Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength of Schedule - OM and Us

vCash

Strength of Schedule - OM and Us

When looking at OM early success, I also considered that they had cupcakes for the 1st 6 or 7 games compared to us. as the season has played out to date, I now think they are somewhat similar due to both being in SEC West. My thoughts:

1. OOC Games - We both go 4-0 after we beat ETS easily, however they had some trouble with both Tulsa and Troy.

2. We both lose to LSU at their place, but even though we didn't show up in second half, they got stomped.

3. aTm - We handle at home and they barely beat at their place.

4. We handle AR at home. OM TBD at AR,

5. bama - We don't show up as usual (home or way over the years). OM TBD at their place.

6. AU - OM barely beats at home. MSU TBD at our place.

7. They get vandy forever. We get GA TWO years in a row. (Thanks for nothing SEC Office)

8. KY - We don't show up there. KY gives them the game at OM.

9. State at OM. We could be in a position to win even at their place.

My humble opinion - Except for having Ga to their forever vandy, we take care of LSU and KY, we are in Top 10 or 15 with similar schedules and TBD games still coming to "Tell The Tale". Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 11-03-2022 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Fairly similar....UPig has played the country's toughest schedule
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    When looking at OM early success, I also considered that they had cupcakes for the 1st 6 or 7 games compared to us. as the season has played out to date, I now think they are somewhat similar due to both being in SEC West. My thoughts:

1. OOC Games - We both go 4-0 after we beat ETS easily, however they had some trouble with both Tulsa and Troy.

2. We both lose to LSU at their place, but even though we didn't show up in second half, they got stomped.

5. bama - We don't show up as usual (home or way over the years). OM TBD at their place.

7. They get vandy forever. We get GA TWO years in a row. (Thanks for nothing SEC Office)

My humble opinion - Except for having Ga to their forever vandy, we take care of LSU and KY, we are in Top 10 or 15 with similar schedules and TBD games still coming to "Tell The Tale". Hail State!
    Good post, they have a hostess cupcake schedule and yes we would be 8-1 with their schedule. UK at home we would beat and they would lose on the road. We aren’t good enough to beat UK on the road without Sharp(our line is already a,little shaky) and Johnson our best rb.

Next year the scenarios get flipped, we get an easy schedule and they get a much harder schedule. This is one more reason Lane will leave for auburn after this year.

vCash
    All that goes out the window thanksgiving night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    All that goes out the window thanksgiving night.
    This. The Egg Bowl is one of the least predictable football games in the history of football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. The Egg Bowl is one of the least predictable football games in the history of football.
    If we beat AU and look good doing it, beat ETS badly, and play well against GA, OM could be our first big road win! Disclaimer: I know, "If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bust his tail every time he jumps!".
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 11-03-2022 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post

I agree with all that but Kentucky. Ole Miss beat Kentucky and Kentucky whipped our ass. No need to sugarcoat it.
    At this point we just need to win at least 3 out of the last 4, go to a mediocre bowl, and call it a year.

vCash
    Ole Miss will most likely be 9-2 going into the Egg Bowl and State 7-4. Should be similar to last year. We need to beat them if we don’t want to see them in another NY6 bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Not sure about that. It has seemed to me that when OM has the better team, they win. If we have the better team, we don't always win. That's just been my observation since I enrolled in 1961.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Not sure about that. It has seemed to me that when OM has the better team, they win. If we have the better team, we don't always win. That's just been my observation since I enrolled in 1961.
    Except in 2001 when Kevin Fant beat Eli.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I agree with all that but Kentucky. Ole Miss beat Kentucky and Kentucky whipped our ass. No need to sugarcoat it.
    At this point we just need to win at least 3 out of the last 4, go to a mediocre bowl, and call it a year.
    We scored 17 on the road against UK. Ole Miss scored 22.

We allowed 27 on the road against Kentucky. Ole Miss allowed 20

Not really that different except you have to kind of take into account the fact that Kentucky has never won a SEC West road contest with Stoops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Good post, they have a hostess cupcake schedule and yes we would be 8-1 with their schedule. UK at home we would beat and they would lose on the road. We aren’t good enough to beat UK on the road without Sharp(our line is already a,little shaky) and Johnson our best rb.
    Do we know when we can expect DJ and Sharpe back? This weekend, maybe???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fairly similar....UPig has played the country's toughest schedule
    And Upig is gonna beat ole miss.

vCash
    Egg bowl 15.....a most disappointing team, I told coach that considering om’s defense and the DOGS TEAM THE DOGS WOULD lose, even though “Dak Prescott won’t lose his senior year egg bowl in Davis wade”....... I truly hope CML will somehow do something different and win in ox.......Please...Please do what has to be done to win in the grove....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We scored 17 on the road against UK. Ole Miss scored 22.

We allowed 27 on the road against Kentucky. Ole Miss allowed 20

Not really that different except you have to kind of take into account the fact that Kentucky has never won a SEC West road contest with Stoops.
    I was alluding more to the statement that we didn't show up for the Kentucky game and Kentucky gave the game to Ole Miss. They won and we lost. It happens.
    I will add that we only scored 10 offensive points against Kentucky and it sure felt like an ass whipping while I was watching it.

vCash
    I'm gonna go back and get the exact numbers but I know for sure we've beaten them at least a half dozen times in the last 40 years when they've been favored and it's probably more than that. Then you've got the weird games like the immaculate deflection, the pick and kick, and some other really odd games along the way that make it very unpredictable. 2013 when Dak came off the bench they were favored and 2001 when fant beat Eli are recent ones but I'm gonna get the exact number.

vCash
    I mean, you are kinda correct but

2009 OM was better State won
    2013 OM was better state won
    2016 OM was better state won

2014 we were both pretty even, I think we were slightly better. We would have won if it was in Starkville. Ole Miss was more up for that game than any game ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    Egg bowl 15.....a most disappointing team, I told coach that considering om’s defense and the DOGS TEAM THE DOGS WOULD lose, even though “Dak Prescott won’t lose his senior year egg bowl in Davis wade”....... I truly hope CML will somehow do something different and win in ox.......Please...Please do what has to be done to win in the grove....
    Weirdly enough. We play better in Oxford than starkville. 2 of the last 3 oxford egg bowls have been State blow outs by 30+

vCash
    Ole miss sec record 2009 4-4, 2013 3-5, 2016 2-6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I was alluding more to the statement that we didn't show up for the Kentucky game and Kentucky gave the game to Ole Miss. They won and we lost. It happens.
    I will add that we only scored 10 offensive points against Kentucky and it sure felt like an ass whipping while I was watching it.
    And I will add that not all 22 of Ole Miss's points were scored by their offense either.