Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves offseason thread

vCash
    Obviously the hot spring was an aberration. Ozuna is more terrible than ever. It?s about time for the Braves to eat that contract.

Still not sure what we are gonna get from Rosario. But you can?t have zero offense from Ozuna.

Murphy or TDA can cover the DH spot 4-5 days a week. Gotta figure out LF and say adios to Ozuna NOW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyDog View Post
    Obviously the hot spring was an aberration. Ozuna is more terrible than ever. It?s about time for the Braves to eat that contract.

Still not sure what we are gonna get from Rosario. But you can?t have zero offense from Ozuna.

Murphy or TDA can cover the DH spot 4-5 days a week. Gotta figure out LF and say adios to Ozuna NOW.
    Probably. His bb rate is back in line with 2019 and 2020 though, so I wouldn't cut him just yet.

vCash
    I have traded Ozuna 2 years in a row on The Show so it can be done. Just saying

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I have traded Ozuna 2 years in a row on The Show so it can be done. Just saying
    Nobody is going to take on Ozuna's contract so the choices would be to either dump him and eat the money or take on someone else's trash. The Gnats wouldn't even move Corbin for Ozuna last year so I don't think he's worth a thing at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Arcia's defense is about average. It was strong early in his career but isn't any longer. But, he's not really a problem there, and if he hits .250 with some pop, as an MLB SS right now, that's actually decent offense and provides value with the bat. If he can give us about what he did last year over a full season, he's easily worth his contract and provides a serviceable SS.
    While I agree he's not Dansby defensively, he's been pretty slick so far and made some fine plays. I agree with you if he keeps playing like he's been playing he's definitely worth the money and gives us decent ss.

vCash

I agree. I think long term, Vaughn Grissom needs to become an outfielder and play in LF.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I agree. I think long term, Vaughn Grissom needs to become an outfielder and play in LF.
    Grissom is most valuable as an IF. His exit velocity is below MLB avg, so not sure he has the stroke for an everyday LF. I think the braves should try to make him a Chris Taylor clone... play him all over the diamond.

ETA... of course with his supporting team, a light hitter in LF is probably ok. Until we're sure he can't be an everyday SS though, I would keep him there. I have my doubts though
    Last edited by msstate7; 04-06-2023 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Grissom is most valuable as an IF. His exit velocity is below MLB avg, so not sure he has the stroke for an everyday LF. I think the braves should try to make him a Chris Taylor clone... play him all over the diamond.

ETA... of course with his supporting team, a light hitter in LF is probably ok. Until we're sure he can't be an everyday SS though, I would keep him there. I have my doubts though
    Yea, he could be ok for this season, but AA is going to have to figure out the position much better than he has the last few years. He got enamored by Ozuna's hot bat in a short season, and then with Eddie's flash in the pan postseason.

The Braves would be fine with a LFer performing at league below average. Unfortunately, the last season+ they are getting league worst. Joc or Duvall can't hit their weight average-wise but both can put up 20-30 HR and 70-100 RBI. AA definitely has missed on this position the past couple of years. Lucky for him, Michael Harris took a LOT of pressure off and saved the Braves from having 2 terrible OF positions.

vCash
    It's a good sign when you look like the BNBs and throw out a guy at home. If you missed it Riley missed a pop fly and Rosario pick it up and throw out Goldsmitt at home.

https://youtu.be/hs57NFwed7E?t=279

vCash
    Umm how about Arcia now!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Umm how about Arcia now!!!
    Kids playing well!

vCash
    Sickening to see Duvall atop the leaderboard in most offensive categories in the AL right now. No doubt he will cool off but he?s only costing the Red Sox $7mill.

Braves currently have around $29.5 mill tied up in LF with Ozuna/Rosario/Pillar and aren?t getting even 20% of his production.

Bryan Reynolds also leading the NL in homers. He?s a pipe dream though I?m sure.

vCash
    Sickening to see Duvall atop the leaderboard in most offensive categories in the AL right now. No doubt he will cool off but he?s only costing the Red Sox $7mill.

Braves currently have around $29.5 mill tied up in LF with Ozuna/Rosario/Pillar and aren?t getting even 20% of his production.

Bryan Reynolds also leading the NL in homers. He?s a pipe dream though I?m sure.
    Reynolds close to extension with pirates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    While I agree he's not Dansby defensively, he's been pretty slick so far and made some fine plays. I agree with you if he keeps playing like he's been playing he's definitely worth the money and gives us decent ss.
    Dansby was my guy (he is now dead to me), and to see how he worked to improve his defense from a borderline liability in 2016-17 to a Gold Glove season last year was damned impressive.
    Arcia is perfectly fine. It would be nice if he hit more like he did in '17. He has started out pretty good so far.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Shushter is not ready for the big time. He needs at least another half season in the minors.

At this point you gotta roll with Elder and see if Soroka can make his way back.

vCash

We also had Duvall last year and he didn?t give us 20% of the production.

vCash
    Mets and Phillies are still in worse shape, but the injuries and ineffective bats are starting to have an effect. Hilliard and Pillar are doing all they can but with Harris out, the bottom of the lineup is awful.

Ozuna and Rosario aren?t hitting the weight of a toddler, and Arica?s bat is starting to disappear. It may be getting close to Grissom time and let Shewmake have all the at bats and time at SS in Gwinnett.

vCash
    Mets and Phillies are still in worse shape, but the injuries and ineffective bats are starting to have an effect. Hilliard and Pillar are doing all they can but with Harris out, the bottom of the lineup is awful.

Ozuna and Rosario aren?t hitting the weight of a toddler, and Arica?s bat is starting to disappear. It may be getting close to Grissom time and let Shewmake have all the at bats and time at SS in Gwinnett.
    Shewmake is in Gwinnett for a reason; he isn't at all ready. He wasn't ready to leave Pearl when they sent him up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Shewmake is in Gwinnett for a reason; he isn't at all ready. He wasn't ready to leave Pearl when they sent him up.
    I agree. That?s why I said let him have all the at bats and PT at SS for the season in AAA and let him mature.

Braves are in a position now that they pretty much have to bring Grissom back for his bat because Eddie and Marcel absolutely stink.

vCash
    I agree. That?s why I said let him have all the at bats and PT at SS for the season in AAA and let him mature.

Braves are in a position now that they pretty much have to bring Grissom back for his bat because Eddie and Marcel absolutely stink.
    I think it's always been the plan to give Ozuna, and to a lesser extent Rosario, the month of April or so to see if they have enough left to be worth not cutting bait. It's only April 10th.