Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The only way to close the talent gap

vCash

The only way to close the talent gap

The SEC needs to require that all NIL money given to any athlete MUST be routed through the school's official NIL fund, and harshly enforce this, no looking the other way. Then institute a "luxury tax" on the larger NIL funds, which is distributed to the smaller ones to help out.

SEC football is way more compelling than the NFL storywise, but the more equalized talent levels make individual NFL games better and more exciting on average when you don't have a strong rooting interest. Half the SEC games are essentially over before they start, but imagine if that wasn't the case.

This wouldn't completely equalize the talent since the tax rate wouldn't be 100%, and some players might take less money at a power than more at a low-power anyway, but it would close the gap quite a bit.pp

vCash
    There would be cheating even if they did that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    There would be cheating even if they did that.
    Not if the SEC put a real effort into investigating and punishing.

No NFL team cheats on the salary cap because it wouldn't be worth it, and even the "elite" NFL teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, etc., don't want to abolish the salary cap because they realize the league is better and more lucrative with it.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Nope. That is communism and I for one am against it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

No NFL team cheats on the salary cap because it wouldn't be worth it, and even the "elite" NFL teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, etc., don't want to abolish the salary cap because they realize the league is better and more lucrative with it.
    The issue is the SEC of course feels it's better to have Alabama dominate with an occasional uprising from another blue blood like LSU, Georgia, or Auburn.

vCash

Comparing rogue boosters to nfl franchises is laughable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The issue is the SEC of course feels it's better to have Alabama dominate with an occasional uprising from another blue blood like LSU, Georgia, or Auburn.
    Yep. Not only the SEC but UGA, Alabama, OhState... Michigan.... like college football just the way it is because they have a chance to win it playing inferior opponents. It is what it is at this point and I can't see it changing with the tv money involved.

The little schools need to walk away. But again.... to much money to be made. The MSUs of the world will continue to take beatings and cashing checks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Not sure if you were joking, but if you aren't, you must not like any professional sport.

Also I guarantee you Karl Marx would go on a long rant about football even under this system. Not even close to communism.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    College sports are not professional. If they were, the power 5 would be the power two and a very limited number of teams would be part of it. MSU wouldn?t make the cut.

vCash
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The NFL is the USSR because they want to put a competitive product on the field

vCash
    College sports are not professional. If they were, the power 5 would be the power two and a very limited number of teams would be part of it. MSU wouldn?t make the cut.
    Give the "Power 2" some time, but we will be a part of it because we are a top ~40 program anyway.

vCash
    I kinda like where you are going with this. But I think they need to make it better. They need to put a cap on how much a STUDENT-athlete receives per year personally I would agree with NIL money cannot exceed the total value of your full ride scholarship, you are a student first anyways right? Make it a competitive number and not outlandish. Second they need to put perimeters like if a player leaves via the portal then they prorate the money.

They have to do something along these lines to crack down on the wide west version that we have. I am not for redistribution of wealth. That never works in anything.

vCash
    Why isn’t coaches contracts now performance based I understood when coaches salaries were less than 1million but they are now being paid stupid amounts. Why not make contracts with coaches that are win loss based. If you win 7games you get 2mil if you win 8games then you get 3mil etc etc you win the SEC you get 6mil and if a Natty you get 10mil

I think it is stupid to pay a football coach 10mil a year and have a losing record. Plus no more buyout contracts. You can have 20yr contract if you want but if the university wants to fire you you don’t get millions of dollars. If a university wants to fire their coach that usually means that the coach is underperforming and has a bad win loss.

These coaches are rapeing the universities. Holding them hostages for ransom. In the real world a CEO of a company is a Perfomance based job. Just about every job in this country is performance based. Why isn’t College football?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    I am not for redistribution of wealth. That never works in anything.
    Except for every professional sport in America, but yeah.

vCash
    Not even close to communism.
    It’s the way the country is going. Long, slow decline. It’s all I could think about last night during the Patriotic halftime show. All those heroes that fought to protect what our forefathers knew could be destroyed…by what the current leaders are doing.

vCash
    Except for every professional sport in America, but yeah.
    There is a difference in a pot of money that gets distributed than say Alabama gets 10 million in NIL donations and the SEC comes in and says “nice job bama fans of contributing to your school. But the cap per year is 8 million so we will take 2 million and give it to Vandy.” No I am not for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    There is a difference in a pot of money that gets distributed than say Alabama gets 10 million in NIL donations and the SEC comes in and says “nice job bama fans of contributing to your school. But the cap per year is 8 million so we will take 2 million and give it to Vandy.” No I am not for that.
    "Nice job Cowboys fans for contributing to your team. But we are going to give some of that revenue to the Jaguars in order to have a better an more entertaining product on the field."

There's a reason the NFL gets better ratings than college football, even when college football is more interesting at the macro level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    It’s the way the country is going. Long, slow decline. It’s all I could think about last night during the Patriotic halftime show. All those heroes that fought to protect what our forefathers knew could be destroyed…by what the current leaders are doing.
    If it's any consolation, millions Americans have thought that from every single decade from the 1780s to the 2020s and every single time it's turned out they were just being dramatic.

vCash
    Wouldn't you think that those benefiting the most would have the most influential people keeping it that way.

vCash
    "Nice job Cowboys fans for contributing to your team. But we are going to give some of that revenue to the Jaguars in order to have a better an more entertaining product on the field."

There's a reason the NFL gets better ratings than college football, even when college football is more interesting at the macro level.
    Again you are trying to compare the salary cap that the NFL has to private donations of fans to a school. The NFL you can look at it as one entity broken into 32 branches. It’s all the same money and the NFL divides each branch income up to make sure everyone does well.

College hall is not that was not set up that way. Each university is its on thing. To take from one university to give to another is just not the correct course.