sawyer/Locke/Parson will likely attack deeper once they become our QB. Like the pass that Sawyer threw that got intercepted- I don't think Will would have ever even tried a pass like that. Bad play sure- but it had touch and it was obvious that Sawyer could launch a football if he wanted too. Once we move on from Will I think we will see more downfield passing.

I've had guys that are Air Raid experts tell me that we're only running about 75% of the offense and that was like 4-6 weeks ago. So I imagine we have even more with it now- we're starting to see jet sweep type plays and things like that now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It's not about who I want it's who we can get. And 1&2 aren't possible. 3 maybe possible but he has his eyes on bigger things. Whether he gets bigger or not who knows. But i don't think we would hire him. Could be wrong.
    If we did hire Deion we would probably lose him to Florida State if he worked out here. And probably be in the same situation Ole Miss is with Kiffin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If we did hire Deion we would probably lose him to Florida State if he worked out here. And probably be in the same situation Ole Miss is with Kiffin.
    Thing is though, Kiffin has elevated their program and will be leaving it better than we he got there. Deion is also doing the same at Jackson State. If he came to us and achieved better results than Mullen/Moorhead/Leach and left after 5 years I would take that trade.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.