Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves offseason thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I love Dansby and is a great SS but I have trouble with players best offensive numbers occurring during their free agent season. Do we want to be paying a 37-38 year old SS over $20 MIL per season? I don't think we can and try to sign Fried to an extension. I also think we don't really want to go over on the luxury tax. I do worry about the clubhouse though.
    Letting Freddie walk made me think that they were surely all in on dansby. So at this point I don’t expect dansby walking to mean fried will get signed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Letting Freddie walk made me think that they were surely all in on dansby. So at this point I don’t expect dansby walking to mean fried will get signed.
    Supposedly fried isn't open to an extension. He wants to hit the market

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Supposedly fried isn't open to an extension. He wants to hit the market
    There ya go…won’t be signing him either

vCash
    Oh maybe not and I actually think there is some truth that we may try to move him before that point.

vCash
    There ya go…won’t be signing him either
    I'm sure AA would've loved to have all 3 long term, but if the price isn't right, it isn't right. AA has a great cord locked up for the next 6 years. I really don't see how we can not love the guy

vCash
    TDA is probably the biggest leader of positional guys. Morton on the pitching side. Both are back.

And albies is a leader on the team.

Swanson at 8 years is a mistake imo. The braves offered 6 years 140 million supposedly. That's more than fair. Just bc the padres, Phillies, and giants lost their minds, it doesn't mean the braves should
    Apparently, d'Arnaud is a big leader on the team, and they are grooming him to move into management when he hangs them up.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Cohen really rage spent and is still trying to throw more money around.

This is gonna blow up spectacularly for us. Again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Cohen really rage spent and is still trying to throw more money around.

This is gonna blow up spectacularly for us. Again.
    Mets will be good.
    Phillies will be good.
    Braves will be good.
    Gonna be a great race.

vCash
    7 years $177 Mil full no trade for Dansby from the Cubs.

vCash
    Still need to move Ozuna.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    Still need to move Ozuna.
    No one will take him. Just gotta hope he starts hitting again

vCash
    No one will take him. Just gotta hope he starts hitting again
    Yeah, can't do anything with him and his deal has cost us re-signing Freddie or Dansby. AA has made a lot of good moves but that sure a hell wasn't one. Lol.

vCash
    Roll with Grissom/Arcia at SS.

Go get a LF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

Go get a LF
    I agree. Gotta feeling it will be duvall/grossman/Michael Taylor as the RH platoon to go with Rosario though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post

Go get a LF
    I'm thinking slide Albies back to SS. Easier to find a 2B. Arcia is nothing but a backup, and Grissom is not ready. Expect a trade. Or even a middling FA, like Andrus, is much better than VG/OA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    I'm thinking slide Albies back to SS. Easier to find a 2B. Arcia is nothing but a backup, and Grissom is not ready. Expect a trade. Or even a middling FA, like Andrus, is much better than VG/OA.
    That would be great if Ozzie can handle it. He seems to have a weak arm and long motion though.

Jose iglesias is another decent option.

I wish we could swing a trade for Ahmed Rosario with one of Shuster/Ian/elder. Only 1 year of control left for Rosario, so it would take more than Rosario

vCash
    That would be great if Ozzie can handle it. He seems to have a weak arm and long motion though.

Jose iglesias is another decent option.

I wish we could swing a trade for Ahmed Rosario with one of Shuster/Ian/elder. Only 1 year of control left for Rosario, so it would take more than Rosario
    I would think he would handle it fine, he was expected to be at SS and Swanson at 2B when they were coming up. It was a surprise when they switched it, reportedly due to concerns that the occasional lazy throw from Albies was outweighing his otherwise superior range and arm compared to Dansby.

Andrelton Simmons is a FA. Only 33, but man he hit bad last year. I'm still fine with it on a one year deal. Gives time for VG in AAA, then reevaluate.

vCash
    Braves won’t be winning the east this yr. And prolly not in the postseason. Had a chance to reel of a 2 outta 5, 3 outta 7 type run but AA or higher ups wonts allow it to happen. The way Freddie and dansby were handled sheds a negative light on the front office IMO.

It appears they are looking at money and analytics more than locker room value. Which is unfortunate because with the way snit manages the locker room aspect plays a bigger role. I’ll gladly be wrong about this but I don’t have high hopes. At least they did get one championship outta the deal.

Why lock up albies, acuna, Harris with affordable deals to then NOT turn that into dansby or Freddie long term? Not to mention losing fried after this yr.

vCash
    Braves won?t be winning the east this yr. And prolly not in the postseason. Had a chance to reel of a 2 outta 5, 3 outta 7 type run but AA or higher ups wonts allow it to happen. The way Freddie and dansby were handled sheds a negative light on the front office IMO.

It appears they are looking at money and analytics more than locker room value. Which is unfortunate because with the way snit manages the locker room aspect plays a bigger role. I?ll gladly be wrong about this but I don?t have high hopes. At least they did get one championship outta the deal.

Why lock up albies, acuna, Harris with affordable deals to then NOT turn that into dansby or Freddie long term? Not to mention losing fried after this yr.
    I don't know, I think they have done a pretty good job outside of the Ozuna deal. That's what hurt us trying to keep Freddie or Dansby. Even if that was off the books we couldn't have kept both and stayed below the luxury tax. Which means more to the Braves for the international pool that effected us for a long while.

ETA. We also locked up Riley and Olson long term.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 12-19-2022 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    Braves won’t be winning the east this yr. And prolly not in the postseason. Had a chance to reel of a 2 outta 5, 3 outta 7 type run but AA or higher ups wonts allow it to happen. The way Freddie and dansby were handled sheds a negative light on the front office IMO.

It appears they are looking at money and analytics more than locker room value. Which is unfortunate because with the way snit manages the locker room aspect plays a bigger role. I’ll gladly be wrong about this but I don’t have high hopes. At least they did get one championship outta the deal.

Freddie and Swanson are 2 different cases. Freddie screwed Freddie by having the wrong agent - who he subsequently fired after he found out he basically withheld the Braves offer.
    I say this with all due respect to Dansby - he's one of my favorites, he went to the same high school I went to and his grandmother was my kindergarten teacher - he is an imminently replaceable player statistically. It took him until age 27 before he really had what I would call an impact season. And, at 29, a 7 year contract at that $177m looks to me like a risk for a guy who's career profile looks like Ian Desmond. I also don't know that he has been a clubhouse leader. Everything I have read says that Freddie was the guy, and in his void, Travis D'Arnaud actually took some reigns last season.

AA has made some great moves and put the Braves on a sustainable winning path. He has earned my trust for now.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18