Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers versus anyone else at QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vindastra View Post
    If we don't have any of the backups ready in ~3 years, what's the guarantee we will have one in the next 3 years? Either Leach can develop QBs or he cannot.
    Locke has been here less than a year. Sawyer a year and a half. This day and age everyone wants a star in a snap. Not how it works. Just isn't. Not for us. We don't get 5 star guys. Hell dart is a 5 star and besides his legs is just avg. at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    The presumed answer is either he can not OR there is not enough talent in the QB room to develop. The big question is why would we trust him to try and get someone now?!!? Have to ask why he did not staff our QB room with the talent in case his chosen QB did not pan out.
    Again, Al the guys in the room are still freshmen!! Bama doesn't have a backup qb!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Locke has been here less than a year. Sawyer a year and a half. This day and age everyone wants a star in a snap. Not how it works. Just isn't. Not for us. We don't get 5 star guys. Hell dart is a 5 star and besides his legs is just avg. at best.
    His legs are a helluva lot better than WR and he wasn’t even good enough for USC. You’re saying our NIL money can’t buy a castoff QB.

vCash
    Just had a thought that made me laugh Home. We should be in the War Room. We would get this sh$t fixed.

vCash
    His legs are a helluva lot better than WR and he wasn’t even good enough for USC. You’re saying our NIL money can’t buy a castoff QB.
    I said his legs were a hell of a lot better. And he was a 5 star too. A cast off?? What good does that do you?

vCash
    Just had a thought that made me laugh Home. We should be in the War Room. We would get this sh$t fixed.
    Haha. Maybe so. It's a tough world out there

vCash
    I'd play Sawyer, or whoever the actual ****ing #2 guy is, and bring in Will only on some 3rd/4th downs the entire game. If Sawyer can't get comfortable against Tennessee Tech then we know his future lies elsewhere, and that's that. People are trying to make this difficult, it is not.

I do believe Will starts next year, and that would be the case even if Drew Brees was on the roster.

As for the Egg Bowl, I'm not sure Leach could win it even if it meant keeping his Key West address.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I'd play Sawyer, or whoever the actual ****ing #2 guy is, and bring in Will only on some 3rd/4th downs the entire game. If Sawyer can't get comfortable against Tennessee Tech then we know his future lies elsewhere, and that's that. People are trying to make this difficult, it is not.

I do believe Will starts next year, and that would be the case even if Drew Brees was on the roster.

As for the Egg Bowl, I'm not sure Leach could win it even if it meant keeping his Key West address.
    What?

Completely depends on the game situation but I suspect we will probably see Sawyer in the fourth quarter if the game goes as expected anyway. Doing what you are suggesting would be goofy.

vCash
    Again, Al the guys in the room are still freshmen!! Bama doesn't have a backup qb!!!
    I don't understand why people don't get this.

You would think after years of us having bad QB play and throwing freshmen out there with very minimal success that they would catch on.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    You either fire him or let him play who the best guy is. You are the ad, not the head coach. No ad worth a damn does that.... like I said, fire him. And he won't. He will have a year.
    If he gets his ass handed to him in the egg bowl he will not be our coach next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    If he gets his ass handed to him in the egg bowl he will not be our coach next year.
    I tend to agree.

vCash
    So you're saying brackey is going to hire our coach? We have to have a coach by early signing day. There's a good chance we don't have a ad. Think about that for a minute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't understand why people don't get this.

You would think after years of us having bad QB play and throwing freshmen out there with very minimal success that they would catch on.
    What that says is we currently do not have anyone better than what we have. And what we have is not good enough.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    So you're saying brackey is going to hire our coach? We have to have a coach by early signing day. There's a good chance we don't have a ad. Think about that for a minute.
    You know who also didn’t have an AD when they fired their head coach? Auburn. There is no rule saying we have to wait until January to hire an AD, and if we get boatraced by ole miss for the 3rd year in a row boosters that matter will demand a change happen, which will speed up a lot of things. We also hired Mike Leach a month after early signing day.
    Last edited by Jarius; 11-16-2022 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    What that says is we currently do not have anyone better than what we have. And what we have is not good enough.
    Good enough for what? Certainly Will is not good enough to keep the offense moving against a good defense with his current supporting staff. I'm not sure how much of that is on Will and how much of it is on OL and/or WRs. But only an idiot wants to be worse just because we aren't as good as we'd like to be.

We have two guys in the locker room with more natural physical ability than Will. If they can beat him out, they will.

We're probably not going to upgrade from WIll in the transfer portal unless we pitch portal QBs that we are going to kick Will to the curb if they come, which good luck with that approach. Nobody transferring is going to want to come in and compete with Will. The ones that are clearly so much better than him to not have to worry about a QB battle will be paid a lot of money to go to blue bloods, so you'd have to be promising a spot to somebody that won't clearly be better.

I do worry that Will will continue to not get better but that nobody is able to improve enough in practice to beat him. But I don't think the response to that worry is to play someobyd that's not as good or promise a comparable portal player his spot. I do think we should be giving the #2 QB snaps, but very few head coaches do that, and I'm not sure this is one of those things where coaches are doing something obviously counterproductive (like virtually never going for it on 4th down).

vCash
    We have no one on this team capable of winning games other than Will right now. And we have a lazy ass play caller in Leach who refuses to run the ball. We've simply got a damn mess, but at least that mess is capable of winning 7 games this year.

vCash
    You know who also didn’t have an AD when they fired their head coach? Auburn. There is no rule saying we have to wait until January to hire an AD, and if we get boatraced by ole miss for the 3rd year in a row boosters that matter will demand a change happen, which will speed up a lot of things. We also hired Mike Leach a month after early signing day.
    You know who has had an ad in place looking for a coach?? Auburn. The situations are nothing alike. And no we don't have to wait til Jan for an ad. However we would have to have one in place by thanksgiving at the latest to get on w a football search and have a staff in place to try to salvage a signing class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Good enough for what? Certainly Will is not good enough to keep the offense moving against a good defense with his current supporting staff. I'm not sure how much of that is on Will and how much of it is on OL and/or WRs. But only an idiot wants to be worse just because we aren't as good as we'd like to be.

We have two guys in the locker room with more natural physical ability than Will. If they can beat him out, they will.

We're probably not going to upgrade from WIll in the transfer portal unless we pitch portal QBs that we are going to kick Will to the curb if they come, which good luck with that approach. Nobody transferring is going to want to come in and compete with Will. The ones that are clearly so much better than him to not have to worry about a QB battle will be paid a lot of money to go to blue bloods, so you'd have to be promising a spot to somebody that won't clearly be better.

I do worry that Will will continue to not get better but that nobody is able to improve enough in practice to beat him. But I don't think the response to that worry is to play someobyd that's not as good or promise a comparable portal player his spot. I do think we should be giving the #2 QB snaps, but very few head coaches do that, and I'm not sure this is one of those things where coaches are doing something obviously counterproductive (like virtually never going for it on 4th down).
    Everything he said

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Harsin was fired literally 25 seconds after Cohen was hired.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Again, I don't really care if we lose both of the remaining games this season. Now is the time, to take the following 3 games and spring to get something better in the works. Meaningful game snaps with the first string players in are a must. Leach does not play the backup, even when up 30pts.

So there are only two options.
    1. Will finishes out the year going 7-6, is the only one we have with starting experience, and because of that he is pretty much guaranteed our starting position next year to an amazing best case scenario 8-4 regular season record.

2. We bench Will immediately, turn over the offense to Sawyer or whoever else and let them get 3 games experience in 3 games that have no bearing on us getting to Atlanta. We can lose all 3 and be exactly as close to atlanta as we are right now. This experience could give Sawyer or whoever the experience to challenge Rogers next year for the starting position. At that point, we know Rogers cannot get to Atlanta, maybe the new guy could. Either way, why waste an entire year for nothing.
    Downvotes_Hype