Thread: Sunday Morning QB- A Tale of Two Cities Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- A Tale of Two Cities Edition

1. After spending 11 hours of my Friday/early Saturday on a bus ride to New Orleans and back, I knew it would affect my Saturday of college football. After a couple of hours of sleep- the alarm went off for that 11am kickoff. I knew being tired was going to limit the cook as well, so I went with the crockpot to BBQ some chicken. I'd like to thank UPig and LSU for playing a snoozer allowing me to get that nap for the entire 2nd half of their game.

2. In one city Saturday you had SEC Nation and the excitement of #9 playing on the road against Elitedawg's most overrated team in the entire country- #11 Mississippi. Earlier this week I posted that Mississippi will scare them and then Bammer would prevail. It played out pretty much like that altho I did not think the last play of the game would decide the outcome. I've been saying that Mississippi is not overrated and a solid football team. They proved it Saturday yet again. Their fumble before half changed the game. Also question Kiffin going away from his TB on that last series of downs with the game on the line. I get the "he was tired" factor- but you got to go to him at least once. Hindsight is 20/20 but go with the guy that brung ya is a staple of playcalling.

3. In the other city- you had the nation's #1 team invading beautiful StarkVegas. A place where battle tested teams have gone to die in 2022. A&M? Crushed. UPig? Roasted. Memphis and Bowling Green? Hunted down and slain. And who can forget that just last week- mighty Auburn was taken down in overtime. StarkVegas is known for its loud obnoxious fans clanging those bells to drive opponents crazy- and Saturday night those bells were ringing.

4. Our offensive genius had us ready to play- but that Jawja D just got lucky. We banked one 1st down on our 1st 4 possessions with a turnover on downs. Jawja scored on their 1st possession and also added a FG for a 10-0 lead. Then the Airbone had had enough and marched 14 plays for a FG. Jawja added a TD and we got a FG for 17-12 halftime deficit thanks to the punt return. (edited for the reminder)

5. Amazingly, neither of the 50/50 calls went our way in the 1st half. The roughing call was one of those that is called more times than not to protect QB's. I can see it not being called as the DE was engaged with our guy and then spun off. However its a call made alot on Saturdays and Sundays each weekend. Then not long after the State D steals the ball from a Jawja RB as he is being pushed back. Again- another 50/50 call. Yeah his progress was stopped but no there had not been a whistle. Those calls didnt decide the game but it's not surprising that we got neither call. Especially the fumble steal. That should have been ruled down and gone to replay. They took the forward progress approach to try and cover for them not seeing the steal being made.

6. Stetson Bennett is who most State fans want Will Rogers to be. A little undersized but is a winner. The difference in them is that Bennett can use his legs some to make some plays when things break down. Plus his arm is a little stronger to get the ball downfield. Our D did a great job of picking off a couple of passes. It's hard to say we played good D when giving up 468 yards and 45 points- but we really did. The only thing we did badly defensively was against the play pass inside the 5. I get that they are physical and such- but on 3rd and 2 after stuffing them we had to know the play pass was coming. We didnt and left the TE wide ass open.

7. Good job against the run by our D. While the overall numbers dont look it due to MaHonkey's 70 yard run on the reverse- the other 32 runs had them at 109 yards. That's good defense. Even on the reverse with MaHonkey- Banks 2.0 forced it back inside but Matthews was unable to make the tackle unblocked. Cant have that happen.

8. Offensively? Another sub-par performance. As Seven posted- we have struggled offensively really the last 4 weeks. Even the Auburn performance last week left alot to be desired. We finished with 308 total yards and 73 of that was attained on the last drive with Jawja in straight up prevent. So we were at 235 yards with 2 mins left in the game. Bad offense outside of the chunk play to Walley before half to get us a FG. Leach's offenses in other conferences had him among the best. In the SEC? Strictly average. We are 8th in the SEC in total offense- making us the best of the bottom half of the league. Scoring-wise we are 7th thanks to a TD on D, along with KO and punt returns for TD's lately to boost it. We had 139 yards at half- with 47 coming on 1 play. That tells you all you need to know. This offense continues to struggle against defenses with a pulse. This is the offense needed to beat the big boys???? We still posting that garbage on here? Have you guys seen running QB's giving Bama problems the last 2 weeks or is that just me?

9. A positive was the pass pro. I was expecting 4-5 sacks against their front but we did a good job protecting for the most part. Rogers got the ball out quick because you know he had been watching film but we did a good job upfront. Kirby ran alot of 3 man front in the 1st Q but he just couldnt stand it. Went back to a 4-1 look in the box for most of the rest of the game. We caught them in Man a few times to make some plays but not enough to sustain drives. Had some drops and some DB separated incompletions, but as I seem to have to say each week- those are going to happen when a team throws 50-plus passes per game. It happens to teams that throw it 27 times a game. We just notice it more with 55 passes a game. That's not going to change no matter who we trot out at WR.

10. Yesterday was a money maker as college football went back to being predictable. The Bammer/Jawja/Fla teaser did it's job as did the TCU/Mich/O-St one. Kids gonna love that bowl of queso at Superior Grill this week as opposed to the cup. Makes for fun memories.

HailState
    Last edited by Coach34; 11-13-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    17-12 halftime score

vCash
    Let's bring back Mullen hell. I think he'd do better now with the way the portal is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Let's bring back Mullen hell. I think he'd do better now with the way the portal is
    I love mullen more than his mom (haha), but I have a hard time seeing him back. Some humble pie at Florida would probably make him much more engaged and happy to be here though.

vCash
    I've NEVER been in favor of Mullen returning. He had gotten fat, dumb, and lazy. But..... you have a good point. He doesn't have to recruit. He would have to utilize the portal.

Still probably a terrible idea. Lol

vCash
    Our next coach needs to be heavily involved in recruiting.

vCash
    I still see it as the offense to beat the better teams, if we keep improving position players and a QB that can simply escape pressure.
    We had guys open. We had guys drop passes including a TD pass.
    And the critical calls that went Georgia's way helped them maintain a scoring drive.

Coach, enjoy your Sunday posts, and we clearly understand your viewpoint on the offense. We missed on plays. And for all the talk by some posters about Heupel and others having a better modern version of this, we looked better than TN against Georgia.

My Sunday post - We need some upgrades - Give to the Bulldog Initiative.

vCash
    I think if Georgia played at Tennessee- you would see their O look much differently than it did in Athens

vCash
    14 designed runs for 54 yards. Almost 4 yards a carry and Marks was averaging 6 yards per carry. But we threw it 51 times.

A modified version of this offense can win with a mobile QB. 35-45 passes per game, 20-25 designed runs per game. QB running the offense takes another 3-5 runs. Roughly 60-75 plays per game.

That's what we need. And until we stretch it vertically we will never have any consistency in big plays because safeties are close and corners are pressing us and we can't get separation.

We need an updated version of this offense and someone willing to try and recruit. We need youth, some fire, and someone that is just relentless and won't accept mediocrity. Mullen had some of those characteristics. But not all. We've got to find someone that will do all that.

vCash
    34's morning after QB ********* post are more interesting than the serious ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. After spending 11 hours of my Friday/early Saturday on a bus ride to New Orleans and back, I knew it would affect my Saturday of college football. After a couple of hours of sleep- the alarm went off for that 11am kickoff. I knew being tired was going to limit the cook as well, so I went with the crockpot to BBQ some chicken. I'd like to thank UPig and LSU for playing a snoozer allowing me to get that nap for the entire 2nd half of their game.

2. In one city Saturday you had SEC Nation and the excitement of #9 playing on the road against Elitedawg's most overrated team in the entire country- #11 Mississippi. Earlier this week I posted that Mississippi will scare them and then Bammer would prevail. It played out pretty much like that altho I did not think the last play of the game would decide the outcome. I've been saying that Mississippi is not overrated and a solid football team. They proved it Saturday yet again. Their fumble before half changed the game. Also question Kiffin going away from his TB on that last series of downs with the game on the line. I get the "he was tired" factor- but you got to go to him at least once. Hindsight is 20/20 but go with the guy that brung ya is a staple of playcalling.

3. In the other city- you had the nation's #1 team invading beautiful StarkVegas. A place where battle tested teams have gone to die in 2022. A&M? Crushed. UPig? Roasted. Memphis and Bowling Green? Hunted down and slain. And who can forget that just last week- mighty Auburn was taken down in overtime. StarkVegas is known for its loud obnoxious fans clanging those bells to drive opponents crazy- and Saturday night those bells were ringing.

4. Our offensive genius had us ready to play- but that Jawja D just got lucky. We banked one 1st down on our 1st 4 possessions with a turnover on downs. Jawja scored on their 1st possession and also added a FG for a 10-0 lead. Then the Airbone had had enough and marched 14 plays for a FG. Jawja added a TD and we got a FG for 17-12 halftime deficit thanks to the punt return. (edited for the reminder)

5. Amazingly, neither of the 50/50 calls went our way in the 1st half. The roughing call was one of those that is called more times than not to protect QB's. I can see it not being called as the DE was engaged with our guy and then spun off. However its a call made alot on Saturdays and Sundays each weekend. Then not long after the State D steals the ball from a Jawja RB as he is being pushed back. Again- another 50/50 call. Yeah his progress was stopped but no there had not been a whistle. Those calls didnt decide the game but it's not surprising that we got neither call. Especially the fumble steal. That should have been ruled down and gone to replay. They took the forward progress approach to try and cover for them not seeing the steal being made.

6. Stetson Bennett is who most State fans want Will Rogers to be. A little undersized but is a winner. The difference in them is that Bennett can use his legs some to make some plays when things break down. Plus his arm is a little stronger to get the ball downfield. Our D did a great job of picking off a couple of passes. It's hard to say we played good D when giving up 468 yards and 45 points- but we really did. The only thing we did badly defensively was against the play pass inside the 5. I get that they are physical and such- but on 3rd and 2 after stuffing them we had to know the play pass was coming. We didnt and left the TE wide ass open.

7. Good job against the run by our D. While the overall numbers dont look it due to MaHonkey's 70 yard run on the reverse- the other 32 runs had them at 109 yards. That's good defense. Even on the reverse with MaHonkey- Banks 2.0 forced it back inside but Matthews was unable to make the tackle unblocked. Cant have that happen.

8. Offensively? Another sub-par performance. As Seven posted- we have struggled offensively really the last 4 weeks. Even the Auburn performance last week left alot to be desired. We finished with 308 total yards and 73 of that was attained on the last drive with Jawja in straight up prevent. So we were at 235 yards with 2 mins left in the game. Bad offense outside of the chunk play to Walley before half to get us a FG. Leach's offenses in other conferences had him among the best. In the SEC? Strictly average. We are 8th in the SEC in total offense- making us the best of the bottom half of the league. Scoring-wise we are 7th thanks to a TD on D, along with KO and punt returns for TD's lately to boost it. We had 139 yards at half- with 47 coming on 1 play. That tells you all you need to know. This offense continues to struggle against defenses with a pulse. This is the offense needed to beat the big boys???? We still posting that garbage on here? Have you guys seen running QB's giving Bama problems the last 2 weeks or is that just me?

9. A positive was the pass pro. I was expecting 4-5 sacks against their front but we did a good job protecting for the most part. Rogers got the ball out quick because you know he had been watching film but we did a good job upfront. Kirby ran alot of 3 man front in the 1st Q but he just couldnt stand it. Went back to a 4-1 look in the box for most of the rest of the game. We caught them in Man a few times to make some plays but not enough to sustain drives. Had some drops and some DB separated incompletions, but as I seem to have to say each week- those are going to happen when a team throws 50-plus passes per game. It happens to teams that throw it 27 times a game. We just notice it more with 55 passes a game. That's not going to change no matter who we trot out at WR.

10. Yesterday was a money maker as college football went back to being predictable. The Bammer/Jawja/Fla teaser did it's job as did the TCU/Mich/O-St one. Kids gonna love that bowl of queso at Superior Grill this week as opposed to the cup. Makes for fun memories.

HailState
    I see a mediocre QB who can't run and can't throw deep, breaking all kinds of records and still leaving points all over the field. The system looks pretty good to me, hope we get an elite QB to run it.

vCash
    Man we have sucked with half time adjustments. This is a sign of poor coaching. Leach is old school, he ain’t gonna change or make changes to his slow mo offense.

vCash
    You may call him MaHonkey, but he’s better than anything we’ve got.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Correct.

vCash
    If he ever comes back it better because he's cutting thru campus to get to Old Waverly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Agree. Actually, he is MaHonkey Jr as his Dad was the original MaHonkey

vCash
    Agree. Actually, he is MaHonkey Jr as his Dad was the original MaHonkey
    Do you know his dad? He didn’t play college ball to my knowledge.

vCash
    I think if Georgia played at Tennessee- you would see their O look much differently than it did in Athens
    I agree. And Hooker missed some throws that he never misses. As bad as that game looked, if hooker makes 2 good throws Tennessee still may have won.