Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Cohen

vCash

John Cohen

Not heart broken about losing Cohen, never been a huge fan of him as our AD. His track record is not so great in the major sports. Cannizzaro was a bad hire (I originally gave Cohen a pass on this one until I got some additional insight that changed my perspective), NML was a disaster, JoMo wasn't good (even if it was a great hire on paper, he botched the firing after the egg bowl so we waited until after the bowl game), he ran his mouth during the second baseball search. The jury is still out on the new basketball hires (I hope both do very well). IMO all coaching hires are crapshoots BUT he really hasn't hit on the first one in any sport. As far as raising $$; my enthusiasm to give is lower than it has ever been. I gave up my football tickets 2 years ago (had same seats for a decade+). I still give but not as much and as enthusiastically as I used to.

All that being said it is concerning to me that we are losing our second alumnus AD to another program. My question is why? Cohen took a substantial pay cut to become AD; so hard to believe it's money. Cohen does t strike me as a guy that believes MSU/he can't compete, so it isn't that. Auburn is. Dumpster fire in football, and known for being run by boosters. Plus it's little brother to Bama. So it isn't like he's leaving for a no-lose
    Situation. So shy leave?

All I can figure is:

1. Cohen has some things he wants to pursue to better the program and his upper leadership is stifling him so he's leaving
    OR
    2. He feels
    That he's tied to Leach and that he is not going to be successful here and wants to get out while he can.

What do y'all think "

vCash
    He pissed off the wrong person.

vCash
    Nell woke up Wednesday and realized there is no Target with Unisex bathrooms in Starkville.

vCash
    He always will be a Dawg much like Polk. Don’t really care where he’s going as much as what a new guy can do for us. Better days. Time for Keenum to show if he’s worth his salt.

vCash
    I'm really confused as to how exactly we got here. Does anyone actually know why this all went down?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Not heart broken about losing Cohen, never been a huge fan of him as our AD. His track record is not so great in the major sports. Cannizzaro was a bad hire (I originally gave Cohen a pass on this one until I got some additional insight that changed my perspective), NML was a disaster, JoMo wasn't good (even if it was a great hire on paper, he botched the firing after the egg bowl so we waited until after the bowl game), he ran his mouth during the second baseball search. The jury is still out on the new basketball hires (I hope both do very well). IMO all coaching hires are crapshoots BUT he really hasn't hit on the first one in any sport. As far as raising $$; my enthusiasm to give is lower than it has ever been. I gave up my football tickets 2 years ago (had same seats for a decade+). I still give but not as much and as enthusiastically as I used to.

All that being said it is concerning to me that we are losing our second alumnus AD to another program. My question is why? Cohen took a substantial pay cut to become AD; so hard to believe it's money. Cohen does t strike me as a guy that believes MSU/he can't compete, so it isn't that. Auburn is. Dumpster fire in football, and known for being run by boosters. Plus it's little brother to Bama. So it isn't like he's leaving for a no-lose
    Situation. So shy leave?

All I can figure is:

1. Cohen has some things he wants to pursue to better the program and his upper leadership is stifling him so he's leaving
    OR
    2. He feels
    That he's tied to Leach and that he is not going to be successful here and wants to get out while he can.

What do y'all think "
    The word is that he pissed off a very wealthy donor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post

Situation. So shy leave?

All I can figure is:

OR
    2. He feels

What do y'all think "
    Good post.

Few things,

Auburn is a mess in football, but one correct hire can clean that up extremely fast. It's not like here, where that isn't going to happen. Auburn basketball is where MSU basketball should be, currently, or at least should have been at some point over the last decade. Instead, they have the new building, and a recent final 4, while we are attempting to revamp a campus eyesore to gain support/attendance back that has evaporated. Auburn baseball is competitive, a step down from here, but you can bet a new emphasis will be placed regarding the program under Cohen. Those are some realities and selling points.

The negatives are very real as well. The football program will need a successful, sitting head coach from a P5 program that checks all the criteria. A big recruiter, a successful, proven scheme of offense, someone that can handle booster clubs on the merit of results and won't capitulate to big money assholes that don't know what they're talking about. A significant network of coaching connections. Real knowledge of the SEC landscape, not bullshit talk from some yankee or west coast journeyman. And a big recruiter that understands real rivalries.

If they can pull that off in football, Cohen will be successful, if they don't, he won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Good post.

Few things,

Auburn is a mess in football, but one correct hire can clean that up extremely fast. It's not like here, where that isn't going to happen. Auburn basketball is where MSU basketball should be, currently, or at least should have been at some point over the last decade. Instead, they have the new building, and a recent final 4, while we are attempting to revamp a campus eyesore to gain support/attendance back that has evaporated. Auburn baseball is competitive, a step down from here, but you can bet a new emphasis will be placed regarding the program under Cohen. Those are some realities and selling points.

The negatives are very real as well. The football program will need a successful, sitting head coach from a P5 program that checks all the criteria. A big recruiter, a successful, proven scheme of offense, someone that can handle booster clubs on the merit of results and won't capitulate to big money assholes that don't know what they're talking about. A significant network of coaching connections. Real knowledge of the SEC landscape, not bullshit talk from some yankee or west coast journeyman. And a big recruiter that understands real rivalries.

If they can pull that off in football, Cohen will be successful, if they don't, he won't.
    Their fans are basically demanding Deion sanders right now

vCash
    What I can't figure out is why Auburn wants him? Or why he wants to go there.

I've heard that Stricklin was in trouble for protecting Dan after the 2015 Egg Bowl debacle and Keenum told him that he would fire both of them if 2016 wasn't better. Stricklin left shortly after Dan lost to South Alabama. So that adds up.

Cohen pissing off a major booster seems plausible knowing his reputation and personality, but I haven't heard anything firm on that. Still not sure why Auburn would want him. They of all schools need someone that can deal well with boosters.

I have heard that Keenum didn't really want to hire Cohen in the first place so I don't think Keenum firing him would be something completely surprising. There was a reason why Keenum was upset at the Clarion-Ledger for leaking that Cohen was going to be the AD as it sabotaged the search at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Good post.

Few things,

The question is can Cohen make that hire in football? I really don't think he can. They need a Lane Kiffin. He'll probably hire Joe Judge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What I can't figure out is why Auburn wants him? Or why he wants to go there.

I've heard that Stricklin was in trouble for protecting Dan after the 2015 Egg Bowl debacle and Keenum told him that he would fire both of them if 2016 wasn't better. Stricklin left shortly after Dan lost to South Alabama. So that adds up.

Cohen pissing off a major booster seems plausible knowing his reputation and personality, but I haven't heard anything firm on that. Still not sure why Auburn would want him. They of all schools need someone that can deal well with boosters.

I have heard that Keenum didn't really want to hire Cohen in the first place so I don't think Keenum firing him would be something completely surprising. There was a reason why Keenum was upset at the Clarion-Ledger for leaking that Cohen was going to be the AD as it sabotaged the search at the time.
    I just read their thread on the AU family message board.

Multiple people are saying that Cohen is apparently very good friends with Deion Sanders and is planning on hiring Deion Sanders

Is that true ???

vCash
    Last paragraph has a lot of truths in it. Keenum was in Atlanta interviewing 2 damn good folks and Cohen heard about it? rather the male cheerleader from Jackson prep did and they planted the story in the CL. Keenum was screwed by his own workers and STILL let it happen. That to me is not leadership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Their fans are basically demanding Deion sanders right now
    Yeah, their crazier fans. If I'm Auburn, I have my guy selected and will be doing exactly whatever it takes to get him out from a division rival. There's one way to return to national prominence in my mind and he's the ticket. Oh yeah, need an AD in the chair when this happens. If they fail to do this, Cohen will have a tough time when the demons come.

vCash
    I think the rumor about his "family" may be one of the reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I'm really confused as to how exactly we got here. Does anyone actually know why this all went down?
    Agree, this was kind of sudden. Who's got the scoop?

vCash
    I told y'all back during baseball season that Cohen was in trouble with the big BDC members. Honestly, I'm surprised he made it this long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    Last paragraph has a lot of truths in it. Keenum was in Atlanta interviewing 2 damn good folks and Cohen heard about it? rather the male cheerleader from Jackson prep did and they planted the story in the CL. Keenum was screwed by his own workers and STILL let it happen. That to me is not leadership.
    I remember at the time Stricklin announced he was leaving that there were some public comments made by Cohen and others that made it sound like Cohen was immediately inserting himself into AD business. Whether or not he was asked to do so, I don?t know. It just seemed like a done deal before it started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I think the rumor about his "family" may be one of the reasons.
    His family is from Tuscaloosa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    His family is from Tuscaloosa.
    I don't think that is the reason. Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I told y'all back during baseball season that Cohen was in trouble with the big BDC members. Honestly, I'm surprised he made it this long.
    What in particular did Cohen do to get into hot water with BDC members?