Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Akron basketball thread

vCash
    We should sign an indefinite contract to play in this event every year, and also its equivalents in other sports. Being "the Barstool school of the SEC" would get us some extra attention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The difference in coaching between Howland and Jans is staggering. If he can figure out recruiting we are going to go to a lot of ncaa tournaments
    I'm impressed.

vCash
    Awesome to see 2H adjustments. This team will be fun to watch.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't feel like anyone has freaked out in this thread. We have completely taken over this game after a slow 2nd half start, but there was plenty to critique
    Definitely agree

vCash
    Jans wearing the Scripted State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    We should sign an indefinite contract to play in this event every year, and also its equivalents in other sports. Being "the Barstool school of the SEC" would get us some extra attention.
    I?m all for them even doing an OOC football game, I can only imagine the commentary, I thought that was very entertaining, just my thoughts

vCash
    Really good win! But if you look at the box score it was all Tolu and Jeffries. We have to establish a reliable PG/SG.. Davis and Moore need to start on Sunday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Agree. People talk about "growing our brand." This is how you would do it. Barstool is more popular than ESPN among young people

vCash
    aTmCC dominating UTSA

vCash
    Guys, we looked pretty good. I'm cautiously optimistic. We play hard and hustle. We were hot from 3, which isn't going to be common but we still win handily shooting average from 3.

And yes the barstool spin to keep you interested because of betting lines was quite entertaining. Even I was screaming for Akron to shoot the ball!!

vCash
    That was fun. On to Sunday.

vCash
    Effort, or lack thereof, is what deflated the fanbase into apathy with Howland. Even some games that we won seemed to be lethargic and unfocused. Defense was never there.

It has literally flipped with Jans, and it is showing up already with the fans.

vCash
    Totally agree. I'm already looking at some games on the schedule to bring the family. It's not rocket science, play hard and win games and the fans will support you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Effort, or lack thereof, is what deflated the fanbase into apathy with Howland. Even some games that we won seemed to be lethargic and unfocused. Defense was never there.

Just seeing Jans chew out Stevenson for stepping out of bounds was refreshing to see. Howland may have been too nice a guy. He just didn't hold the players accountable for their mistakes

vCash
    I unfortunately attended most of the Boyd years at State. And then went to college or lived around Starkville during the Williams/Stansbury years and became a die hard MSU BBall fan. I attempted to watch a good bit of MSU basketball when Howland was hired b/c I was excited about a "brand name", especially after Ray, but those years were almost as excruciating as the Ray years... so much potential and just a sh*tty product year after year. I am so excited again for Jans' style of basketball that he brings! Win or lose, we will play hard every game and I'm good with that! Some good recruiting and we may return to a great basketball program again!

vCash

I agree on effort. You give me a team that dives for loose balls, defends, and plays with tenacious effort and I will support them. I used to be a huge basketball guy. When we let cancers like Dee Bost destroy our program, it’s been hard for me to get back on board. And that’s been years.

vCash
    I honestly cannot recall a moment of Howland chewing out a ref or player.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Agree 100% what's up with that?
    No idea, but maybe he is making a point.

vCash
    I honestly cannot recall a moment of Howland chewing out a ref or player.
    I?ve seen more emotion in two games from Jans than I saw in 7 years from Howland. Jans also seems like he puts a lot more of an emphasis on engaging with the fans.

This team may not even be as good as several of Howland?s teams but it feels like fans are already starting to identify with this group more.

vCash
    This team just feels like they aren?t going to roll over and play dead. It?s amazing to me how much talent we had in the Howland years with little to show for it.