Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumblings and Rumors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Yep, it would be the most typical Mississippi State thing ever to do that and take the easy way out.
    1. Freeze
    2A. Dykes
    2B. Gus Bus
    3. Jamey Chadwell
    4a. Garrett Riley
    4b. Will Hall
    5. God forbid we get here… bring him back. Dan the Man. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Mullen > Gus
    Agree.

vCash
    What's the deal with Spurrier Jr? Why hasn't he had a chance to become a HC? I'm not suggesting him btw....just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Agree.
    Where does he coach next?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    The announcers are terrible. Must be the D team.

It's not just us though - the ones at the Alabama game are awful as well. They never showed a view of the stadium so they may not have any fans there either.
    Until the DOGS get REAL journalism majors in the game it will stay the same.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Where does he coach next?
    I don't know if he does tbh. He's got plenty of money. Has a great gig w espn. He does have a huge ego, so he's not taking the job at anywhere U. I won't be shocked if he coaches again. But I do think it would have to be the perfect setting.

vCash
    Lame to Auburn

Mullen to Mississippi

Imagine the heads exploding on that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Dykes would be a great fit for us. I?d take him or Gus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    I'd take Dykes in a heartbeat. I wonder why he was never on the radar after Dan? I remember that La Tech game circa 2012. He damn near out coached Mullen. I think we went to OT in that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    No HC is leaving a playoff contender to come here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'd take Dykes in a heartbeat. I wonder why he was never on the radar after Dan? I remember that La Tech game circa 2012. He damn near out coached Mullen. I think we went to OT in that one.
    It was 2011(I was there as a student) but yea, not only did Bumphis return a punt for TD in regulation, but they were also driving late in the fourth and Banks picked them off in the endzone. It was also the last time we wore black uniforms until Moorhead 2019 vs Abiliene Christian. First time Mullen got booed at State as we were heading to the locker room at halftime.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Because we remember he wasn't very good at Cal, fired and was just an off the field assistant at TCU in 2017 when we needed to replace Mullen. SMU was his best offer. Seriously doubt he would leave his home state after just 1 very good year at TCU.

vCash
    Leach hasn't looked healthy to me since he's been here. But if he was still battling any pneumonia, he wouldn't be allowed out in this weather, period. I hope he's not seriously ill. I felt like Howland was sick for a while, but who knows.

I also don't want to have to be searching for another coach right now, or anytime in the near future. It sucks for the blue bloods to do it, and it's even worse for us. That said, If this rumor is true, Gus wouldn't be on my shortlist. Retread city. Gundy has been phenomenal at OSU, but is not a fit anywhere else, and wouldn't come anyway. This means promoting Arnett, or hiring an unknown. Both are likely bad moves. The guys I might like to see, just wouldn't come here. We need to get the right AD first.

vCash
    Leach leaving at the same time as Kiffin would not be ideal for us at all. We need some stability- especially after having Moorhead for only two years. Not to mention no AD.

If we hire from within I'd go with Spurrier over Arnett.

If Benko is our new AD I bet we end up with Clay Helton if Leach retires and I think I could be Ok with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Leach leaving at the same time as Kiffin would not be ideal for us at all. We need some stability- especially after having Moorhead for only two years. Not to mention no AD.

If Benko is our new AD I bet we end up with Clay Helton if Leach retires and I think I could be Ok with that.
    Sheeeeeesh. I don’t know about that. Helton always underdelivered with better talent in a worse league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Not sure if there is another SEC team other than Vandy that would promote their WR coach to HC...that would be baffling and depressing (not to mention crippling).

We're in the SEC. We're not the Little Sisters of the Poor. We can get a decent coach. It's just all about fit, and there is definitely a bit of luck in that.

I'm also not worried about competing with OM on hiring a coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Not sure if there is another SEC team other than Vandy that would promote their WR coach to HC...that would be baffling and depressing (not to mention crippling).

We're in the SEC. We're not the Little Sisters of the Poor. We can get a decent coach. It's just all about fit, and there is definitely a bit of luck in that.

I'm also not worried about competing with OM on hiring a coach.
    I agree. I hope we don't have to look for a coach though. I've been on the give Leach 2023 train for a long time.

Coaching changes lead to making adjustments for players and that isn't always a good thing. Especially when a team returns a lot. See Joe Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Sheeeeeesh. I don’t know about that. Helton always underdelivered with better talent in a worse league.
    He certainly has no worse or a resume than Dykes.

He has a much better resume than Arnett or Spurrier.

I think he could be a good fit for our program. Has USC ties and could potentially set up our recruiting and modernize it. His OC came from Western Kentucky so he is familiar with the Air Raid which should in theory help with transition.

vCash
    What about sunny Cumbie? I havent kept up with what hes done at LA tech this year

vCash
    If Leach retires or is fired if he loses Egg Bowl i would be on a plane to Ft Worth and get Dykes whatever he wants. SEC over BIG 12 any day. And I hope TCU wins it all. Fun to watch? they play hard and are disciplined. Plus he has a pipeline in Texas like Leach. If you can win at SMU & TCU?. That?s good enough for me.