Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers versus anyone else at QB.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Will Rogers versus anyone else at QB.

I put this in a different thread, but I felt like it needed to be said again.

It really is as simple as this. We have Eastern Tennessee State this weekend. Sawyer needs to play the entire game. PERIOD. It is time to move on from Will Rogers. He is a great guy, and he battles out there, but he literally handcuffs the entire offense. I would rather lose Saturday and take a step forward with someone else than win a meaningless game where Will throws for 350 after being silent for 25 game minutes because he simply doesn't perform.

I also want to see our best WRs on the field at the same time and tell them to run Crisp 17n routes or pack your bags.

Those two things will get through to the team.

I will add this. TEMPO. I do not want a single play clock to get below 18 seconds prior to the snap. Get the play, get to the line, check out if you have to, and snap the ball. None of this wait around for the defense to get set bullshit. Also, we only sub if the ball goes out of bounds. Time to 17n nut up offense.

I don't really care who the hell plays QB. Sawyer, the Freshman, a walk on, don't care. AS long as whoever it is can physically throw a ball 28 yards down field with some zip and on target.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Being frustrated with Will is being frustrated with Leach's offense.

Will is running what he is being asked to run. The WR's are dropping way more passes than they should. Will's arm is not a rocket, but it is plenty good enough to do what Leach is asking him to run.

vCash
    I think it’s both Leach and Rogers.

The offense is frustrating, dated, and requires everything to go right.

Rogers is not going to get you beat. He protects the ball pretty well, is accurate, and a good leader. He isn’t going to win you anything, either. His arm strength really limits the offense to some capacity because he cannot zip it in tight windows. He’s very slow, too.

vCash
    If Sawyer can't get on the field and beat a team like East Tennessee we got some MAJOR problems in that QB room.

And we've gone tempo in both AU and UGA for a brief period. Then it disappears b/c Will gets the theorems and equations of what he's seeing running through his head. Leach even said after the AU game that Will just needs to run a play, don't over think it, just run it. Running an up tempo air raid style offense will catch a lot of defenses out of position. That's when you can hit a WR for 40+ yards.

vCash
    Why would we play Sawyer the whole game? That's just dumb. Let him play after we get up on them. Sawyer isn't beating out Will this or next year. Sawyer hasn't looked good. Had a lot of issues this fall.

vCash
    Regardless of who's the QB going forward, I think Sawyer should see at least 3 quarters of action this Saturday if not the whole game. Let everyone see what he's got to bring to the table and make decisions from there..

vCash
    So has no one else been developed in the QB room? What are they doing the whole practice time? If there is no competition in the QB room, then how is anyone getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Why would we play Sawyer the whole game? That's just dumb. Let him play after we get up on them. Sawyer isn't beating out Will this or next year. Sawyer hasn't looked good. Had a lot of issues this fall.

vCash
    Sawyer should play the entire second half of East Tennessee. If he only gets the last five minutes in the 4th quarter we've got a QB development problem. Sawyer has been here two years and should be pushing Will. If he can't even hold Will's jock then we've got a problem.

vCash
    So just concede the egg bowl. This is a dumb dumb thread.

vCash
    I disagree about the tempo. We need to mix some in but sometimes it's better to eat the clock like we do. It really messes with other teams offense when we eat the clock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    So has no one else been developed in the QB room? What are they doing the whole practice time? If there is no competition in the QB room, then how is anyone getting better?
    Going to see that room change after the season. I just know Sawyer has had some struggles. He's got a ways to go before spring if he's going to compete. I've heard some good things about one of the others but he's a year behind, so we'll see.
    This whole situation is a mess right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Home, some folks have already conceded it. I'm pretty damn close. I do not see winning the Egg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I disagree about the tempo. We need to mix some in but sometimes it's better to eat the clock like we do. It really messes with other teams offense when we eat the clock.
    And it also messes with Will. He has more time to think instead react.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Home, some folks have already conceded it. I'm pretty damn close. I do not see winning the Egg.
    I don't think we are winning either. However, I'm going to play my best guy to have a shot and that's Will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I think it’s both Leach and Rogers.

The offense is frustrating, dated, and requires everything to go right.

Rogers is not going to get you beat. He protects the ball pretty well, is accurate, and a good leader. He isn’t going to win you anything, either. His arm strength really limits the offense to some capacity because he cannot zip it in tight windows. He’s very slow, too.
    This is correct. Rogers won't throw to open guys downfield or can't. Leach could coach him to do so but he won't. Leach hasn't even mentioned throwing downfield.

Lets not make this harder than it is. I could make an argument it is really on Leach. He plays those that more closely are going to do what he wants and Rogers is it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    This is correct. Rogers won't throw to open guys downfield or can't. Leach could coach him to do so but he won't. Leach hasn't even mentioned throwing downfield.

Lets not make this harder than it is. I could make an argument it is really on Leach. He plays those that more closely are going to do what he wants and Rogers is it.
    I am not so sure that is correct. You remember the Auburn game last year? Our W/R's were getting open, especially Polk, and Rogers was nailing them. Led a tremendous comeback to win. Everybody seems to be blaming Will this year for our troubles. Maybe they should look at our W/R's a little. If they're not getting open, it's not much Will can do.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I am not so sure that is correct. You remember the Auburn game last year? Our W/R's were getting open, especially Polk, and Rogers was nailing them. Led a tremendous comeback to win. Everybody seems to be blaming Will this year for our troubles. Maybe they should look at our W/R's a little. If they're not getting open, it's not much Will can do.
    When was the last time Will threw a 10+ yd out?

He stopped after he was picked in the A&M game. Cause he doesn't have the arm for it. He's regressed badly.

The fade back shoulder play is almost a sure fire 15 yard penalty in 1on1 coverage. We've had plenty of that. Will hasn't throw that since Tulu dropped a TD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Being frustrated with Will is being frustrated with Leach's offense.

Will is running what he is being asked to run. The WR's are dropping way more passes than they should. Will's arm is not a rocket, but it is plenty good enough to do what Leach is asking him to run.
    Were people frustrated with Texas Techs or Washington States offenses with Leach?
    Last edited by Matt3467; 11-15-2022 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Were people frustrated with Texas Techs or Washington States offenses with Leach?
    We are last in the SEC in yards per pass attempt.

2022- 6.4
    2021- 7.0
    2020- 5.9

Washington State

2019- 8.0
    2018- 7.2
    2017- 6.7
    2016- 7.1
    2015- 6.9
    2014- 7.4

For context- Will has about 275 more passing yards than Bennett and Hooker...but throws it 16 and 20 more times per than they do
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    But we get to see the back up play!**