Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So we have two choices....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Leach is in no way equal to Mullen at this point. Mullen had us atleast knocking on the door
    Knocking on the door of what? If Leach wins the Egg Bowl and East Tennessee State he would have basically had the same season as Dan in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Knocking on the door of what? If Leach wins the Egg Bowl and East Tennessee State he would have basically had the same season as Dan in 2010.
    You are really stretching Todd. Todays SEC slate isn't near what it was in 2010-2015. And leach ain't winning the egg bowl. The sec teams we have beaten are atrocious right now.

vCash
    Leach is in no way equal to Mullen at this point. Mullen had us atleast knocking on the door
    What door did Dan have us knocking on?
    We finished higher than 4th in the West once.
    Other that 2014, we were 4th or 5th in the West every year under Mullen.

vCash
    You are really stretching Todd. Todays SEC slate isn't near what it was in 2010-2015. And leach ain't winning the egg bowl. The sec teams we have beaten are atrocious right now.
    5 of the top 11 teams in the CFB poll are in the SEC and we play 4 of them this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post
    5 of the top 11 teams in the CFB poll are in the SEC and we play 4 of them this year.
    And how many of those 4 are we gonna beat? And let's talk about the records of the sec teams we beat.... how many of them are going bowling?

vCash
    And how many of those 4 are we gonna beat? And let's talk about the records of the sec teams we beat.... how many of them are going bowling?
    We are currently 0-3 against #1, #7, & #10 with Ole Miss left to play.

Arkansas and Auburn both have a chance at bowl eligibility. A&M does not.

However, this has nothing to do with what you originally posted where you stated the SEC isn?t what it was in 2010-2015.

vCash
    The only stretch is Dan having us knocking on the door of anything.

FWIW- Neither MSU nor Ole Miss have a win over a team with six wins right now and if they beat us we would be their best win of the year won/loss wise.

vCash
    There was a time going back to Jackie Sherill & Mullen that a crowd and environment like tonight was a 75% chance for an upset/win. You could feel it in the air it was going to happen. With Leach there is no chance.

The crowd has gotten him every win this year but against good teams he's losing, no questions asked. We haven't won 1 sec road game this year and it's year 3! He's sucking the life out of the program and fans are stuck on what he used to be and Press conferences.

Go get on the booth Leach because that's all you're good for right now. Head Football coaching has passed you. He's literally worried about chairs for WR's. Dude this isn't 8th grade football! The guy is terrible and killing the program and enthusiasm towards it.

vCash
    We're going to have to actually commit to recruiting at a much higher level than we are. Period. MSU as an AD has never done that. That's the biggest reason why we are stuck at 6-8 wins.

The problem is MSU fans and the AD have always tried to "do more with less" by bringing in some football guru to outscheme the SEC with lesser talented players and that is only going to get us so far.

I think it's because pre NIL we always ended up on probation and MSU always heavily penalized itself as a reaction. This discouraged our boosters from cheating or getting organized like we could and should have. It's also the biggest reason we got behind in NIL with Cohen not having a clue what he was doing as reason 1B.

I think that instead of blowing everything up as a program every few years let's actually invest in recruiting and see what we can build. We recruit reasonably well in other sports there is no reason why we can't in football.
    ^^^^This^^^^ is probably the best solution. Plus we are not going to have an AD until Probably January.

vCash
    Amazing it is a debate between Leach vs Mullen. Why, DM is gone and want be back, Leach is our HC, nothing special to see, we have regressed badly this year. Lack of talent at the skill positioning is on Leach and staff. I for one think we could do better, we need some fire, gotta like our DC, young and aggressive, his guys play hard and he plays a lot of guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Man some of you are so brain dead it's appalling.
    Q is going down with the ship. Some of us can't find or won't look for the seat belt release on a sinking ship. I went down with the USS Howland

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I thought we were talking about if our recruiting was significantly better under specific coaches. Leach isn't a big time
    Recruiter either...so I thought you meant using the money to help us recruit. It won't increase the amount Leach puts into it, just like it wouldn't Mullen. But the money would help.

And since Mullen won 10 games and had a balanced attack with stout defenses....and Leach isn't even our best coach on the field each Saturday....I would definitely say Mullen could win much bigger than Leach if each had a top 15-20 class each year. But that's just me and I'm aware it can't be proven.
    Mullen was sooooo close to being that special coach for MSU. He showed what State is capable of if he had given more effort. Better recruiting and play calling and not job searching and he would have played in the SEC championship game a couple of times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    1. Be happy with 6-6/7-5 and continuing the bowl streak every year against someone like Miami of Ohio in the weed eater bowl. Meanwhile we continue to battle Vandy as the worst attended SEC football program, and overall enthusiasm continues to dwindle.

I know it sounds spoiled to complain about 7-5, but it is what it is. 7-5 has gotten stale. I just want us to have hope going in to big games. I can take 7-5 if we at least have a chance against the big boys. With Leach, we don't...and we won't. Argue all you want, but you know it's true.

2. Get rid of Leach/Encourage him to retire with pay....and take a chance on hiring someone that could potentially give us hope against the big boys.

I know it's risky. And it could result in Jimbo-like results. But we aren't beating LSU, Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, or Ole Miss again under Leach. Not with their current coaches. So do you risk losing the Belk bowl for a long shot chance at the Sugar?

I totally get the fear many have of going with a risky hire and potentially losing our bowl streak. I know we're poor State and it could be much worse. But how much NIL money will come in if we continue showing no ability to compete with the better teams? What is the advantage of staying at a pretty much guaranteed 6-6/7-5/8-4? These days damn near everyone goes bowling. Does anyone remember who won the Texas Bowl the last few years? Me neither.

We have to decide if we're wanting to try to compete, or if we're ok with being a 6-6 type program going forward. If you think we're going to increase our money as a 6-6/7-5 program...we're not. And yes, Ole Miss is committed and running circles around us. So are we going to get serious about football, or not? Are you good with 7-5 and a bowl while others are pumping in money to compete? You cool with pushing harder at hoops and baseball and sucking at football?

Those are the questions State fans and admin must answer. Are we all in on the #1 money maker sport, or are we too conservative (scared) to take a chance on being better? Maybe we can, maybe we can't...but as my grandpa said, "can't never could". I think we can do better. There's no way Ole Miss can consistently be top 15 taking Bama to the wire, and we have to settle for 30 point ass whippings against them. The Grove ain't that special...Oxford ain't that great....it's a commitment. A commitment we don't have. We can, we should...we don't. We would rather feel sorry for ourselves. Ole Miss is elitist, and pricks...but you can't deny their confidence, and the expectations they have. We are chicken shits with no confidence we can step up and get it done. So we settle. We settle for mediocre. We settle for a little better than average. We settle for "upper half of the league". "It's the SEC West" after all. "These teams have more money than us". "These teams have towns with more to offer". Bunch of damn excuses if you ask me.

Commit, 100%...or commit to not committing so those that want to win at a high level can commit their time and money and weekends to something or somebody that wants to succeed.
    We've been doing this for how many decades now? If we haven't been able to compete up until now we're screwed in the NIL era. The rich will get richer, meanwhile in Starkville.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    There was a time going back to Jackie Sherill & Mullen that a crowd and environment like tonight was a 75% chance for an upset/win. You could feel it in the air it was going to happen. With Leach there is no chance.

The crowd has gotten him every win this year but against good teams he's losing, no questions asked. We haven't won 1 sec road game this year and it's year 3! He's sucking the life out of the program and fans are stuck on what he used to be and Press conferences.

Go get on the booth Leach because that's all you're good for right now. Head Football coaching has passed you. He's literally worried about chairs for WR's. Dude this isn't 8th grade football! The guy is terrible and killing the program and enthusiasm towards it.
    100%!!!!! When JWS was our coach, I expected to win every time I walked in that stadium or watched on tv. Mullen had some of that feel also. Today, you already know the outcome before the game starts. No chance of winning the big games.

vCash
    Some rose colored glasses looking back at Mullen.

His recruiting was lazy and it gave us 0 chance to compete at a high level. His offense was only balanced under Dak, and he failed to turn that success into real QB talent (Fitz was a great runner but an awful QB overall). He could not keep a DC and the turnover capped our defensive potential. He had the WORST WR room in the SEC most years. He kept got awful assistants and we called them the "Country Club". That also capped our potential. He clammed up in big games, capping our potential.

Ultimately, Dan averaged like 7 wins a year. He had 1 good season and we went 10-3, loosing handily to Bama.

I do not understand how so many here are infatuated with him. He did not win big, and his recruiting/poor assistants/high DC turnover/poor skill position players/poor big game playcalling meant we had no chance to ACTUALLY win the West. But so many here make excuses like "he played a harder schedule!" even when it's pointed out we play 4 top 11 teams this year.

vCash
    1. Leach needs to make some adaptations like anyone else still using the air raid.
    2. We need a mobile QB. Right now, it feels like everything has to be perfect every play or Will gets sacked, he has to last minute dink and dunk, or throw it away. There's nothing to help a broken play. Everytime I see other SEC qbs run for 12 yards on a 3rd down it makes me sad.
    3. We desperately need WRs that can catch the ball in big games. Last year's egg bowl, Bama, last night had too many crucial drops. If we can't catch the ball in big games, it kind of defeats the purpose of the air raid.
    Last edited by ImissCityBagel; 11-13-2022 at 09:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Some rose colored glasses looking back at Mullen.

His recruiting was lazy and it gave us 0 chance to compete at a high level. His offense was only balanced under Dak, and he failed to turn that success into real QB talent (Fitz was a great runner but an awful QB overall). He could not keep a DC and the turnover capped our defensive potential. He had the WORST WR room in the SEC most years. He kept got awful assistants and we called them the "Country Club". That also capped our potential. He clammed up in big games, capping our potential.

Ultimately, Dan averaged like 7 wins a year. He had 1 good season and we went 10-3, loosing handily to Bama.

I do not understand how so many here are infatuated with him. He did not win big, and his recruiting/poor assistants/high DC turnover/poor skill position players/poor big game playcalling meant we had no chance to ACTUALLY win the West. But so many here make excuses like "he played a harder schedule!" even when it's pointed out we play 4 top 11 teams this year.
    Fine.

Mullen 69-46 (.600)
    In sec 33-39 (.458)

Leach 17-17 (.500)
    In sec 10-15 (.400)

If mullen wasn't good, leach really sucks

vCash
    I get it. Being mediocre is boring, but we are honestly a good qb and wr away from being a really good team. Look at Bama for example, they are loaded with 5 stars..... but are beatable because they don't have any receivers that can take over a game like years past.

Will's a good kid..... but he's not going to win the big games. Rara's a decent receiver..... but he isn't going to demand any double teams.
    Last edited by defiantdog; 11-13-2022 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fine.

Mullen 69-46 (.600)
    In sec 33-39 (.458)

Leach 17-17 (.500)
    In sec 10-15 (.400)

Correct! Leach has been a disappointment. 2020 was a pass because he had to clean up the cancer JoMo left. 2021 we were statistically the most unlucky team in CFB and if we had a FG kicker nobody wold have an issue. This season has been a massive disappointment because the offense has not taken the step forward it needed to. If THIS is the Leach offense, then Leach needs to go because this is not good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fine.

Mullen 69-46 (.600)
    In sec 33-39 (.458)

Leach 17-17 (.500)
    In sec 10-15 (.400)

I wonder what our 3rd quarter stats are this year..... because thats when we have lost each game.