Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If the Leach rumors are true...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Thing is though, Kiffin has elevated their program and will be leaving it better than we he got there. Deion is also doing the same at Jackson State. If he came to us and achieved better results than Mullen/Moorhead/Leach and left after 5 years I would take that trade.
    We're basically the same program we were when Dan left. 6 wins is our floor and 10 is probably our ceiling.

Kiffin elevated their program because they were on probation. He inherited a first round talent at QB which he rode for two years and then he has an easy schedule.

My point is I think a lot of it is timing and the situation. No one wants to be the guy that follows a popular coach. Harsin is a good example I think. He was good at Boise and I think he's probably a good coach in general but he followed a guy at Auburn that won a National Championship. Then he had a bad loss to us and now he is gone.

You could say that same with Dan at Florida. He did the same as McElwain there. And then they got worse as his recruiting took over. By the same token Dan followed Croom and started to beat teams we are better than consistently. That and a couple of good seasons endeared him here. And then you have Arkansas with Pittman. He was very popular there because he looked good after Chad Morris. Had he replaced Petrino? Probably not so much.

There is just so much turnover now that it leads to volatility. Would you rather have a guy here for three years that wins 10 games the last two but then leaves and then we are 6-6 and 4-8 the next two because said coach takes his best guys in the portal and then we fire the next coach because he pulled a Moorhead or a Harsin? Leading to a rebuild? Honestly that's what some schools are choosing to do.

I think fans see Pittman or Beamer beat someone and then they see our guy maybe lose to Kentucky and they think we should be catching that lightning in the bottle.

For me, I think there is something to be said for stability. No- I don't think that we should allow a guy like Croom to have seven years to succeed. But five years is more than fair. Now if a guy does really well here and gets hired away in year three like Kiffin that's the way life goes. But I don't think that's what we should be striving for as a program either.

And there is no doubt that coaches understand the reality that I am talking about and I'm sure they analyze it before they take a job.

vCash
    Leach isn't retiring. Y'all can stop that. And considering we won't be able to hire a coach til January, that's not a bad thing. If we had to hire a coach in January it would be someone with no HC experience or some really small school coach. Next year maybe he retires but it's not happening this year.

vCash
    Yeah I don't believe Leach is retiring at all. ...and we don't need him to retire this year.

We have a chance to win the egg. Hopefully Kiffen leaves and we can grab momentum. I hope all those scenarios play out. It's what we need badly right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Leach isn't retiring. Y'all can stop that. And considering we won't be able to hire a coach til January, that's not a bad thing. If we had to hire a coach in January it would be someone with no HC experience or some really small school coach. Next year maybe he retires but it's not happening this year.
    Cooter coming in with a right hook of common sense.

vCash
    The only way I change my take on that is if we hire an AD next week. �� I'm absolutely not happy with this staff but getting hung out would be worse. We can win 7 fairly easily next year with this staff.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-21-2022 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    1. Garrett Riley
    2. Lance Liepold
    3. Jeff Lebby/Kendall Briles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgPoundRock View Post
    1. Garrett Riley
    2. Lance Liepold
    Leipold is going to be the coach of Nebraska or Wisconsin soon. He wouldn't take our job.

vCash
    1. Garrett Riley
    2. Lance Liepold
    Forget 33 year old coordinators. We need an established P5 winner if we are going to break the Mullen/Leach baseline, or else be happy with what we have.

vCash
    1. Garrett Riley
    2. Lance Liepold
    Riley only has 2 years as an OC. That would be crazy dumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Riley only has 2 years as an OC. That would be crazy dumb.
    Who would be your top 3 or so realistic options if we had an opening?

We're always going to have to hire someone on the way up (or down). By the time you know with certainty they're up for the task, they'll have multiple options better than our job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Leipold is going to be the coach of Nebraska or Wisconsin soon. He wouldn't take our job.
    Nobody is breaking down Nebraska's door. Their time has passed
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    My sister was on road to Tupelo and listening to "Head to Head" or whatever they call it now. Said Richard Cross was spreading info from some State site that if we don't run the ball 20-24 times in the Egg, Coach Leach will be fired. I will be sure to count running plays.***** Cross seems somewhat hurt over Lane situation. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    My sister was on road to Tupelo and listening to "Head to Head" or whatever they call it now. Said Richard Cross was spreading info from some State site that if we don't run the ball 20-24 times in the Egg, Coach Leach will be fired. I will be sure to count running plays.***** Cross seems somewhat hurt over Lane situation. Hail State!
    Good ol dick spreading his crap. His momma named him right!

vCash
    Cross doesn't know anything about CML's situation. He is just trying to stir up crap, That 20-24 statement is one of the dumbest he has made. He just wants somebody in the know to tell him that Kiffin is staying at OM, which nobody will, and that's why he is so upset.

vCash
    Yeah. Keenum is going to be up in the stands with a ticker counting our running plays.