Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pine Box Part 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I would have hated to have had Croom or JoMo in an 8 to 10 deal unless you have the buyout heavily in your favor.
    Amen. I'm a fan of the 4 year contract limits. Face it, the schools in Mississippi will always be stepping stones for coaches that get poached by blue bloods. The only coach who wouldn't use us or OM as a stepping stone is a coach that is truly committed to that school regardless of money or other opportunities, which I would say is pretty rare. So you either get a coach that doesn't care about a 10 year contract because he's fully committed or you get stuck with a coach undeserving of a 10 year contract because he's not good enough to get poached. Any elite coach isn't going to stay at a Mississippi school whether we can match contract terms or not when a blue blood comes calling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylesandi338 View Post
    Kiffin not accepting Ole miss offer immediately speaks VOLUME!!
    Yeah, he shopping ala Mullen.

Which means egg bowl could get interesting. Remember MSU having better teams laying the egg with Mullen not engaged?

vCash
    We’ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

We are not a stepping stone
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yeah, he shopping ala Mullen.

Which means egg bowl could get interesting. Remember MSU having better teams laying the egg with Mullen not engaged?
    I wish they could experience an Egg where the rumors were flying hot and heavy they were losing their coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We’ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

Also, McMahon was going back "home" considering he grew up in Jacksonville. Not sure how many other coaches would really leave MSU baseball. Certainly not the best job before because of scholarship limitations and NIL now, but pretty much a terminal job.

We're not a "terminal" job in Football or men's basketball, but there are only maybe a dozen? a dozen and a half? schools that can really poach from us. Just too few coaches are going to do well enough anywhere to get thsoe jobs and there is a lot of luck involved as far as being on a good stretch at the right time when the right job comes open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think Sumlin got a 100% guarantee? I think he was the first one I remember, assuming I actually remember that correctly.

And to nit pick, Ole Miss wouldn't have to go to $15M to match the contract value. $15M guaranteed per year for 4 years is a much higher value contract than $10M guaranteed per year over 6 years, even though the total guaranteed money is the same. That two years is a huge difference.

What the per year number would need to be to make that 4 year contract the same value as a 6 year contract will differ by coach, but I think it's closer to $10M than $15M usually. And I think this is why you see MSU extending a coach out to 4 years pretty much every year unless something is wrong. Extending the contract out to 4 years each year basically turns our 4 year contract into a 5 year contract. And if they don't tank, it makes a six year contract relatively likely. Certainly a far cry from a guarantee, but it probably helps on the margins.
    Fair enough. With the rumor that ole miss offered 9.5 per year, the likelihood is that the annual amount would be about the same at Auburn (though it could very well be more), but longer. That's the more realistic scenario anyway.

vCash
    We?ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

Point being when it comes to football, if a coach is winning at an elite level, I don?t see them sticking around Starkville if a blue blood comes calling. Aka a stepping stone

I?d attribute your statement to our lack of overall football success historically rather than coaches never choosing to leave

vCash

Sure we are. The reason coaches haven't jumped ship from us and them is because most have sucked, had baggage and were subsequently fired. We are also a stepping stone for ADs if you haven't noticed

vCash
    My shark friends are leaving now for fayetteville. say they are going to at least see kiffin coach 2 more games.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    My shark friends are leaving now for fayetteville. say they are going to at least see kiffin coach 2 more games.......
    When he loses his last 2 games there, it won't sting as bad when he leaves. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    Amen. I'm a fan of the 4 year contract limits. Face it, the schools in Mississippi will always be stepping stones for coaches that get poached by blue bloods. The only coach who wouldn't use us or OM as a stepping stone is a coach that is truly committed to that school regardless of money or other opportunities, which I would say is pretty rare. So you either get a coach that doesn't care about a 10 year contract because he's fully committed or you get stuck with a coach undeserving of a 10 year contract because he's not good enough to get poached. Any elite coach isn't going to stay at a Mississippi school whether we can match contract terms or not when a blue blood comes calling.
    It happens but not very often at all. The one that comes to mind is Frank Beamer at Va Tech, and in basketball Izzo at Michigan State (I suppose they're blueblood in basketball, but still not a UK or Duke). Vaught stayed at Ole Miss a long time but I don't think coaches moved around back then like they do now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I wish they could experience an Egg where the rumors were flying hot and heavy they were losing their coach.
    Like when Mullen left? He was pretty much mentally in Gainsville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Also, McMahon was going back "home" considering he grew up in Jacksonville. Not sure how many other coaches would really leave MSU baseball. Certainly not the best job before because of scholarship limitations and NIL now, but pretty much a terminal job.

We're not a "terminal" job in Football or men's basketball, but there are only maybe a dozen? a dozen and a half? schools that can really poach from us. Just too few coaches are going to do well enough anywhere to get thsoe jobs and there is a lot of luck involved as far as being on a good stretch at the right time when the right job comes open.
    Pat got tired of hearing "Ron would have done this".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Like when Mullen left? He was pretty much mentally in Gainsville.
    Yep, yucking it up with Coach Man-Titties while his starting QB was on the ground writhing in pain with his foot turned 180 degrees the opposite way.

Of course Mullen checked out on plenty of EBs. Nobody wanted him in '16 and we skull dragged their asses.

vCash

Who is the other besides Mullen? I only remember him but you said 40 years so it could be someone before 1996 when I started following State in sports as a kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Who is the other besides Mullen? I only remember him but you said 40 years so it could be someone before 1996 when I started following State in sports as a kid.
    Pat McMahon. Left MSU baseball to coach UF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    When he loses his last 2 games there, it won't sting as bad when he leaves. Lol
    Sounds about right. I think Arkansas physically beats them up. I think several of their players are going to be on injured reserve after this one. Boss Tittman is playing for bowl eligibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Sounds about right. I think Arkansas physically beats them up. I think several of their players are going to be on injured reserve after this one. Boss Tittman is playing for bowl eligibility.
    Yea. While ole miss "might" beat Arkansas, it's gonna get real physical.

vCash
    Marcello was on with Cross this afternoon. Dick is getting kinda short with these guys. He's pissed about something.

Marcello said if it's Kiffin the news will start officially breaking around the Egg, maybe before or after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Marcello was on with Cross this afternoon. Dick is getting kinda short with these guys. He's pissed about something.

Marcello said if it's Kiffin the news will start officially breaking around the Egg, maybe before or after.

I think Marcello was just telling Cross in a subtle way to be prepared of hearing something around or before the Egg Bowl. I think Marcello has good sources on this one. I think Cross doesn't want to hear anything about Kiffin to Auburn, and wants somebody to tell him Kiffin is staying at OM.