Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pine Box Part 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Rumor from an Auburn guy at work is that Kiffin is getting somewhere around 10 years and $120 Mil. If that is even remotely true then Ole Miss has no chance to keep him.

The state of Mississippi needs to do something or us and Ole Miss will always be a stepping stone job.
    Yeah, one of us could have Jimbo locked in for 9 more years, never mind.***** I gotta add, Croom or JoMO in a 10 year deal.** Better get a good buyout or protections for the school in any contract, which seems almost impossible in today's big $, big name coach, big agent world.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 11-17-2022 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    It's my understanding that Dart can transfer and play immediately without penalty if the HC leaves regardless of whether he follows the coach to the same school
    Correct my good sir

Updated transfer portal rules in 2020 stated that a UnderGraduate that has already used one transfer request, can only transfer before he graduates IF his head coach is either fired or leaves for another job.

If that happens, the entire team that has eligibility left can transfer anywhere in the country they want to transfer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    If that happens, the entire team that has eligibility left can transfer anywhere in the country they want to transfer.
    Who would want to, though? I mean, have you seen the Grove?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Who would want to, though? I mean, have you seen the Grove?**
    AU has nice big trees at Toomer's Corner. Wait......... Nevermind, don't want Arbor Society on my case.******
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 11-17-2022 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    AU has nice big trees at Toomer's Corner. Wait......... Nevermind, don't want Arbor Society on my case.******
    Damn you.

Outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Rumor from an Auburn guy at work is that Kiffin is getting somewhere around 10 years and $120 Mil. If that is even remotely true then Ole Miss has no chance to keep him.

The state of Mississippi needs to do something or us and Ole Miss will always be a stepping stone job.
    I have never heard of the contract term being an issue with any coach.

Did you really want Coenz to have the authority to be negotiating 10 year deals?
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Ten year deals is where Jimmy Sexton gets your ass over a barrel. (See Jimbo Fisher.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I have never heard of the contract term being an issue with any coach.

Did you really want Coenz to have the authority to be negotiating 10 year deals?
    You don't think coaches care about having more guaranteed versus less?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You don't think coaches care about having more guaranteed versus less?
    I've just never heard a coach turn down a job because the contract wasn't long enough. Mississippi's contract laws are like a boogeyman that fans talk about, but doesn't really have an effect. At least I cant think of an example.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    I've just never heard a coach turn down a job because the contract wasn't long enough. Mississippi's contract laws are like a boogeyman that fans talk about, but doesn't really have an effect. At least I cant think of an example.
    It can never be too long or too big.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    It can never be too long or too big.
    LOL, nope, not going there.

vCash
    At the end of the day, it all ends with guaranteed money. Ole Miss can tell Kiffin that they promise to extend him but 2 seasons of 3-9 and losing the Egg Bowl gets him fired.

There isn't anyone on this board that takes 4 years $40 Mil over 10 years $100 Mil unless you just love gambling.

vCash
    It probably doesn't come into play that often. Neither State nor Ole Miss is going to lose a coach to a school that's not a blue blood or just a notch below them (e.g., UTenn or Auburn) unless a relationship has soured. And at the end of the day, the coaches are going to go there because they want the resources to win a championship. I will say in competing with a place like Auburn, which is nto a true blue blood and has to deal with expectations of anybody that doesn't dethrone Saban will get fired, being able to offer a longer contract could be the deciding factor. If Auburn offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed, if Mississippi offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed and a buyout on Kiffin's side that leaves him teh flexibility to jump relatively painlessly if a true blue blood comes calling, that could be a deciding factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It probably doesn't come into play that often. Neither State nor Ole Miss is going to lose a coach to a school that's not a blue blood or just a notch below them (e.g., UTenn or Auburn) unless a relationship has soured. And at the end of the day, the coaches are going to go there because they want the resources to win a championship. I will say in competing with a place like Auburn, which is nto a true blue blood and has to deal with expectations of anybody that doesn't dethrone Saban will get fired, being able to offer a longer contract could be the deciding factor. If Auburn offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed, if Mississippi offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed and a buyout on Kiffin's side that leaves him teh flexibility to jump relatively painlessly if a true blue blood comes calling, that could be a deciding factor.
    Ole miss just offered 9.5 per year yesterday according to supertalk

Auburn will probably go up to 11 per year 7-8 year contract

vCash
    If nothing else, this will put a strain on olemiss’ pocket book or several of their boosters will just ratchet up the fraud.

vCash
    Kiffin not accepting Ole miss offer immediately speaks VOLUME!!

vCash
    Fully guaranteed contracts for coaches are a newer market dynamic. There used to be a buyout less than the full value of the contract, but guys like Jimbo and Mel Tucker getting these monster guaranteed deals has changed that.

If Auburn offers 10 million per for 6 years guaranteed, ole miss would have to offer 15 per year to match the contract value. They just can't compete. Same would be true for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Fully guaranteed contracts for coaches are a newer market dynamic. There used to be a buyout less than the full value of the contract, but guys like Jimbo and Mel Tucker getting these monster guaranteed deals has changed that.

If Auburn offers 10 million per for 6 years guaranteed, ole miss would have to offer 15 per year to match the contract value. They just can't compete. Same would be true for us.
    I think Sumlin got a 100% guarantee? I think he was the first one I remember, assuming I actually remember that correctly.

And to nit pick, Ole Miss wouldn't have to go to $15M to match the contract value. $15M guaranteed per year for 4 years is a much higher value contract than $10M guaranteed per year over 6 years, even though the total guaranteed money is the same. That two years is a huge difference.

What the per year number would need to be to make that 4 year contract the same value as a 6 year contract will differ by coach, but I think it's closer to $10M than $15M usually. And I think this is why you see MSU extending a coach out to 4 years pretty much every year unless something is wrong. Extending the contract out to 4 years each year basically turns our 4 year contract into a 5 year contract. And if they don't tank, it makes a six year contract relatively likely. Certainly a far cry from a guarantee, but it probably helps on the margins.

vCash
    4 years is a long enough contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    4 years is a long enough contract.
    Especially when it gets rolled over to 4 again after each season. I would have hated to have had Croom or JoMo in an 8 to 10 deal unless you have the buyout heavily in your favor.